PDA

View Full Version : New Leather Carpenters Apron

Keith Outten
08-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I asked CW McClellan (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=16634) if he would make me a custom leather carpenters apron a few weeks ago. After I sent him my twenty year old canvas apron to use as a pattern here is the apron he made for me.

It has 15 pockets including the three pencil/scale pockets at the top. Very comfortable and made to last...probably my last shop apron as I doubt I will ever wear it out. I placed an old hard drive magnet in the lower left pocket (I'm left handed) so screw drivers and other stuff would stick to the front for quick access when I am installing signs.

I am so pleased with the quality of CW's work and now I have an apron built to my specifications that is just awesome :)

Maurice Ungaro
08-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Keith,
Are these going to be available to the rest of us, for a fee, of course?

Jim O'Dell
08-10-2007, 1:30 PM
I think you can contact CW directly at the information on the link Keith supplied and make arrangements. CW was kind enough to donate one to the free stuff drawing a few months back. You can check out that thread for possibly some more details. Seems like there were a couple pictures as well. Looks like great craftsmanship! Congrats Keith! Jim.

Keith Outten
08-10-2007, 2:43 PM
Maurice,

CW is retired and welcomes the work. Anyone who wants a custom apron or other leatherwork should contact CW at the link in my post above. He is a real nice guy and I think his fees are very reasonable.

I looked for someone to provide custom aprons for us here at The Creek for a long time before I found CW. Like the shirts and other stuff Jackie and I have coordinated for our Members we look for quality items at reasonable prices. Feel free to contact CW and let him know what your looking for, he will surely be able to help. I believe we are fortunate to have someone like CW who is willing to provide custom leather work for our Members and I trust him to be honest and fair.

Note that The Creek doesn't get involved in any transactions between our Members and McCellen LeatherCraft so there isn't any markup for SMC. You deal with CW directly. I have two of his aprons now and I am more than pleased with his workmanship and prices.

Treat yourself to something nice, this is a rare opportunity these days.

Philip Duffy
08-10-2007, 3:43 PM
You sure can tell when a guy in not a wood turner when he has all those pockets showing! So, can you wear it inside-out, like I do my b'q one? Phil

Keith Outten
08-10-2007, 4:53 PM
Philip,

The first apron CW made for me was a turners apron. Click on the link below for the pic.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63646&d=1177952029

The new carpenters apron is for sign work which I do on my day job and I have my own sign shop at home as well. The picture in the new carpenters apron was taken early this morning. I was in my shop working on cherry panels for some high end signs for the Student Union at Christopher Newport University. The next stop for the panels is a CNC router, a lacquer finish, then I will add gold laser cut letters to the raised / routed text and finally start bending wrought iron hangers. I also install my own signs, the new apron is perfect for installation work.

The right tool for the job :)

Randal Stevenson
08-11-2007, 7:08 PM
Apron viewpoint?

What aprons and why/when, do you want the pockets to have a cover?

I can understand why on the turning apron, but why not on the carpenters apron?

Seems to me, you would want them on an apron, but not on a belt, what am I missing?

Jim Becker
08-11-2007, 7:21 PM
Wow, that looks like outstanding work, Keith! If I wore such a thing, I'd be putting in my order "yesterday"! LOL But I'm a long-tail, pocket-tee kinda guy...

John Bush
08-12-2007, 8:36 PM
I had CW make a shop/turning apron for me and it was so nicely done I had him make two more for gifts to mentors. For mine, I had him add lower pockets, breast pocket for pencil, rule, and marking knife(in pic the point is up, usually it is down), and a patch of velcro to keep the DC remote handy. The other two just have breast pockets. The middle one is soft leather, the other two have a rolled finish. They snap on the sides, but it is easier to pull it over your head. The soft woven neck cuffs are detachable and do keep the chips out. The "stuff" above the pocket on mine is dust stuck on spiderwebs. Guess I haven't been turning enough lately. Of course, the branded name plate with SMC logo is there too:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/PICT0098-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/PICT0100.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/PICT0102.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/PICT0103.jpg

Keith Outten
08-12-2007, 9:26 PM
Apron viewpoint?

What aprons and why/when, do you want the pockets to have a cover?

I can understand why on the turning apron, but why not on the carpenters apron?

Seems to me, you would want them on an apron, but not on a belt, what am I missing?

Randal,

I think that everyone has their own idea of the perfect apron and I guess it depends on the job. On my new carpenters apron a cover over the pockets would interfere with access. Wood chips aren't a problem when I wear this one.

John,

Those are some great looking aprons. I had CW make me a cow hide turning apron, I was so impressed I just had to have a nice carpenters apron made as well. I can't turn any better but I look good :)

Chris Padilla
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow, that looks like outstanding work, Keith! If I wore such a thing, I'd be putting in my order "yesterday"! LOL But I'm a long-tail, pocket-tee kinda guy...

On a whim, I tried out the new Festool apron because, well, I love everything F green!

It turns out it is F blue but the classic green logo was embroidered on it! :D

Anyway, much to my shock, I'm LOVING wearing an apron with so many easily accessible pockets. I no longer need to look around for my steel rule, pencil, or tape measure. I never thought I'd be an apron-wearing ww'er but low and behold, I'm a convert! :D I bet I save at least 30-60 minutes over a weekend of simply looking for things I've set down! Besides, LOML thinks I look "simply smashing" in my F apron! :D