PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the garage?

Joe Pelonio
08-10-2007, 11:10 AM
My wife parks her car in the garage, my truck stays outside because the other half of the garage is storage and tools.

I recently noticed the same applies to most of my neighbors, the wife's car in the garage, the husband's outside. It doesn't seem to matter which car is newer/more valuable. In fact mine's 5 years newer than hers.

Ed Falis
08-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Just be glad your tools aren't in the driveway ;-)

Jim O'Dell
08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Mine won't fit in the garage...too tall by about 2". Jim.

Keith Starosta
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
My wife told me when we moved into the house that I could have the garage, if she got the rest of the house. I think it took me about 1 second to say, "DONE!" :D

- Keith

Matt Meiser
08-10-2007, 12:33 PM
When we moved it was a requirement that there be a separate garage from the shop. I'd like to add a third bay to the garage, but the well is just in front of it and the electric and phone run just behind it (side entry attached garage.) More realistic would be to build a second garage for the camper, tractor, toys, and Mule, but that won't happen any time soon.

For about a year we had three vehicles--her car, my older truck and the newest was a minivan. The van didn't get driven much and sat outside because scraping the windows in the morning stinks.

Nancy Laird
08-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm the "we have no garage" vote. When we bought this house, there was a detached 3-car garage back of the house that was being used as an auto repair and sales garage. The day we looked at it, LOML took a brief glance at the house and took off up the drive at a lope to look at the garage. I turned to our realtor and told him "This is the house we are going to buy." Said 3-car garage has morphed into a 24x36' workshop, with an addition for a finishing room (and another addition going on this fall for a turning/storage room). Overhead garage doors have been replaced and it doesn't look like it was ever a garage. Fortunately, there's a concrete apron in front of the gar.. er..workshop where we park our cars. The garage that was part of the house is now a pantry and office. Poor cars.:(

Nancy (133 days)

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
In my time of woodworking, my agreement with the LOML is that if you want furniture and the benefits of my woodworking hobby? Then all vehicles stay outside. :D

Glad that we now have a full dedicated shop!!!

Al Willits
08-10-2007, 1:19 PM
I get the garage/shop as long as it isn't hailing, then she puts her car in.
My truck sits outside.
Pretty much the same as Joe's I think.

Al

Steve Clardy
08-10-2007, 1:23 PM
No garage.

But sometimes I can make room in the shop for three vehicles if theres a danger of a hail storm.

I do have a place [16x32] in my shop addition set up for mechanical work, but never seem to be able to keep the car in there.

Keith Beck
08-10-2007, 1:31 PM
I heard on the radio today that only 40% of Americans actually park their cars in the garage. Most use the garage for junk storage. At least those of us who have our shops in the garage are putting it to better use than just storing junk.

Keith

Scott Loven
08-10-2007, 1:55 PM
My wife has an attached garage. I have a detatched 1000sf garage, shop, and shed combo.
Scott

Mark Pruitt
08-10-2007, 2:33 PM
Mine won't fit in the garage...too tall by about 2". Jim.
your WHAT?

Wait......don't answer that......:eek:

:p

Mark Pruitt
08-10-2007, 2:36 PM
The question is actually confusing the way the answers are worded. Both "The Husband" and "garage used for shop" are true for me as I suspect they are for most others.

Rob Russell
08-10-2007, 3:06 PM
2 car attached garage. Her vehicle parks inside unless I want to catch all heck. If there is stuff to be stored,my car parks outside (and has now for 2 years). The truck is outside because it's too long to fit in the garage (Dodge Quad Cab w/ 8' bed).

John Schreiber
08-10-2007, 3:21 PM
Summer time all the cars are outside.

Most of the winter, her car in the gar . . . shop, mine outside.

When it gets wicked cold or we're expecting snow, both cars inside.

The 18 year old has her car outside year round.

glenn bradley
08-10-2007, 3:23 PM
Mine, ALL MINE!!! Oh, wait a minute . . . I live alone.

Joe Pelonio
08-10-2007, 3:33 PM
The 18 year old has her car outside year round.
When my son was still here he had to park on the street. Since he moved out this spring there's no longer a path worn on the lawn between the front door and where he parked.

Bart Leetch
08-10-2007, 3:39 PM
If we had only a 2 car garage it would become my shop.

We would have a small out building for storage.

Jon Lanier
08-10-2007, 3:58 PM
Garage is for cars. At least that is what my wife says. :o

But I'd agree with her only in the winter. I will for big outdoor projects and spraying take out the cars and own it for a day or so.

I've got a 14' X 30' space walled out in the basement since we built. That tends to suffice.... for now.

David G Baker
08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
The LOML has the kitchen and part of the living room. The car, truck, tiller,snowblower and some storage have the garage. I and storage have the basement. I have the upstairs. I have the small barn and lean-to. I have the 30x40 pole barn. Did I say the LOML has the kitchen?

James Rambo
08-11-2007, 11:10 AM
The attached garage is for my 1965 chevelle, and some extra household stuff. So The wife told me I needed to build a detached garage for the '65. I started it but before it was done I bought a '64 to rebuild and it is 'under construction' in the now finished detached. And the 2 daily drivers are in the driveway.No problem with weather most days (florida, not too many hail, snow or freezing days)

Art Mulder
08-11-2007, 1:03 PM
This poll totally ignores people who only have one vehicle. :confused:

I suspect that whoever brings home the groceries and doesn't want to unload them in the rain (snow, hail, sleet, whatever) is the one who gets the garage in the majority of situations. :rolleyes: is that usually your wife?

My shop is in the basement, and good thing, as the garage is needed for bikes, scooters, other toys, and so one... as well as the car.
Even in nice weather, the van gets the garage, since on this small city lot we need the driveway for kids play space.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2007, 1:06 PM
Who gets the garage?

Depends on what state you live in...who represents you and your soon-to-be-ex...what your attorney's relationship with the judge is and how long you were married before you made this disasterous mistake....:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
08-11-2007, 3:28 PM
The one remaining "garage bay" in our outbuilding is for lawn and garden tools, storage and for the big orange power tool (Kubota) to live during the winter months...

David G Baker
08-11-2007, 8:06 PM
Who gets the garage?

Depends on what state you live in...who represents you and your soon-to-be-ex...what your attorney's relationship with the judge is and how long you were married before you made this disasterous mistake....:eek: :rolleyes: :D
Ken,
Are trying to let us know that the attorney got the garage and everything in it.
My last attorney cost me over $20K. The original cost of the California house, garage and shop was $21K. It cost me $20K to move my tools and equipment to Michigan. Maybe I should have let her have the garage?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2007, 8:09 PM
Ken,
Are trying to let us know that the attorney got the garage and everything in it.
My last attorney cost me over $20K. The original cost of the California house, garage and shop was $21K. It cost me $20K to move my tools and equipment to Michigan. Maybe I should have let her have the garage?

Dave,

Nope.........Not qualified to give advice......just listing possible variables...:D

Bruce Page
08-11-2007, 9:21 PM
I "own" the garage but I also do all snow & ice removal without complaint.

David G Baker
08-11-2007, 11:30 PM
The LOML loves to mow our around 2 acres of lawn/weeds but I haven't found a way to make her love the snowblower, yet, but I'm working on it. When that happens I will give up some of the garage.

Mark Patoka
08-12-2007, 5:09 AM
We have a two car garage, half of which is mine that is jam packed with tools, lumber, lawn tools. All the tools are mobile so the rule is her car can get parked inside (most) every night. The garage was a key consideration for tools/workshop when we moved into this house.

I think the one observation about how most garages are really just junk storage is spot-on. A co-worker once told me that we're a society that will park a $30,000 car outside year-round so we have storage space for a $1,000 worth of junk. And seeing some of my neighbors garages, he's right.