PDA

View Full Version : Fair entries

Patrick Taylor
08-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm entering two items today for next weeks fair. There's a vessels category and spindle turned items category, and one entry per category is allowed. I'm going to enter these two (the pen I will convert to a fountain first).

Why they have a category for "wreaths made only of pine cones" but not a "pens" category is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Anyone else doing fair entries this time of year? This is my first time entering anything in a fair so I have no idea what to expect. I also have no idea what the judges are like or what type of things they look for. I guess I'll hope for the best and pay attention for next year.

Tony De Masi
08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Why they have a category for "wreaths made only of pine cones" but not a "pens" category is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Patrick, must be that whole uppper crust Montgomery County thing:D

Here's hoping you do very well.

Tony

Patrick Taylor
08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Patrick, must be that whole uppper crust Montgomery County thing

Ouch! If it's really an upper crust thing, doesn't the upper crust like nice pens? ;)

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2007, 1:07 PM
Yep Patrick I did this year. Take a look at this post. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62930

I had a lot of fun with it and learned a few things. I will probably do it again next year as I have already had some pen orders and I need to make a half dozen birdhouses that people have ordered. So you get your name out there. Go for it.

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2007, 1:23 PM
Nice looking entries Patrick! I wish you luck and hope to see a post very soon showing off your ribbons!

Mike A. Smith
08-10-2007, 1:57 PM
Good luck! If you take home a ribbon they might start a category.

Allen Neighbors
08-10-2007, 6:45 PM
Make a name! Good luck to you. Hope you win, and then win again!!
Maybe, if you 'mingle' with the powers that be during the fair, you might get in some points toward them beginning another category (as Mike said).

Patrick Taylor
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys. I dropped off my stuff today, and they said they've made an impromptu pen category in the past when they get enough entries to break it out from the spindle turned items category. So far the competition was pretty thin but we'll see. Judging is tomorrow so I can find out how I did on Sunday afternoon when they open it for viewing. I'll let y'all know when I know! :)

Keith Burns
08-12-2007, 5:35 PM
Nice entries Patrick !! I've entered items in the fair here the last two years and got ribbons. Unfortunately very little money comes with them:)

Pat Doble
08-12-2007, 9:30 PM
Nice items Patrick.

If you'd like some pine cones to enter that catergory next year, let me know. I just ran accross 5 bankers boxed and 2 garbage bags full of them that my wife is hoarding for some future use (and all the family members already all have a pine cone 'holiday' wreath:D ).

But I suppose she could say the same about all of the blanks and the 10 or 12 box elder logs that are sitting in my garage stall right now....

Can't wait to hear the results.

Neal Addy
08-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Nice entries, Patrick! Good luck in the fair.