PDA

View Full Version : Gripper on sale

Steve Roxberg
08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a pair of these and love them. You never see them this cheap.

Limited quanities.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_081007.htm

I'm tempted to buy another one, but must resist.

I feel very safe when using this, and very much in control of the work piece.

Bob Wingard
08-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a pair of those complete with the available accessoies .. .. .. I'm finding new ways to use them every day. They are the most used accessories in my shop. Every time I set up a machine to do something, I'm looking for a way to incorporate the use of the Grrippers. This is, by far the best pricing I've ever seen on them, and the DVD is very much worth viewing.

James Phillips
08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I have two already and the only thing stopping me from ordering more it that I only have two hands. This is a GREAT deal on a GREAT tool

Dan West
08-10-2007, 7:15 PM
Have you bought from these folks before? Opinions?

Bob Wingard
08-10-2007, 7:21 PM
I've bought from them at the shows and also mailorder .. .. .. never had a problem yet .. .. .. their "T"-track is some of the best you'll find anywhere .. .. .. VERY sturdy and it uses standard boltheads instead of special t-bolts.

Steve Roxberg
08-10-2007, 7:32 PM

Yes, I have bought from them both mail order and at the shows. You won't have a problem.

I'm on their e-mail list and get specials like this every now and then. They have some great ones now and again.

J D Thomas
08-10-2007, 8:32 PM
Tempting, but I already have 3.

Craig Stueve
08-10-2007, 9:02 PM
I have bought from them several times with zero problems. In fact I bought a metal MJ splitter from them at a show and realized when I got home that they gave me the full kerf version not the thin kerf. They took care of it very quickly. After only 1 email to them they called me the same day and the problem was solved.

BTW I have 2 Grippers which are designed to be used with the MJ splitter. The system is one of the few WWing show buys I have made that actually works better than I had anticipated. :)

I use on the TS, jointer, router table, and the BS when i am resawing.

Craig

Larry Rasmussen
08-11-2007, 11:54 AM
And here it is. I ordered the two I need. I've had the DVD for a while so now I guess that will make two back up copies. And for reference of readers, I've ordered from Peachtree once, went fine. They have been an Amazon seller for a while too so may be rated there. I took the opportunity to order a zero clearance insert and the steel filled splitter as well. The splitters are an excellent tool or accessory, really do make a difference. I happened to set a large box on mine while re organizing the shop and broke off the tabs. Anyway, post appreciated.
Larry R

glenn bradley
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Peachtree have never been a problem with any aspect of my orders. This model does not come with all the bells and whistles but speaking from experience; I don't use the 'extras' very often at all.

The larger shoe plate has it's place but I think I may have used it twice. I use the Grr-Rippers all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again; buy a pair. I use a configuration of the base unit with the one expansion (extra width) block 99% of the time.

Paul Douglass
08-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Is worth it to buy just one? Most of you respondants have two. If I buy 1 (don't want to spend the other $40 for the second one right now) wil I find a use for it?

Larry Rasmussen
08-12-2007, 3:12 PM
Gripper would have it's place mostly with shorter stock. One thing that I noticed and have seen commented on is that the video didn't really comment or expand on the use of two grippers for longer stuff. So answer is the use you get out of it may depend on your typical cutting needs. On the other hand, ha!, you could be using it every time in conjunction with pushing by hand or whatever device you use now for all cuts and enjoy it as a bombproof push block that really shines with the occasional narrow precise cut. I did order a pair.
Larry

Joe Mioux
08-12-2007, 3:43 PM
This thread cost me $47 and change.

Nissim Avrahami
08-13-2007, 2:02 AM
I did not want to "spoil the party" around the Grriper but in my opinion, it's one of the dangerous tools to use on the TS.

It would not get even "Visa" to cross the Atlantic to Europe because it is encouraging the operator to remove the blade guard and pass his hand over the spinning blade...

The EU safety regulation states;

"The Blade guard must be installed for any operation"...and

"The operator hands shall never pass over the guarded blade nor 150 mm (6") around the guarded blade"

Those regulations were not made to make my life difficult but to protect the woodworker...

Any operation that you can make with the Grriper, I can make without it and with the guard installed.

Safety, is a matter of personal opinion...what one think as safe operation, for other one it may look as unsafe operation.

Do you remember this post
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53599
I removed the pictures because a few members thought that it's unsafe operation but maybe the same people that commented "Unsafe" are using the Gripper that in my opinion is unsafe...

I still use this method and I still think that "shaving" 0.002" from a board that is pushed by two iron bars is safe.

Because I removed the pics from the post, here is what I'm doing...now, tell me that this operation is dangerous but working with the blade guard removed is safe...

BTW, I'm standing behind the Aluminum straight edge...

Best Regards
niki

John Lucas
08-13-2007, 5:45 AM
Niki,
You very carefully expound the use of the Gripper on an unsafe saw...one with no blade guard. Then you turn around and offer your method of usng the router in an unsafe condition. You say its safe because of your jigging. That is all that the Grripper users are saying...it is safe with their jigging 00the Grriper.

Nissim Avrahami
08-13-2007, 7:27 AM
Hi John

What I was trying to say is that when I posted my method, I got two negative "unsafe" replies and immediately removed the pictures because I think that the forum is watched also by beginners and amateurs and I would not like them to see something that members of the forum consider as dangerous operation.

If the forum members consider the Grriper as a safe tool to teach the young generation that "that's the correct way -remove the guard, remove the splitter and the anti-kickback pawls and use the Gripper"...well...

The EU made such a regulation, after it was found that many accidents happened because the guard was not installed...the accident can happen without any connection to the Grriper...many accidents happened during the blade run-down [and the new law imposes that "the TS blade must stop within 10 seconds" (and from 2008, all the woodworking power machines)]...

BTW, nice web site John

Regards
niki

Dominique Dechene
08-13-2007, 8:11 AM
Grrrrrr!!!! They don't ship to Canada..
I'm in a crisis :confused:

frank shic
08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
nissim, i'm not comfortable with the idea of removing the blade guard either, but that's the only ways to cut dados/rabbets on a tablesaw, right? in those situations i would still keep my hand as far away from the blade as possible. i just don't see the point of risking bodily injury for the sake of a cut.

Nissim Avrahami
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Frank

The law in EU is very clear "the blade guard must be installed for all operations" but...

When they cut dados or rabbets (I cannot, my arbor is too short for dado blade), they use an Overhead guard and that is acceptable. The problem is not during the cut of a dado, the blade is in any case invisible and below the work, the problem is before starting and after finishing the cut...the blade is totally exposed.

Just a few moments ago, I finish to cut some small pieces of less than 1²" (for a jig that I'll post soon)... with the blade guard installed and my hands far away of the blade

I agree with you, I would not risk a finger for the sake of cut....at the age of 63 every finger is very important...you know what I mean :)

Best Regards
niki

frank shic
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Nissim, I'm still waiting for your book. I even have a title thought up for you: the Frugal Woodworker!!!

Steve Roxberg
08-13-2007, 2:23 PM
I use them on my Router table and jointer more often than on the tablesaw so your concern isn't really an issue for me.

In addition the majority of folks in the US don't have the guard on their saw either way. So it actually increases safey, or decreases the risk of not having the guard on. The american style guards are well engineered and create their own problems.

Nissim Avrahami
08-13-2007, 2:24 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Frank but as long as I can walk to the garage, no book...

Your title is quite correct but it's because I don't like to pay for things that I can make myself and because in Poland the selection is still very poor and we just don't have the HD, HF, Sears and alike so most of the jigs and fixture must be done at home.

Thanks
niki

Dave Boxmeyer
08-13-2007, 2:53 PM
Thanks for the tip Steve - I just purchased a second grrripper and a steel micro jig (which was also $10 off.)

Allen Bookout
08-14-2007, 1:09 AM
I did not want to "spoil the party" around the Grriper but in my opinion, it's one of the dangerous tools to use on the TS.

I have seen this statement surface a few times over the last couple of years but I have not seen one accident report from a woodworker when using the Gripper and thousands of them are in use. And has aready been stated, many just use them on their router tables and/or jointers.

Just one other point in case you missed the proper way to use one; the Gripper can and at times should be used with a splitter.

I am not connected with Gripper. I am just a user when they will make things safer.

Roger Savatteri
08-14-2007, 1:19 AM
thanx for the tip too.......just ordered two.

..........didn't even blink as to their usefulness.

Ed Garrett
08-27-2007, 9:38 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the head up on this. I ended up ordering their Gripper deal on the last day. They had dropped the price to $39 (including the video).

I have always been skeptical of this device, but now that I've assembled it and tried it out, I can see that I'll put it to good use. But I still don't feel comfortable going over the blade with my hand on top of it. For ripping short stuff I still intend to stick with my own design which I think allows for safer vectoring of forces to keep the wood safely against the fence. I'm thinking I'll be using the Gripper a lot with the TS Sled.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Bart Leetch
08-28-2007, 1:29 AM
[QUOTE=Nissim Avrahami;639386]I did not want to "spoil the party" around the Grriper but in my opinion, it's one of the dangerous tools to use on the TS.

It would not get even "Visa" to cross the Atlantic to Europe because it is encouraging the operator to remove the blade guard and pass his hand over the spinning blade...

Nissim

If you stop & think just a bit :) :) :) you'll discover that the Gripper is a guard just not in the way your used to seeing one. If used properly it is a very safe way to work at the table-saw. I suspect that in a home shop set up the UK isn't nearly as strict as they are for industry.

I'll not try to bomb you because my country does thing differently than yours. So how about dialing it back a bit when you join a post like this. Don't blast us so hard you have your ways & we have ours & they both work just in a different way. I would probably learn to do it your way if I have to. But I don't:D but if your happy with it thats fine. I'm happy with the way they let us do our hobby here too.:) :D

Denny Rice
08-28-2007, 2:17 AM
Norm does not have a blade guard on his table saw.........:) .

Frederick Rowe
08-28-2007, 5:24 AM
I'll not try to bomb you because my country does thing differently than yours. So how about dialing it back a bit when you join a post like this. Don't blast us so hard you have your ways & we have ours & they both work just in a different way. I would probably learn to do it your way if I have to. But I don't:D but if your happy with it thats fine. I'm happy with the way they let us do our hobby here too.:) :D

Bart - Nissim is hardly blasting anyone. He politely stated his opinion and what the EU rules are. My guess is OSHA rules are probably the same. Here' a guy who if you follow his postings, is every bit as much a contributer to this community in a positive, constructive way. He's a member here, and deserves a little more respect.

Randal Stevenson
08-28-2007, 6:26 AM
I have seen this statement surface a few times over the last couple of years but I have not seen one accident report from a woodworker when using the Gripper and thousands of them are in use. And has aready been stated, many just use them on their router tables and/or jointers.

Just one other point in case you missed the proper way to use one; the Gripper can and at times should be used with a splitter.

I am not connected with Gripper. I am just a user when they will make things safer.

There was a poster on another forum that right before Christmas, was using his gripper on a piece on the router table and it tilted forward, sending his finger into the spinning bit.

Fredrick,
OSHA rules aren't the same in this country. Riving knives are in transition now (although been available on and inexpensive saw for some time), and other regulations are not the same.

Gary Muto
08-28-2007, 7:42 AM
The blade guard has been removed to allow for better camera viewing. That's his story and he's sticking to it.

Bart Leetch
08-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Bart - Nissim is hardly blasting anyone. He politely stated his opinion and what the EU rules are. My guess is OSHA rules are probably the same. Here' a guy who if you follow his postings, is every bit as much a contributer to this community in a positive, constructive way. He's a member here, and deserves a little more respect.

Frederick

Nissim has my respect & a little ribbing along the way I guess you didn't notice :) :) :) these are supposed to help soften thengs a little & help to understand that while you can't see facial expressions which are a big part of communication we are not completely serious all the time.:) :) :) :D :eek:

Bruce Benjamin
08-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi John

What I was trying to say is that when I posted my method, I got two negative "unsafe" replies and immediately removed the pictures because I think that the forum is watched also by beginners and amateurs and I would not like them to see something that members of the forum consider as dangerous operation.
niki

Hi Niki. First let me say that most of the time I'm a big fan of your posts and frugal yet creative ways of thinking. I think I was the first to point out the safety issue with your method of jointing on your router table. I don't know if there were only two negative replies or not but I believe that one of the other replies was from Pat Warner. Pat is considered by many to be one of the most knowledgeable router guys around and the author of some good router books. He's all about safety and I believe he really knows his stuff. I wouldn't so lightly dismiss his comments because he was only one of a few who replied negatively. Your method has definite potential for danger and is widely accepted by many authors and other, "Experts" who have probably used a router more than you or me, as unsafe with a great potential for kickback. You may only take a small 002" off but others may decide to take a bigger bite. Or you might decide to do that once yourself, or not.

That being said, I can see your point about the potential for danger with the Gripper. I'm a firm believer in the use of a splitter and blade guard whenever possible. The use of the Gripper almost certainly has many people using them instead of a blade guard and splitter even when there's no reason to remove them. I don't have a Gripper however I can imagine some operations where it's better than the alternative. The alternative is awkward push sticks with very narrow cuts without any guard at all.

On very narrow cuts, an overhead blade guard will get in the way just like a standard blade guard will when it gets in the way of the fence. I've never done a very narrow rip on my TS where my standard blade guard got in the way but an overhead blade guard wouldn't have. So on those types of cuts how are you supposed to get the blade covered and still complete that rip on a 1/2" strip? It seems to me that a Gripper, under similar circumstances, would be far better than nothing.

If you're talking about safety for narrow rips, (or under any conditions, really) then you lose the TS and go for a guided circular saw system. I love the EZ Smart because I can safely shave thinner pieces more accurately than any TS ever made. For people who don't have a guided circular saw system and want more safety for all cuts than a conventional TS guard will provide then they should be willing to invest in an overhead guard, or make their own if they are competent to do so. But many people can't afford an overhead guard and the overhead guard won't work well with very narrow rips. For that I see the Gripper as the next best alternative to the EZ Smart or that other saw guide system whose name escapes me right now. ;) :D

Bruce

Allen Bookout
08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
What I think would be of great benefit is if the companies of many of these products would make available DVDs of the full use of their systems at no cost. This would do away with much misunderstanding. I have both the Gripper and the EZ (as well as others) and before I bought them I thought I had a full understanding but after after using them I realized that I did not. Not totally understanding the full potential of each tool can lead to false conceptions. I would think that at least some of the cost of producing the videos would be offset by increased sales and would be cheaper than the cost of demos at wood shows and at the same time reach more woodworkers. I may be all wet on the cost of videos or more companies would be trying it out I guess. However I would like to see this come to pass.

Glenn Clabo
08-29-2007, 5:00 PM
Randal,
I have searched everywhere for that information. I for the life of me can't find it. When asked...the company could not find or has not heard of it either.

I'm also fan of the product...and how someone could run their fingers into anything...unless they let go of the handle...it's not within my ability to understand.

glenn bradley
08-29-2007, 5:23 PM
I'm thinking I'll be using the Gripper a lot with the TS Sled.

Funny you should mention that. I find the Grr-Ripper pretty handy with the sled for pieces that are a bit awkward. Pretty much anywhere that is flat and I would like to lay my hand for a secure grip but shouldn't.

Bruce Benjamin
08-29-2007, 5:43 PM
Randal,
I have searched everywhere for that information. I for the life of me can't find it. When asked...the company could not find or has not heard of it either.

I'm also fan of the product...and how someone could run their fingers into anything...unless they let go of the handle...it's not within my ability to understand.

I don't have the Gripper. But I've seen a pretty good video of it's use. I suppose the same thing could be said of all sorts of injuries that occur from power tool injuries. "How could that happen?" "I don't see how anyone could do that with that tool?" Any time you're working around a spinning blade or bit or any other sharp moving object that isn't completely covered, an accident can happen. Maybe the front of the Gripper somehow got caught on the edge of the bit opening hole on the table causing it to tip forward. Maybe the guy sneezed at the wrong time. Who knows? But darn near anything is possible when the blade/bit is exposed. I've heard of more than one scenario on these wood working forums that indicated that the Gripper isn't anywhere near fool proof. Not actual accidents but descriptions of potential accidents that didn't seem far fetched at all.

About the only way to avoid this is to have the bit or blade completely covered so that this can't happen. There are bit guards for router tables that just about completely cover the bit. The EZ Smart or some other circular saw guide systems make it nearly impossible to cut yourself too. There is one brand of table saw blade guard that uses a fixed, but adjustable, guard that doesn't lift up out of the way but instead is preset above the blade. This looks better than some I've seen but I don't recall the name right now.

I don't know if you were actually doubting whether or not that Gripper/router table accident actually occurred or not. But it's pretty hard to prevent all possible accidents without completely enclosing a blade or bit. I suppose that even with the EZ Smart it's possible for someone to have temporary insanity and reach down below the work piece and try to grab the blade, or the bit if you're using the SRK router attachment. But you would actually have to try to get hurt in my opinion. Anything is possible though.

Bruce

Denny Rice
08-31-2007, 1:10 AM
:eek:
The blade guard has been removed to allow for better camera viewing. That's his story and he's sticking to it.

That may be the NYW story but most cabinet shops I have visited don't have guards over the saw blade. They are intrusive and just get in the way. Mine is still in the box it came in.:)

Bruce Benjamin
08-31-2007, 1:42 AM
Well, good luck with that, Denny. I hope we don't someday see your post saying, "Guess what I cut off today!" "It all happened so fast!" It's amazing the excuses that people will come up with to avoid safety precautions. :rolleyes: I really hope it works out for you and you don't regret it.

Bruce

Allen Bookout
08-31-2007, 8:57 PM
I'm with Denny Rice. I have tried several different setups, including overhead guards, and I find them to be be in the way so much as to be counter productive as safety devices at times. People work in different ways. What might be safe for the way that one person works might not be safe for the way that another person works. I say that no person should get a lecture as we all know the warnings. This has been rehashed many times.

Bruce Benjamin
08-31-2007, 9:36 PM
It wasn't exactly a lecture, but how else do the new people or the people on the fence learn that working without a guard is a very bad idea? I didn't reply to Denny so much for his benefit as for those who haven't developed that bad habit yet. To me Denny's post is basically advocating the use of a TS without a guard. Nobody will ever convince me that a TS without a guard is safer than a TS with a guard and I think that when someone suggests that this is the case, someone should point out that this is not the normal way of thinking. People who choose not to use their saw guard, or an aftermarket guard really shouldn't encourage other's to do the same by suggesting that it's actually safer that way. In my opinion, Denny's post was basically doing just that and so is yours. Maybe you didn't tell people to toss their guards but newbies read this and maybe think that if this guy does it this way then maybe I should too. If you don't like it, don't read it. Then it's not a lecture. It's just a word of advice to anyone else who does read it.:)

Bruce

Larry Rasmussen
08-31-2007, 9:58 PM
Most are not well designed, I have never used one. I have been interested in some of the positive discussion here from those having them custom made but I'm hesitant to have anything interupt my line of site. Old dog and all that I guess. I'll take another look it's "on the list". The gripper has really enabled me to readily make cuts I wouldn't do previously when I needed a piece of thin wood.

Safety has alot to do with good lighting, a stable base, sharp blade, inspection of wood for warping or foreign items before you run it, an outfeed set up and on and on. The reason I bothered to post now is to say that I don't think the average new woodworker will make some dangerous decision based on a discussion and until the stock guards are not such a hinderence and obstruction I don't think using one will be typical.

Regards,
Larry R

Bruce Benjamin
09-01-2007, 1:55 PM
I don't think the average new woodworker will make some dangerous decision based on a discussion

I guess there's a difference of opinion. Why else do new woodworkers come to this forum and read this type of thread other than to learn? A new woodworker certainly won't have any experience based info or opinion to add to the discussion. They certainly may be influenced to a degree by the comments or recommendations of more experienced woodworkers. It's already a natural tendency for some people to shun safety practices such as ear and eye protection, (or helmets and other safety gear if you ride a motorcycle, etc). Some people just don't have as strong a sense of danger or self preservation as other people. They may have seen their dad or friends cutting without a guard and weren't sure about it. Then they see the practice, "Justified" because hey, these other guys on the internet are doing it too. No, I'm pretty certain that there are some people who decide, at least in part, not to use a guard because they are influenced by what people say here on the subject.

and until the stock guards are not such a hinderence and obstruction I don't think using one will be typical.
Regards,
Larry R

So you are saying that you think more people remove, (or never install) the stock guard than use it? I'm not only including stock guards and splitters in my point. Add a good aftermarket or well designed homemade guard and splitter and it may be even better. With that in mind, I don't recall ever seeing a basic poll, "Do you use a blade guard and splitter whenever possible, Yes or No". I'm not sure which way that would go but I think that more than half would say, "Yes". Not sure though. I can't see anything going wrong with that poll. :rolleyes: ;) Nothing but a calm and rational exchange of opinions and ideas. :D

Really, I think your last statement is sort of along the lines of the old political candidate joke question, "When did you stop beating your wife?" You're making a statement of fact and it's a statement of opinion. You're assuming it's the truth for everyone and it's not. I've been woodworking for several decades. I started out not using any sort of safety device at all on my dad's ancient Craftsman TS because it had none and safety glasses were few and far between. Actually my dad, (and thus I did too) did use a push stick. But that was pretty much it. As soon as I was able to use properly set up table saws, including my own, I automatically used the guard. I've cut a heck of a lot of wood in all sorts of cuts and setups and I just really don't believe that it's a significant, "hindrance and obstruction".

I don't have a fancy or expensive saw. It's just a mostly-stock General International 50-185 Left Tilt contractor saw with the stock guard and splitter. The only modification I've made to it was drilling a few holes for the pawls so that I could pin them up out of the way when I started using my Jointech Smart Miter sled. The sled and Jointech CS are a completely useless P.O.S. so I pretty much use the guard as designed with the pawls in place. It is so easy to make the majority of my cuts with it in place and when I do need to remove it I can have it off in less than 30 seconds using one wrench and my fingers and reinstalled in less than a minute. With very narrow rips it can get in the way a little but that's when you need a guard as much as ever. I use my EZ Smart for any narrow cut as well as nearly all of my other cuts now anyway but before the EZ I used the guard for nearly all through cuts.

What kind of cuts are you doing or what kind of saw do you have that the guard is so bad? I don't even think about mine because it works very well. I realize that some work better than others but I wouldn't make such a generalized blanket statement of fact that stock guards are a, "Hindrance and obstruction". To me this is the sort of statement that justifies in the minds of an impressionable newbie the desire to skip using any guards.

Bruce

Allen Bookout
09-01-2007, 2:08 PM
With that in mind, I don't recall ever seeing a basic poll, "Do you use a blade guard and splitter whenever possible, Yes or No".

I think that a poll might be interesting but to be valid I think that I should be split into three parts. 1. Do you use a blade guard? 2. Do you use a splitter when possible? and 3. Do you use some sort of anti kickback device?

The reason that I think this is that for the most part I use a splitter even though I do not use a blade guard and I use some sort of anti kickback device when it will make things safer so I would not be able to answer "Do you use a blade guard AND splitter whenever possible, Yes or No".

Bruce Benjamin
09-01-2007, 2:24 PM
By, "Anti kickback device" do you mean in addition to the splitter? Pawls? A splitter's main function is to prevent kickback. The only other anti-kickback devices I can think of are feather boards, (in various forms) and, "Board Buddies" and similar wheeled devices. Is that what you mean? If a poll gets too complicated and specific the results can get a little muddled. Keeping it simple will make the results easier to interpret.

Bruce

Allen Bookout
09-01-2007, 2:41 PM
When using the Gripper I use a very short shop built splitter. When not using the Gripper I use the Delta quick change splitter with anti kickback pawls or the Grip tite system with it's antikickback feature and sometimes I use feather boards. So you are right, it gets very complicated as far as a poll goes.

My thought was that it would keep it simpler to seperate the question to ask about only one aspect at a time. Then I guess that people would start posting what they use instead of responding to the simplified question. Not an easy job for a pollster.

Just to claify a bit, I would answer "no" to using a guard but would answer "yes" to using a splitter so I could not answer "yes" or "no" to both questions being in the same sentence.

Nissim Avrahami
09-01-2007, 3:32 PM
I'm sorry for my so late reply, I did not follow the post for some time.

Bart Leetch
First, thank you for your compliments.
I apologize if I sounded "bombing", that was not my intention.
There are two kinds of woodworkers; the Pro's and the amateurs.
The amateurs are also divided into two; the experienced ones and the new comers to the hobby.

I think that we have to give, at least to the new comers, the way to a safe work.
In my opinion, safe work includes the guard and the splitter/riving knife installed. If they are not installed, it means that one is doing a dangerous operation that the table saw was not designed to do (just a side remark...don't think that my garage is full of machines, I have only table saw and router table).

Working without splitter, can lead to severe kickback and working without the guard can lead to the...ER (I know that you know that, I'm writing it for the new comers that are larking here).
The blade guard is required not only for the cutting operation itself but, many accidents happened when the cut was finished or even during the run-down of the blade...the hand just moved over the blade and...contact...

I will not play the "saint", I remove the guard for two operations (but never the riving knife), cutting tenons with tenoning jig and with the crosscut sled. in both cases my hand are far from the blade (pic below).

If somebody wants to work without splitter/guard...welcome but, it's so sad to read a post on two finger amputation (just two days ago).

I'm not trying to "educate" the Americans to use splitter/guard because I know from many "Do you use the splitter and guard" posts that many, many are using them.

And, I do refer to the smilies on your replies :)

Best Regards
niki

Bruce Benjamin
I know Pet Warner (from the Internet) and I respect him very much and that was the main reason that I removed the pictures.

And you are correct...maybe I remove only 0.002" but you never know who is out there....

I do use the riving knife and the guard (and more) when I cut strips. On the picture, you can see how I'm cutting 1/4" strip at the length of 60"

Best Regards
niki

Bruce Benjamin
09-01-2007, 6:25 PM
Good post Niki. I hope you'll also continue to post your informative and entertaining photo posts. Only one time did I think it was unsafe. While I don't always have a need for the methods or jigs you are demonstrating they are always very interesting to view.

Bruce