PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! A dining table that seats 25!

Joe Unni
08-10-2007, 10:07 AM
That's what a potential customer has asked. They've indicated that when the whole family is in town they want everyone to be able to sit. And when they're not around they want to table to shrink a bit. Also, in the event they relocate they don't wish to buy a house around the table ;) .

Currently have a harvest-like table that sits 14 comfortably and when it's holiday dinner time they break out some old church banquet tables and put them on the end - plenty of space in their very old colonial.

My question: is there a style or system that can accomodate this request?

Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,
-joe

Rob Diz
08-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I didn't get a chance to see it, but I heard about a table that seated somewhere around 20. Rather than making leaves, it was developed as a pedistal table. The "leaves" were actually more pedistal tables that were moved into place. I could see that storage would be a hassle for the extra tables, if not used elsewhere in the house. One way around that would be to make the table a two piece job - where the top and the pedistal could separate.

Tim Lynch
08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
How about a long, wide table that separates into two (lengthwise), allowing seating in the middle?

Of course, guests are at two tables, not one...

Paul B. Cresti
08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Think about making it with a corrugated hollow core material and vacuum pressing veneer over it. The corrugated inner can be very strong yet light weight

Dave Avery
08-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Two tables, one of which that would be able to be easily disassembled (trestle?). Perhaps the top of the disassembled table could be cleverly stored under the table that stays assembled. Just thinking out loud......

John Timberlake
08-10-2007, 10:45 AM
My grandmother had a Duncan Phyfe style extension table that had drop leaves with three separate pedistals. When completely folded up it was about 2' x 4' and sat against the wall. When you raised the leaves, it would seat 8 comfortably. It had five leave (if I remember correctly). When you extended it, the middle pedistal stayed put and the other two moved out. Don't remember anything about the mechanism, but my guess is that it had two separate sets of table slides. I think it would seat about 18-20.

Another option is the Sheraton type tables with the drop leaves in a center section similar to Plates 990 and 991 in Wallace Nuttings "Furniture Treasury" or at http://www.schwenke.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7253&cat=10. This section could be removed and put against the wall for a small table seating 6-8. When the center section is put in, then it would seat a lot more. Of course, it could be almost any style and would have to be sized to fit the room and 20 people. I think you would need two removable sections to get the 20 people around it.

And remember, this is only occasionally and some of them will be children. You don't have to give them a lot of elbow room.

Chris Rosenberger
08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
It has been awhile since I saw this table. The closed size is 48" X 72" oval. It opens to 216" by adding 8 - 18" leaves.

Matt Meiser
08-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I've seen some really big tables at the Amish furniture stores in east-central Ohio. Might try looking at some of the Ohio Amish furniture sites for ideas. Even if the style isn't right, you might get some good ideas.

Tom Cowie
08-10-2007, 6:21 PM
Hi Joe

Our table is a rectangular Oak with claw foot pedestals. It is six feet retracted and nineteen feet fully extended. Thirteen leaves in all . The leaves are stored separate until we need them. The slides are stacked dovetail old style hardware. Extremely heavy table but is very nice to have when we have a lot of people over.

Tom

John Goodridge
08-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Joe:

The Practical Woodworker, Bernard Jones has a short chapter on draw or extending tables. It shows a few of the possible mechanisms. Might give you some ideas if you have the book.

Mike Heidrick
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Does someone have the link to that crazy expensive rotating table that expands?? Not to thread dump but that is one awesome expanding table.

Tim Quigley
08-11-2007, 2:41 AM
Joe,

A freind of mine had a custom table made by Tom Svec in Lock Haven, PA. The system consists of separate tables, with legs, that come together to form one table that seats 20+ (can't remember how many exactly). It's made up of a "normal" sized rectangular dinning table, a smaller, square table to be used in the kitchen, and two half circle tables that can be used against a wall in the hallway or something like that. They come together and create a table that is 4 1/2 feet wide and 27 feet long! Images can be seen here: http://www.tomsvecfurniture.com/new/ray.html

Haven't seen it in person, but I'm told you don't even notice the seems when you bring the tables together even though there is no locking mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Joe Unni
08-11-2007, 2:02 PM
Sorry for the late reply everyone, but it looks like I have some pretty good options to explore.

Thanks so very much,
-joe

Art Mulder
08-11-2007, 4:57 PM
Joe,

Have a look for "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture" by Thomas Moser. In it he has a table concept called "Table Maximus".

Basically, it is a modular table system. It contains 2 building blocks. One is a half-circle table. The other is a gateleg table. With two of the half-circles together you have a round table for four. Insert the gateleg table and you can now seat 8. Lift up both leaves, and you're now up to 12. If you want more, you add another gateleg table to it.

It would seem to get rather long, if you put in too many sections.

Just another option to consider.

Joe Jensen
08-11-2007, 6:48 PM
Does someone have the link to that crazy expensive rotating table that expands?? Not to thread dump but that is one awesome expanding table.

Here is the link for the expanding table..joe
http://www.dbfletcher.com/capstan/

Jim Becker
08-11-2007, 7:22 PM
Art, that's the table I was thinking about, but didn't have the opportunity to grab the book to get the reference...

Michael Schwartz
08-11-2007, 7:28 PM
I know of a place that has a few 12 foot tall, 8 foot wide slabs of 12/4 bubinga :rolleyes:

Randy Klein
08-11-2007, 7:33 PM
Here is the link for the expanding table..joe
http://www.dbfletcher.com/capstan/

Man, those videos are mesmerizing. :cool:

Joe Jensen
08-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Man, those videos are mesmerizing. :cool:
I want one of those soooooo bad. I suspect the mechanism costs that company at least 10K to build. I think the tables start at around $100K...joe

Al Killian
08-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi Joe

Our table is a rectangular Oak with claw foot pedestals. It is six feet retracted and nineteen feet fully extended. Thirteen leaves in all . The leaves are stored separate until we need them. The slides are stacked dovetail old style hardware. Extremely heavy table but is very nice to have when we have a lot of people over.

Tom

Tom, Do you have any pics or plans of that table? That sound like a great table.