PDA

View Full Version : Laser Help .dfx 3d file format

AL Ursich
08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I will admit that I still have only about 20 minutes of Laser Engraving time under my belt.... My CarveWright Carve Machine has been keeping me busy... Too many toys not enough time.... It's midnight, my 14 hour day is over....

OK... The question. I am getting a logo done for my Carve Machine in the CarveWright .ptn pattern and they offer it in .dfx 3d file format also. She sent me a sample and I could open it in Corel Draw 12 but it was a wire frame.

Can I make that work for the Laser? I am so new to this I thought this was the best place to ask for a quick answer.

In my day job here I am making Quilt and CD racks with my carve machine...

Thanks,

AL

John Esberg
08-10-2007, 3:04 AM
Al,

Why don't you post the sample so we can take a look at it.

DAK

Kenneth Hertzog
08-10-2007, 7:48 AM
AL
you posted DFX don't you mean DXF ( data exchange file )
I checked with carvewrite when they first came out and they do NOT support DXF files. Only their programing. Not sure if this has changed lately.
Not sure what brand of laser you have but Epilog will only vector cut DXF files they will not raster. Corel does a very POOR conversion from DXF to CDR.
I know just what you wanted to hear
SORRY

ken

Mike Hood
08-10-2007, 9:08 AM
I do a LOT of CAD work on mine (cutting parts) from mostly .DXF files. Easiest way if they're giving you problems is to "dumb them down" to ACAD 12 or so format as you save them. Corel is much better at older format Autocad.

I do the same when coming from Catia. (.stp files)

AL Ursich
08-10-2007, 1:04 PM
Thanks everyone, Yes it is a DXF file. I fat fingered the keyboard.

I needed a complicated logo converted to a png file for the CarveWright and was asking what other formats they offered. They had DXF and I wondered if I could convert it to vectors. I should really just sit down and trace it and digitize it. I have Roy Brewers CD but I am time limited at the moment and I am still learning.

Thanks everyone,

AL

If I did it myself I believe I would need to digitize each letter as it looks like a hand drawn font? Would X3 be the answer with the advanced trace? Might be a reason to get it? Anyone offer conversion services for $$$?

I have 2 older lasers, a 912 and Sublimation equipment. All the toys just not enough time. Due to zoning it will always be a 1 person shop.

Ken,

We are 325 miles from each other. 18458 I just need to sit down and digitize it, it will be a good experience for me.

Kenneth Hertzog
08-10-2007, 1:13 PM
Al
what brand is your laser? Epilog offers a vector file that will cut DXF files. What I've done is cut power and increase speed so it doesn't cut but will do the outline. I've not had success at converting dxf to anything that corel likes. on the last conversion I tried it cut each line 14 times. What a mess.
and the file was not layered or stacked.
ken

Al saved this as a png file hope it works

Mike Null
08-10-2007, 1:34 PM
Al
I don't think Trace would do a good enough job. Have you considered farming it out to a pro for conversion? We have a member, William DeRouchers, who does that kind of work.

Did you try impoorting the file into Corel using the dxf filter?

Kenneth Hertzog
08-10-2007, 6:16 PM
Al
I think I converted the file for you in the above post:confused:

ken

Frank Corker
08-10-2007, 6:48 PM
Here Al, try this. There is a png and a cdr file which is resizeable

AL Ursich
08-10-2007, 8:27 PM
Thanks Everyone,

That was a big help.