PDA

View Full Version : My concern for safety has gone too far...

Ed Garrett
08-09-2007, 10:54 PM
My wife's still out of town so I'm surfing again. Instead of cruising Sawmill Creek this evening, I've been on YouTube watching all of the unsuccessful attempts to cut hot dogs with the SawStop.

Just as I began to feel like this was the ultimate entertainment, I noticed some of the suggested related videos off to the right. One of them was entitled, "Man Cuts off Finger With Saw." I thought it was a joke or a trick so I clicked on it. Bad move.

He didn't strike me as a woodworker. The blade was bare and all the way up, his left hand was gripping the front edge of the board he was about to rip, his thumb was lined up right in front of the blade, he turned on the power, and neatly cut off his thumb at the base. He looked at his thumb in disbelief and then started making primitive hyperventilating sounds. I couldn't believe it either. I feel traumatized just from watching.

Don't watch this video unless you want your sleep interrupted tonight. I'm a nervous wreck now. My wife's plane is arriving soon. She's gonna wonder what I've been up to...

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Rob Bodenschatz
08-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey Ed, it's a fake.

Randal Stevenson
08-09-2007, 11:38 PM
It was posted I think here recently. I saw the lineup and shut it down almost immediately. I have seen a lot of accidents, but to see something that looks real, is fake, but very feasible, just makes me sick to my stomach. And I have seem a machine amputation, up close.

It's not her response when she comes back, but her response when you wake up in a cold sweat screaming, after the nightmare it was you.:eek:

Loren Hedahl
08-10-2007, 12:09 AM
You can't believe everything you see.

In fact, I've heard that you shouldn't even believe everything you think!

Richard Butler
08-10-2007, 12:23 AM
That video has all the credibility of "Alien Autopsy" and "The Wizard of Oz".

Randal Stevenson
08-10-2007, 12:52 AM

You mean you can't melt witches with water? Uh-oh, I think there is going to be a few mad wet women. LOL :D

Brian Keith
08-10-2007, 2:31 AM
If you watch that video carefully youll see that the thumb pops off his hand a sec before it hits the blade that is if you want to watch this again.

Scott M Johnson
08-10-2007, 3:04 AM
Hmmmh... At the beginning of the video, he's missing his right thumb. At the end of the video, he cuts off his left thumb. Liked the way he kept on cutting straight for an additional 12 inches after "cutting" off his left thumb - good attention to detail!

Matt Day
08-10-2007, 8:01 AM
I guess some people really do fall for these cheezy fakes. Besides the things already mentioned, if you really did cut off your thumb, based on the few major cuts I've had/seen you'd be squirting blood like a garden hose all over the place.

Ken Gartin
08-10-2007, 9:22 AM
It's a fake, but did you see how close his ACTUAL fingers were to the blade?!?! :eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-10-2007, 9:54 AM

I don't know about that~!!

I thought they Wizard of OZ was pretty good. I believed every single bit of it. Still do.

Al Willits
08-10-2007, 1:14 PM
"""""""""
You mean you can't melt witches with water? Uh-oh, I think there is going to be a few mad wet women. LOL :D
""""""""""

Trust me, it don't work.....and yes, they get mad... I still have the scars to prove it...:D

If there was a truth in advertising thing for the web, 3/4 of it would be taken off the web.

Al...you can find anything you want....on the web, probably find Alice too...:D

Andrew Williams
08-10-2007, 1:24 PM
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."

Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference

Ken Gartin
08-10-2007, 3:54 PM
Hmmmh... At the beginning of the video, he's missing his right thumb. At the end of the video, he cuts off his left thumb.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/scratch.gif

Ed Garrett
08-10-2007, 8:26 PM
Boy do I feel like a sucker. I think I was so grossed out after seeing it once that I didn't go back and do my habitual frame by frame analysis. Actually I'm relieved it was fake. You can, however, melt witches...