PDA

View Full Version : something that's been bothering me for a while

nick brigg
08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
i'd say my handtool skills are sub-par:mad:. along with my grinding skills. i cant seem to grind a STRAIGHT edge, thats square to the side of the iron or has some sort of belly or something across the width of the iron. now my question is, will subsequent sharpening sessions straighten out the edge? or am i going to have to learn to grind like a machine, which i dont think is possible...anyone?

glenn bradley
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I had to finally admit that I just wasn't blessed with the sharpening gene. My dad doesn't have it either but grandpa could put an edge on a ball bearing. Those that posses this gene do not understand us and think us odd. Kinda like the kid who couldn't catch a ball to save his life when we were youngsters (that would be me by the way). The other kids just thought I was a klutz.

Now I practiced and read the books and article and looked at the pictures and watched the videos and watched demonstrations; it looks so easy! then I would eagerly go to the shop to try out my new found knowledge. Results same, I knew how to do it technically but I just stink. I finally bought a Veritas MK-II and some glass and sandpaper and went 'scary sharp'. Peace at last. . . . ahhhh.

nick brigg
08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I had to finally admit that I just wasn't blessed with the sharpening gene. My dad doesn't have it either but grandpa could put an edge on a ball bearing. Those that posses this gene do not understand us and think us odd. Kinda like the kid who couldn't catch a ball to save his life when we were youngsters (that would be me by the way). The other kids just thought I was a klutz.

Now I practiced and read the books and article and looked at the pictures and watched the videos and watched demonstrations; it looks so easy! then I would eagerly go to the shop to try out my new found knowledge. Results same, I knew how to do it technically but I just stink. I finally bought a Veritas MK-II and some glass and sandpaper and went 'scary sharp'. Peace at last. . . . ahhhh.

oh i dont have a problem sharpening! all my chisels/irons are bloody sharp with microbevels. its just the damn griding!!! i think im being a tad bit OCD over this, but i like having everything SQUARE!

Randal Stevenson
08-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Never tried it without the MK-II, as scouts don't count (only one stone). Jumped on that and I LIKE it. I would still like to learn how to grind on a machine (for rehabbing old planes), but I am afraid I would overheat the irons. So stone away for me.

Now the bad news, I got a LN scrub plane, and now know what sharp SHOULD be, so I need to practice on my rehab planes.

Mike Cutler
08-09-2007, 11:56 PM

Well Glenn. I know a cure.... 4 years and 10 months on a submarine, in three section duty with nothing to do except learn to sharpen knives and turn Monel nuts, and high pressure hydraulic fittings into rings( jewlery) with files while on watch.
You have a lot of time on your hands underwater to develop some "new skills".:D ,;)..... Just kidding. The Veritas is a better solution, than the submarine.

Nick. Purchase some prussian blue, and scribe the material to the line you want to grind to. It makes it alot easier to see what you are, and are not doing.

Jude Kingery
08-10-2007, 1:13 AM
Hey Nick, I'm not the best at sharpening either, fortunately, my husband is. But a couple suggestions might help as they helped me - I bought a Wolverine jig and really like it, helps a lot on angles and uniformity in grinds on skews, the gouges are a bit more difficult, but still the jig helps tremendously. (I'm not pushing Wolverine and not affiliated with them). The point is that a jig of any kind may be of assistance to you. The only time I free hand isn't on the grinder, but the belt sander and it'll touch up an edge nicely on your skews and scrapers. Best wishes, Jude

Dave Anderson NH
08-10-2007, 9:10 AM
When you says "irons" Nick I assume your talking about the blades or irons for hand planes. If this is the case you should measure your irons for width at the cutting edge and then do it again near the top of the blade. One of the most frustrating things is finding out that your blade sides are neither square nor parallel. This happens fairly often, particularly on old tool irons, and if it's the case there is no way that you'll get an edge that is straight across.

Andrew Williams
08-10-2007, 1:15 PM
How about doing this? Just invert a belt sander, and hold the blade over it using a wedge of wood to guide your holding angle. Works for me. If you really want to get precise you could make a jig to hold the blade at various angles.

Michael Schwartz
08-10-2007, 1:30 PM
i'd say my handtool skills are sub-par:mad:. along with my grinding skills. i cant seem to grind a STRAIGHT edge, thats square to the side of the iron or has some sort of belly or something across the width of the iron. now my question is, will subsequent sharpening sessions straighten out the edge? or am i going to have to learn to grind like a machine, which i dont think is possible...anyone?

Don't use a mechinized grinder, get a decent guide, and some 100 grit sandpaper, and something flat to put it on. I find this method is almost as fast as a tormek. This will give you a nice clean square bevel to work with.

Harry Goodwin
08-10-2007, 3:20 PM
Each of us have our own way to sharpen some cheap some expensive, they all work to some degree. I own a wolverine jig and attatchments so gouges are now easy and the chisels would be as well but... I always ground blades freehand to some degree. Use a course stone if possible with no possibility of burning the tool edge. Use a gadget or get in the submarine and practice. If you must grind fix some kind of tool rest that is straight on the lower side. This may already be provided on the grinder. Sight the bevel and squeeze the iron at the point of the angle you want and never move those fingers once you start. You can frequently dip the blade in water to keep from burning it with those fingters still in place. When you develop a good bevel down to the back go to regular sharpening on stones or paper. Harry

Bill Vittal
08-10-2007, 5:33 PM
Ian Kirby's book "Sharpening with Waterstones" shows a simple and reliable jig that could be set up on a grinder or 1" belt sander. It uses a rod set up in front of the grinder. I have mine set up on my belt sander. Works very well. You could also use the jig with templates to radius plane blades.

I also have the wolverine jig. I set one holder under my belt sander and a second under my grinder. I can easily grind/sand chisels 1" or less using the Wolverine jig. I use the plane jig to grind chisels larger than 1". If you have lathe chisels, you can grind the roughing gouge with the Wolverine jig and belt sander. The design of the belt sander prevents me from using it to sharpen skews or smaller gouges that require a side grind. I do the skews freehand on the belt sander and the gouges on the grinder using the Wolverine jig. Where possible, I would look to make a jig or holder for a tool. However, some tools, such as knives, are easier to grind freehand.

glenn bradley
08-10-2007, 11:21 PM
oh i dont have a problem sharpening! all my chisels/irons are bloody sharp with microbevels. its just the damn griding!!! i think im being a tad bit OCD over this, but i like having everything SQUARE!

Go in peace my son, there are those much worse of than thee.