PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Questions

Brad Holst
08-09-2007, 5:24 PM
OK, this has been sitting around unfinished for too long. http://www.jeffnet.org/%7Ebholst/bench%20base
My first attempt at M and Ts, and at building a bench. (My first ever solo pic posting, too :)) The top is 2 3/8 thick laminated maple and is 68" X 29", so it seems heavy to me. I have learned lots about what happens when the wood is not properly squared, and have spent too much time fixing sloppy M and Ts. Anyway, desperate for some progress, I glued one of the bench base sides together and thought I would bounce some ideas off those who have been here before.

- THe leg tenons only go 2/3 of the way through the bottom and trestle members. Following the glue-up, I was going to insert 3 dowells through each tenon and hope the joint held. Any better ideas?

- What is the best way of attaching the top to the base? I would like to be able to remove the top.

- The answer to this question may depend on how the top is attached..., but will the one lower stretcher (2x6 maple) provide enough rigidity? I have enough wood to put 2x3 maple stretchers up higher, but only will if there would be significant difference in stability

Looking for any suggestions or thoughts. Brad

David DeCristoforo
08-09-2007, 5:38 PM
Most benches of this type have a hole drilled in the top of each leg "cap" with a corresponding pin on the underside of the top to position the top on the legs. The weight of the top "holds it down".

Racking resistance is affected more by the width of the stretcher than it's position on the legs. So a 6" stretcher will provide a more rigid base than a 3" one. You could edge glue your 3" wide pieces to make 6" wide pieces and then notch the ends for the tenon. The extra 3" would work like a tall shoulder bearing against the legs making for a much more rigid base.