PDA

View Full Version : Going brick and mortar

Craig Hogarth
08-09-2007, 2:56 PM
We're signing a lease on a great commercial rental today and I'm busy working on layout and inventory. I have an idea on how we're going to arrange it, but there a few things I'm trying to work out. I'd like to hear how shopowners do things.

I've ordered several acrylic awards sample sets from JDS, so I have an OK selection to choose from. What I don't know is how to display. I'm thinking of just doing a couple samples to display and leaving blanks on the shelf. I'd love to engrave them all, but it's far to expensive and I don't know if it would improve sales at all.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is whether or not I should have catalogs on hand to show items I can do, but don't have in stock. The problem I see with this is that some catalogs show prices or have items that I'm either unable or don't want to do.

Also, how do you sell a walk in? I've been in sales for several years and I'm fully aware that once they leave the door, they're less likely to buy. I've found it easy to motivate buyers at craft shows, but that's a different animal.

Lastly, what stock items do you offer in the very low price range to cater to those nice impulse buyers?

TIA

Bart Leetch
08-09-2007, 3:17 PM
Craig

How about a photo album to show what you can do or have done?

Mike Null
08-09-2007, 3:18 PM
Craig

Where are you located?

Leigh Costello
08-09-2007, 4:00 PM
laserbits offers brochures for you to sell from. They do not have prices in the brochures.

James Stokes
08-09-2007, 6:44 PM
Check The Brewers website Engraving Concepts. Roy had an article a few years ago called Is that all you have.

Mike Null
08-09-2007, 8:43 PM
Craig

Just wanted your location to see if you are in close proximity to suppliers.

In my opinion you should keep a minimal inventory and find out how fast you can get shipment from your suppliers.

I've worked retail and now from my home. Retail definitely requires more inventory but it's very easy to strangle yourself.

I would carry laminated plastic such as Rowmark or IPI laserables in the following: 1/8" gold/black; 1/16" gold, silver, black/white, red/white, yellow/black, blue/white, white/black.

I would pick 2 plaque sizes, maybe three from JDS. I push the black piano finish when somebody wants a rush. The sizes should be 9x12, 8x10, and 6x8. I buy these by the case. Also carry metal as follows, 12x24 sheets of black/ brass coated steel, brushed brass aluminum, brushed silver alum.

The brushed brass can be the backing sheets for the black/brass coated steel. it will also be used for smaller plates or even name tags.

I would carry the 302 magnets and a nickel plated pin for name tags.

JDS has a catalog without prices. Tropar/Airflyte has a catalog with prices then you add set up or engraving to them. Your discount from Tropar is 66%.

I use Tropar as my online catalog as well.

It is my habit to make an extra of each company name tag for my reference. As far as the rest of the samples are concerned you want to look like you've been around and have some experience so I'd be inclined hit up all my suppliers for as many samples as they give you.

Craig Hogarth
08-09-2007, 9:12 PM
Leigh, the problem with Laserbits is that they show products that I don't want to carry. Not to mention that they have a $50 min order which could result in more cash going out than coming in.

James, Thanks. I will check that out.

Mike, I'm in Washington State. I order mostly from Laserbits and JDS since I generally get shipments within 2 days if ordered by early afternoon. As for the JDS catalog, that's one I want to keep hidden as I am unable or not wanting to sell the majority of their products. I'm getting my plaques from Big Sky Woodcrafters and as you've suggested, I'm only carrying 3 sizes, 3 finishes and 2 edges from them. I also have plenty of the piano finish and the walnut/alder combos from JDS as well. Thanks for the info on Tropar, I'll get with them tomorrow.