PDA

View Full Version : Help with test

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2007, 12:49 PM
This file is only 87k, yet when I send it to the laser it takes a while, so long that if I look at the LCD it's not all there. If I run it right away the laser actually stops to wait for the data to catch up. I'm curious if this happens on other's lasers too.

If you have a few minuts to try sending it to yours and let me know what happens I'd appreciate it. The font does have a lot of points, but it's still not that big a file.

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Joe, sent it over, went right over (using Ethernet connection), and hit the run button and it's running. I've got it at 50% speed and it's not stopped yet.

Edit- it finished just fine, no delays. You using USB or Ethernet?

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2007, 1:13 PM
Thanks Scott. Funny, I'm using ethernet too. Wonder if I have a PC or laser memory issue.

PC tests OK 768MB, laser is supposed to be 64MB with "rolling buffer" to allow any size file to run.

Ed Maloney
08-09-2007, 1:21 PM
Funny you should mention this. When I send the first job of the day it takes (sort of) a long time, but after that it goes rather quickly. I'll try out your file tonight though.

Dave Fifield
08-09-2007, 2:59 PM
Joe, I've seen odd things happen like this when I have lots of jobs (>32) in the laser's memory. Is this the only job in the queue?

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2007, 4:16 PM
It was about the 4th, the others were very simple nameplates and other small signs.

Gary Hair
08-09-2007, 5:59 PM
Joe,
Have you tried rebooting the computer and laser? That will probably resolve the issue.

Gary

Gary Hair
08-09-2007, 6:10 PM
Joe,
I took a couple of minutes to re-sort the objects. As they were they were in a pretty random order in object manager. Depending on your printer driver that might be what caused the problem. For a simple drawing like this I would take a couple of minutes and sort everything. The laser cuts from the bottom of the list to the top, I usually try to start with the left uppermost object at the bottom of the list and the outer vector cuts on the top. Some drivers will automatically sort them but this way I know exactly what is cutting when.

Gary

I tried to upload the file but it is over the limit for the forum.

Ed Maloney
08-09-2007, 6:21 PM
Joe - The sending went fairly quickly. Do you have a hub with other computers hooked up to it?

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2007, 6:39 PM
Joe - The sending went fairly quickly. Do you have a hub with other computers hooked up to it?
No, that computer is only for the laser, so it's directly connected. The sorting thing I hadn't thought of, as the customer provided the artwork as an .eps file.

Roy Brewer
08-12-2007, 11:04 PM
If I run it right away the laser actually stops to wait for the data to catch up. I'm curious if this happens on other's lasers too.

Joe,

This is very often due to memory. To illustrate: I recently sent a file requiring an Epilog to raster the full area of 24" x 18". It took over 4 minutes to transfer. I checked the RAM=512. I bumped RAM up to 2gig and time dropped to 12 seconds!

(Sorry, I didn't open your file to confirm whether raster or vector --- so following may not apply) I suspect you understand that the windows file size has (almost) nothing to do with transfer time when rastering; the area over which the laser has to traverse will be proportional to the transfer time.