PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Lignum Vitae - Palo Santo

Morton Heller
08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I had no trouble slicing some Palo Santo (Argentine Lignum Vitae) with my 14" Jet and a Timberwolf 1/2" blade (3tpi). I am about to finish sand a "walking" stick, and wondered if anyone had tried any finishes on this stuff?

It is easy to work with tools, and I had no trouble shaping it with a sharp blade on a spokeshave. The wood is very heavy, but nowhere as hard to work as an ebony. It is not quite like the original, true lignum vitae.

What to use for a finish?
I have considered Watco and/or a wiping varnish.
Any suggestions?

Don Abele
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
We use LV for our belaying pins as it is a dense, self-lubricating wood. However, sun and sea water does start to dry it out. So we use a penetrating oil similar to Watco. We've never tried anything else as no other finish is going to hold up to the wear from our lines. Personally, I don't think anything but an oil would work as the natural oils in the LV would cause it to bubble/peel. HTH.

Be well,

Doc

Morton Heller
08-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks. One type of oil finish I have used in the past involves a mix of linseed oil, spar varnish and turps. Would this work?
Any ideas?

Don Abele
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Morton, I can only wager a guess here. As I said, we stay away from spar and poly because it would wear right off as the lines rub over the pin.

I would be concerned that a solid finish like those might bubble from the oils in the wood. But this is only a guess. Hopefully someone else may have experience applying spar/poly on either LV or maybe even Teak.

Good luck.

Be well,

Doc

Morton Heller
08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I just applied my 4th coat of Watco to the LV, and the rags still are turning blue from the resin in the wood. I have been allowing 12-15 hours between coats. In the past, I didn't get any bleed through after the second coat. I have used Watco as a sealer in the past for Kingwood and for Macassar ebony - and it worked fine. I eventually built up a topcoat with multiple layers of Formby's wiping varnish - the stuff that they call Tung Oil Finish.

I am going to try to wait a day or probably two before trying another coat of Watco. Surface finishes may not work here, but I'll find out.