PDA

View Full Version : walnut/pine ring bowl

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Ok this is my best bowl I did until another one I just did.

It is 13" dia. at the top 5 at the base and 5 1/4" tall. Sanded to 600 then sprayed lacquer finish, 6 coats. The finger smudges and poof photography prevent you from seeing the nice finish this thing really has.

Sorry my pics are definately not up to par with everyone else. I'm trying to get a photo tent set up, but could not get my lighting to work, so I ended up with these pics.

Mike A. Smith
08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Wow, very nice Tyler. Did you cut one piece of walnut to insert the pine or is it two different pieces? You matched the grain so well it's hard to tell.

Patrick Taylor
08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Great finish and I love the design.

Shannon Grizzell
08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Excellent job, Tyler. I like the contrast between the pine and walnut. Nice finish too.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Nicely done Tyler! The contrasting woods look good together.

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Mike, this was one piece that I made into two pieces. I chucked it up and cut a ring about 1 1/2" wide on the small side. I parted the outside ring of at a 15 degree angle so one side was wider then flipped it over, glued the pie between the two pieces. You could do this with any piece of wood to make a shallow bowl blank be deeper. I jst decided I didn't want to see a glue joint between the walnut, so I stuck a piece of pine in there. The pine is 50 years old that I tore out of our washroom cabinets. Reuse, renew, recycle!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Good looking bowl Tyler! Nice design, finish and color combination!

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2007, 9:56 PM
Great color combo on a beauty Tyler.

Richard Madison
08-10-2007, 12:28 AM
What, no paranoia about gluing pine to hardwood? Is this ok now?

Posted a little segmented pine urn/bowl with walnut rim a couple years ago. Received some nice compliments and also some concern about the soft/hard woods combination. Guess it depends upon the grain orientation, and length of the cross grain to cross grain glue joints.

Anyhow, the piece is one of my sweetie's favorites, and fortunately has not yet come unstuck.

jeremy levine
08-10-2007, 9:07 AM
I think it's great. The color gives it a wonderful "warm" feel

Blake McCully
08-11-2007, 7:36 AM
Posted a little segmented pine urn/bowl with walnut rim a couple years ago. Received some nice compliments and also some concern about the soft/hard woods combination. Guess it depends upon the grain orientation, and length of the cross grain to cross grain glue joints.

My thoughts exactly.

Frank Kobilsek
08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Nice work Tyler!

The point made about matching grain is a good one. Often turners forget (read as I have made the mistake several times) to align the grain when laminating sections of a bowl. You did do a fine job of lining up the walnut. I'll have to try your bowl extender ring idea.

The hard/soft arguement may be valid but knowing both the walnut and the pine are very old and stable this shouldn't worry you.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Boy I guess it IS better to be lucky than good. A couple of you have mentioned lining up the grain nice. I guess it was a happy accident, cuz I didn't do it on purpose. I applied glue flipped the pine on it applied glue and slapper the top piece on. No lining up exept to make them centered as well as possible. Cool that the grain came out lined up, but not on purpose. Thanks for all the great comments.