PDA

View Full Version : stanley & record planes

Gregg Feldstone
08-09-2007, 3:18 AM
A woodturner I know is selling his handplanes and I'm trying to find out if they are still manufactured. He has two stanleys....a #4 Smoothing or Bench plane with corrugated sole & a #7 Jointer with corrugated sole.
He also has a Record plane which I believe is a rabbet plane, as it does not resemble the pics of record shoulder planes I have seen. I will get the model # of the Record from him soon. Are the Stanleys with corrugated soles still made? The records? All of the planes look new. I think he bought them around 20 years ago. They are all made in England.
If they are still being made, what % of the new price should I offer? Thanks!!

David Weaver
08-09-2007, 7:52 AM
There was a notice not too long ago that Record was discontinuing planemaking in England. Stanley planes are still made there.

At any rate, the only reason to give any serious amount of money for any of them would be if they're really tuned to work well.

The machining on the newer planes is not up to par with the pre WWII Stanley planes, and if you get on Ebay and look around some, you'll see evidence of that. There are plenty of Pre WWII planes to go around, too, and there are several folks who will buy and resell them for less than the new stanley planes cost - several of them users on here.

I have bought from Clint Jones, and I have bought a bunch of stuff from Walt at Brasscityrecords.com and have been very happy with what I've gotten.

Anyway, I have a couple of new planes and a bunch of old ones. I got the new ones shipped for about $15 on ebay each - in brand new condition. Both are Stanley #5s, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with one of them as I can use the other for rough work if I get around to it.

I would suppose the Record planes might be worth a little more than the Stanley english planes, but they're in the same boat if they haven't been fettled.