PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Afrormosia

Raf Verbruggen
08-09-2007, 2:09 AM
Another project I wanted to share: bathroom renovation for my sister-in-law.

Took me a lot of weekends to finish this job, but as Mark Singer his signature says; when you enjoy what you are doing ... it is not longer work.

Kyle Kraft
08-09-2007, 6:59 AM
Welcome Raf!! That's quite a fancy head! Very nice work!!

Jim Becker
08-09-2007, 8:05 AM
Wonderful work, Raf. That's a beautiful looking bathroom--your sister-in-law is quite fortunate to have you as the craftsman! And welcome to SMC!!!

(I'll wave when I fly over you later on the way home from Munich... :) )

Jim Podsedly
08-09-2007, 8:21 AM
Raf,

Very nice looking.

What type of wood is it and what did you use for the finish?

Christof Grohs
08-09-2007, 7:41 PM
Looks great I dig modern bathrooms, very minimal. I am curious about the finish coice. I just finished building a very similar looking sink base/platform, from walnut (veneered-w/ west sys epoxy to marine grade ply). I'm on the fence about finish in a wet location like a sink top.

cheers
c.

Bill Huber
08-09-2007, 8:18 PM
Great looking bathroom, I really like the color comb, it has a really clean look.

Raf Verbruggen
08-10-2007, 1:22 AM
Many thanks for the kind replies. Sometimes I see pictures from other projects on this forum that makes me feel very small. I still have a lot to learn ...

The wood I used is Afrormosia Elata.

For the finish I used a kind of countertop oil from Trip Trap.

I don't know how good your Dutch or French is, but you can find information on www.triptrap.be (http://www.triptrap.be)

I'm sure there are enough alternatives for that type of oil.

Roger Barga
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
that's beautiful, very nice work.
roger

John Timberlake
08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Great looking bathroom. Love the grain in the wood.

Chris Mann
08-10-2007, 1:14 PM
Nice job, like the curve of the tub surround. How'd you go about bending the bottom of that? Looks like it extends into the shower stall, is that the case?

My understanding is that Trip trap is pretty similar to osmo polyx oil which is a bit easier to find here in the states.

Raf Verbruggen
08-10-2007, 2:30 PM
Correct twice !

- Is very similar to Osmo products
- Wood becomes wet (minimal) during showering ... architect advised her to use green MDF (water resistant) instead of wood, but I told her to find someone else to make that construction in MDF ! No idea how long MDF would last, but I did not have a good feeling about that.

After teak (price :() , afro was a good alternative.

Rafael Carias
08-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Raf.

looks very good bro.

did you by any chance consider using mangaris for that project?

Charles Jackson III
08-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Very nice work, Raf.