PDA

View Full Version : A table I made some years ago.

Mark Singer
01-24-2004, 1:22 AM
I just completed a new home for a repeat client. I designed her previous home about ten years ago. The table I designed and built was for that previous home. It is holding up well. The materials are figured maple , cocabola and aluminium. I resawed the cocobla from 8/4 and it serves as the base. It is a long table and needs a big room. After 10 years the design still looks fresh and it plays well in the rustic modern character of the new home.

Tyler Howell
01-24-2004, 7:42 AM
You California Guys bring a whole new perspective to the art form of WW. The house is spectacular too. Thanks for sharing

John Miliunas
01-24-2004, 9:21 AM
Mark, your eye for design never fails to amaze me! You also have the knack for mixing media, which in talking to a couple artist friends of mine, seems to exactly what you describe here: Almost always makes the piece timeless. Is this something you learned or does it really come naturally? I have a heckuva' time coming up with anything really original. :cool:

Jim Becker
01-24-2004, 9:26 AM
I'd use one word, but it would be too short for the software...so this is filler....

WOW!

Mark Singer
01-24-2004, 9:36 AM
Thanks John,
I kind of start by asking "what a table might be" instead of thinking about ones I have seen. I saw the small alumium "I" beam in a metals shop. I thought it conveys the "spirit" of their previous home which had exposed steel beams. The cocabola "box" allows for someone to place a small item...a drink or reading glasses...by "streching " out the design the strength of the beam is celebrated. The gap between the big top and the support allows for streching your legs out if you are on the sofa.
"good design" seeks to be inclusive...to "take in" all the conditons and context and satisfy it...the trick is to end up with a design that is also and foremost astheticly pleasing....a not a "program driven" swiss army knife.
There I go being an Architect again...I can't help myself....It is amazing Ryan turned out as sane as he is...Mom must have had something to do with it.

Bob Marino
01-24-2004, 9:42 AM
Mark,

I will take some liberty and repeat what another SMC member emailed me some weeks back when you first started posting pictures of your projects, "Hey Bob, did you see the work from the new guy on the block, Mark Singer? He makes most of us look like tool collectors".

Simply outstanding design and workmanship.

Bob

Mark Singer
01-24-2004, 9:54 AM
Bob,
Thanks again...just get that Agazzani running and you and watch what happens!

John Scarpa
01-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Mark,
:) Thanks for inspiring us all again. Your work reminds us to keep ourselves challenged. Keep em coming!
John

Steve Inniss
01-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Mark,
I am not a contemporary furniture, environment type.

...but, I have to say that your design sense and meticulous craftsmanship is wonderful. Also, so you know, I enjoy your posts and your perspective on things. -Steve

Mark Singer
01-24-2004, 1:33 PM
Steve and John,
Thanks for your comments.Steve,Your a great type anyway (contemorary or not)and I try to just have a little fun with everything I do...Life is for fun and sharing ...I love the SMC community and I am inspired by the great people and honesty we share!

Ryan Singer
01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
nice job dad!

Chris Padilla
01-29-2004, 11:03 AM
May I use this word?

Bitchin', Dude!! :D

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2004, 1:02 PM
Mark --
How are the small-diameter legs held in place? Is there an unseen bar that connects them to the I-beam, or are they just hooked to the table top? In one photo, I think I can see the top of the leg visible on the table top. What's that?
Jamie

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 1:13 PM
The top of the leg comes thru the top...I drilled the top to accept it. On the underside of the top the leg has a plate with 4 screws.
Mark