PDA

View Full Version : Possible deals on big shop/barn fans

Mike Heidrick
08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I walked into the tractor supply tent at the local county fair last week looking at the Big Country Breeze Air Circulator fans they had on display (shop is 1000sq so need a nice big fan). The manager said to come by the store because she had some scratch and dent fans for sale. Went by there tonight and checked them out. The 42" Big Country Breeze fan is on sale this week for $249 down from $289. She sold the dented one to me for 50% off the sale price - out the door for $125 plus tax. That is what I paid for my smaller 24" Max Air fan last year. Anyway, got it home and took the grill off, and about 10 whacks with the rubber mallet latter I have a slightly marred 42" belt drive air circulator that is perfect. The smaller 24" fan will get mounted to an old Delta Drill press collum that Slav from Chicago gave me. Should be perfect air movement for the shop.

Just thought I would pass on to folks to check out your local farm supply stores or other stores if you are looking for a deal on a scratch and dent fan.

Josiah Bartlett
08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Good tip-

If you want even cheaper, scrounge furnace blowers with motors from a local HVAC guy- you can even get multiple speeds.

Mike Cutler
08-09-2007, 12:09 AM
I have a Tractor supply about 2 miles from the house. I've been eyeballin' those fans for awhile now, waiting for them to go on sale.
Two would be nice. One for the barn, and one for the shop. Maybe I'll whack one with a mallet next time.:eek: :rolleyes:

Brad Townsend
08-09-2007, 9:26 AM
Sheesh Mike! Just how big is your shop?:D

Charles McCracken
08-09-2007, 3:45 PM
Mike,

We use similar fans in our warehouse and maybe it's because the facility is so large, but they seem to make more noise than wind. Now if you want to really circulate some air you need one these here Big xxx Fans:

http://www.bigassfans.com/images/gallery/photos/manufacturing_8.jpg

Jim Becker
08-09-2007, 5:10 PM
Charles, that think looks like it could lift the building off the foundation for extra ventilation!

Charles McCracken
08-09-2007, 6:01 PM
We have two in our high-rise warehouse (40' ceiling) that move a ridiculous amount of air. In fact, we never set them above medium speed.

Joe Jensen
08-09-2007, 6:19 PM
Those big fans are amazing, the warehouse ceiling mount one. Where could i read more about them?...joe

David Sharp
08-09-2007, 6:27 PM
that is the name of the company: Big _ss Fan

Charles McCracken
08-10-2007, 6:47 AM
Joe,

Like David said, here's the link:
http://www.bigassfans.com/

There's also another company that sells similar fans but I can't think of the name.

Jeff Raymond
08-10-2007, 6:58 AM
Be careful with fans in a wood shop.

If you have airborne dust and an electric motor in a fan that is NOT explosion-proof, you can have a memorable day.

Mike Heidrick
08-10-2007, 7:33 AM
Jeff is it the concern with the dust getting into the fan? What about router tables?

Mike Cutler
08-10-2007, 8:01 AM
Sheesh Mike! Just how big is your shop?:D

My shop isn't big. It's two 19'x9' spaces that make an "L" at the back of the garage. I could set a fan like that outside the door and circ' air through.
The ceiling in the shop is low,~ 7', so I couln't use the "Big___" Fan, or I'd knock myself out with it.