PDA

View Full Version : Veritas® Cabinetmaker's Mallet

Dave Lehnert
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Anyone have and use one? Looks Interesting.

Greg Cole
08-09-2007, 9:19 AM
Dave,
I've had one for about a year now... I use mine for hand chopping mortises and for general thumping of things for alignment that are not easily persuaded with the palm of the hand. I also have an all wooden one that has some more heft to it for aggressive hand chopping of mortises (heavier and a much larger face that's slightly concave). For all of $25 or so, they're a nice addition to the arsenal.

Cheers.
Greg

John Bush
08-09-2007, 9:54 AM
Check out the dead-blow type of hard rubber "persuasion" mallet. Various weights/sizes, sounds like they have lead shot inside. ~~$7.00.

Bob Fraser
08-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I think for mortise work and similar work with repetitive strikes, you would find that a dead blow would tire your wrist.

As you suggest - There is shot of some sort in the head, and as you lift for another strike, that shot falls to the "back" of the head and stresses your wrist in that direction.

A solid head would be better for chisel work, but the dead blows cannot be beaten (no pun intended) when you have to persuade something with just a few hits.

bob

Gary Benson
08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I have the Veritas mallet and really like it. I find better visability with the smaller head, but the metal body adds appropriate weight. Heavy chopping may require something bigger, but it does most tasks well in my hands.

Carl Crout
08-09-2007, 2:21 PM
I use a 18 oz Stanley dead blow for all of my chisel work. Works great and i don't feel any strain on my wrist.
You would really have to slam your arm backwards HARD to get the steel pellets to move to the back of the hammer. In other words when you lift the hammer unless you go past vertical the shot ain't moving very far.

Try one, you might like it

Kelly Anderson
08-09-2007, 7:14 PM
I have one and like it. Used it to chop some through mortises and it worked great.