PDA

View Full Version : safety glasses with face shield?

Joseph Cardinal
08-08-2007, 7:58 PM
Ever since I purchased my face shield, my safety glasses have been gathering dust.

However, all of the shields I've seen clearly state that safety glasses must be worn with the face shield.

Have any of you been in situations where the shield wasn't enough protection?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2007, 8:15 PM
Joseph,

My employer requires us to wear safety glasses so my prescription glasses are safety glasses. Thus, I always wear safety glasses under my shield as braile doesn't work well for me when woodworking.

glenn bradley
08-08-2007, 8:22 PM
Face shield? Is that those things spinney-guys wear? I just have oversized Rx safty glasses with side shields. ;-)) If you wear prescription glasses, do yourself a favor. Get some Rx safty glasses. My shop enjoyment went way up. Never have to look for them or remember to put them on.

Charles Bruno
08-08-2007, 9:10 PM
I wear face shields mostly at work, and I always wear my saftey glasses with the face shield.

Randy Klein
08-08-2007, 9:24 PM
I wear safety glasses, but no face shield. Do any non-turners wear face shields?

Ron Jones near Indy
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Always wear the Rx safety glasses. Usually wear face shield if turning--that's not often.

Scot Ferraro
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
I wear Rx glasses and a pair of safety glasses designed to fit over the prescripiton lenses and it works well. I do wear a sheild if I am turning in case anything comes off the lathe.

Thanks,

Scot

Jon Lanier
08-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Sounds like the guy who got a raise. He suggest to put on every bottle of shampoo, "lather, rinse, repeat.":cool:

Joe Jensen
08-09-2007, 1:09 AM
This was discussed recently on some forum, might have been here. I don't wear both, but apparently OSHA and safety experts say you should. Something about each serving a different purpose.

I used to ear safety glasses for everything except grinding. One day a friend and I were working in the shop together and he had a kickback on the tablesaw hit him in the safety glasses. The impact drove the glasses back into his eye causing a partially detatched retina and permanent impact to his eyesight.

Ever since I wear a combo safety shield, earmuffs, and hard hat. Sounds like overkill, but it's actually easier and simpler than separates. That said, I'm not sure I can see the benefit of glasses too...joe

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2007, 1:22 AM
Joe....In my case....I wear glasses when I'm doing anything but driving. Don't need glasses to drive.....but anything else, RX glasses. Since my employer requres safety glasses that's what I wear. Shield protects what little is left of my 58 year old baby face when I turning.

Jude Kingery
08-09-2007, 2:31 AM
Joeseph, I find I dislike a safety shield, but do wear it when rough turning. I ALWAYS wear my safety glasses, but have to anyway to see. They're scrip. So I am never without those. And I can wear them under the shield, just have to make myself do that is all. Best to you. Jude

Raymond Fries
08-09-2007, 7:28 AM
When I do use my face shield for turning, I always wear my safety glasses.

A face shield is designed to protect your face and not necessarily your eyes. The safety glasses are designed to protect your eyes. It is possible for an object to deflect under the shield and still enter your eyes. What are the chances of this? Who knows? I just do not roll the dice with safety.

All Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has a specific purpose. You can never be to safe in the shop.

Jim Becker
08-09-2007, 7:59 AM
Yes, the face shield is generally not enough protection by itself...it's more of a deflector for the general area of your face, but as Raymond says, if something big hits it, your eyes are still at risk without the additional protection.

Joseph Cardinal
08-09-2007, 4:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys.

As of now the poll is exactly 50-50...what are the odds!

You were correct in you assumption that I turned, but I rather consider myself a dabbler in that world.

I inherited my uncle's lathe a few years back. Being cheap, when I started fooling around on it, I wore my safety glasses to protect from the small stuff, and my hockey helmet with grill to protect from the big stuff. One day a knot flew-off, went through the grill, and cut my cheek. That is when I went and got a shield.

The main reason I prefer using the shield is that it doesn't fog-up when I use a dust mask.

Maybe, is should just get better dust masks and keep the shield for lathe work.

Cheers,
Joseph