PDA

View Full Version : Delta Hybrid Saw (Model 36-714) Zero Clearance Insert?

Brady Meltzer
08-08-2007, 5:07 PM
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum (recently back into woodworking) and this is my first post.

Here is my problem:

I recently purchased a Delta Hybrid Saw (Model 36-714) at my local Hardware Store. The folks there are reasonably helpful - but don't have many of the technical details that the members of this forum seem to have. What I am looking for is a Zero Clearance Insert to fit this saw. I purchased the Delta Zero Clearance Insert pictured below on reccomendation of the employee at the store. It is Delta Model # 36-862 for your reference.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31E2D29TMVL._SS500_.jpg
The problem with this insert is that it lacks the notch at the back of the insert near the pin to fit Delta's Blade Guard and Splitter assembly. I am not comfortable removing the blade guard for obvious saftey reasons.

Should I cut the notch in the back of the Zero Clearance insert myself?
Should I buy a difference ZCI that comes with the notch?
Should I build my own ZCI?

For clarity I added a picture of the standard Delta insert for this saw so that you can see the notch I am mentioning. Delta Model 36-861.
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DC0BF5SXL._SS500_.jpg
Sorry for what may be a novice question here...

Just looking for some friendly advice.
THANKS A BUNCH!
Brady Meltzer
Bozeman, MT

Michael Stanley
08-08-2007, 7:05 PM
Brady,

You can cut the notch yourself. I just did this for a zci to accommodate the splitter on my saw. Just make sure to leave as much material as you can between the blade slot and the guard slot.

Frederick Rowe
08-08-2007, 9:13 PM
Brady,
Welcome to SMC. I had a Delta Hybrid with a T-2 fence until I traded up to a Unisaw. I found it to be an accurate saw, and excellent value for the money.

ZCI's are easy to make, I would skip the store bought ones. Simply use double sided tape to stick a piece of 1/2" plywood or MDF to your factory insert, then using a bearing pattern cutting bit in your router, with the bearing riding against insert, you'll end up with a blank ZCI (you can alternatively trace around the factory insert and cut with a band saw or jig saw). Make several, and lable one "Template", use it only for future ZCI's .

Sand out any bumps, and check for fit. With a spade, or forstner bit, cut a finger pull hole. Next, using a tap, create holes for the set screws in the factory insert to level the ZCI. Mark out the slot for your splitter and/or blade guard and cut with a jig saw. Install on your saw, and using the set screws, level the ZCI.

Lower your blade all the way. Insert into your blank ZCI into the throat and clamp down a board parallel to, but not over where the blade will emerge through the ZCI when you raise it to it's full up position. The purpose of the board is to prevent the saw blade picking up the ZCI as you raise the blade to cut the slot and create a kickback.

Start your saw, step to the side of your saw with the blade height, and slowly raise it up. Once the blade has cut your new slot, lower it slowly and shut the saw. Last step, admire your new ZCI.

glenn bradley
08-08-2007, 9:29 PM
Not sure what the extra slots in the ZCI in your pic are for. As others have stated; shop made is pretty easy. As I say 'easy' I realize I'm assuming you have a router table, if not 'easy' is a subjective term. I thought I had a thread on the method but cannot find it.

PM me if you like and I'll try to dig up the pics. Here's one on a ZCI for a CMS that has the general idea:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54160

Brady Meltzer
08-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I appreciate the input! I will go run a few of my own on the router table etc...

Taking the Delta one back to the store might not be a bad call either. ;)

Thanks again gentlemen.

Til' next time.
Brady