PDA

View Full Version : I HATE Summer!!!

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2007, 2:54 PM
Curses!:mad:

It's 99* outside right now. Heat index 105*. Last night I couldn't even finish turning a bowl and tonight ain't looking so great either. I don't know how you boys further south are even breathing. Grrrrr......

I need to move north. Snow I can deal with. Ice I can tolerate. But heat just drives me insane!

So, here's a rerun of a song I "spun" a little over a year ago. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39817&highlight=rewrite)

I am SOOOOOO ready for fall.............:(

Bob Childress
08-08-2007, 3:00 PM
I hear you! A hundred and something--who cares? Can't stay in the shop more than 15 minutes. :mad: :(

Matt Meiser
08-08-2007, 3:05 PM
The heat index is "only" 96 here. I've got to head out to cut the lawn. 2+ hours in the hot sun on the tractor. Fun.

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 3:22 PM
97 here with a heat index of 110. At least it is better than yesterday when we had a heat index of 115. Tomorrow? More of the same. School started back on Monday and we actually have football players practicing in this heat, which I think is insanity. Our stone shop is not air conditioned, and is a metal building. We start at 7 and for the past three days we decided to send the guys home for the day at noon, with pay. Not profitable for us, but beats the heck out of a work comp heat stroke incident.

I was discussing with a friend this a.m. the phrase "bear caught". Neither of us has any idea where this originated, but here in the deep South it means falling victim to heat exhaustion, or a heat stroke. Any of you other Southerners familiar with this phrase?

Phyllis Meyer
08-08-2007, 3:31 PM
I really do hate the heat! I do remember the fact that we still have snow sometimes in May. We installed a little air conditioner and it has been fantastic. Just enough to take the humidity out so I can work all day and when my husband comes home from work:cool: he can work in a cool place (yes he says he works harder for me):)!!

I wish fall would last longer in our area! Snow only the month of December, and spring could arrive.

Phyllis:)

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 3:41 PM
We installed a little air conditioner and it has been fantastic. Just enough to take the humidity out so I can work all day and when my husband comes home from work:cool: he can work in a cool place (yes he says he works harder for me):)!!

Phyllis:)

LOL! Phyllis, I wouldn't trade with you, but I did get a chuckle from your comment. I turn on the AC in April and don't turn it off until sometimes November. We will hit a lot of 80 tonight (in the early morning hours). The heat index at 6 a.m. was 91 today. Makeup application and defrizzing of hair are a total waste of time!

My parents live about two hours inland and right now they have a heat index of 118!

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2007, 3:49 PM
The heat index at 6 a.m. was 91 today....

My parents live about two hours inland and right now they have a heat index of 118!
Yep.....dunno how you deal with it.:( LOML and I did our honeymoon in Savannah 9 yrs ago and it was a wonderful place to visit. BUT.....it was November, not August. Big difference!:)

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 3:53 PM
Doesn't sound like you guys are much cooler Mark. I don't know about you but much over 97 and I really can't tell a difference. Glad you liked Savannah, you should come back for your next anniversary! At least you all get that beautiful Fall weather. I've never visited Virginia so maybe this will be the year.

Michael Morgan
08-08-2007, 4:01 PM
I know what your saying. I just loaded about 1500 Feet of lumber:( I think it's about 95 here. At least it feels like it. And its NOT a dry heat.

Michael Schwartz
08-08-2007, 4:08 PM
Its been 94 days or so since the last time i skied :mad:

Jackie Outten
08-08-2007, 4:09 PM
It's 103 here in beautiful Gloucester County, Virginia with a heat index of 115.

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 4:09 PM
I was discussing with a friend this a.m. the phrase "bear caught". Neither of us has any idea where this originated, but here in the deep South it means falling victim to heat exhaustion, or a heat stroke. Any of you other Southerners familiar with this phrase?

Never heard that one, Belinda, and I'm a Southerner by birth and the grace of God - just a little bit relocated to the Southwest.

It's hot here in the Rio Grande Valley too, but not uncomfortable unless you get into a car that has been closed and sitting in the sun. The current temp, as I write this, is 83*, it's partly cloudy, winds Southeast at 9 MPH, humidity is 31%, dewpoint is 50, heat index is 81*. Barometer is falling and humidity is increasing as the clouds start to roll in for yet another rainstorm this evening. Our overnight temp will be down around 65.

I keep telling people to move to the Southwest; one doesn't "melt" out here. And yes, we do have seasons!!!!

Nancy (135 days)

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 4:11 PM
It's 103 here in beautiful Gloucester County, Virginia with a heat index of 115.

Which is one of the main reasons why we skedaddled out of Virginia when we got the opportunity!!!! Humidity is my enemy--I just can't breathe in that muck.

Nancy (135 days)

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 4:21 PM
I'm a Southerner by birth and the grace of God - just a little bit relocated to the Southwest.
Nancy (135 days)

You need to schedule a visit back to the Southeast on October 6th for the GA/Tennessee game. GOOOOO DAWGS!

Joe Pelonio
08-08-2007, 4:41 PM
You could move here. It's currently 72 with partly cloudy skies, slight breeze.

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 4:43 PM
You need to schedule a visit back to the Southeast on October 6th for the GA/Tennessee game. GOOOOO DAWGS!

Now, Belinda, now you've really hit a nerve. "Go Dawgs" my butt.

GO, VOLS!!!!!!

Be careful, or I'll have to punish you like I did my former boss here, who is a Gators fan. I sent him a green plant, with some orange and white carnations poked into the soil and a huge orange and white Tennessee banner!! :eek: (He lost a bet). I told him that he must have it displayed in his office for one full year--he would have done the same to me with a Gator banner. He wasn't expecting what I sent, especially since I waited about two months before doing anything (had to get the banner from my sister!!), and he was really surprised and chagrined to have to display the orange and white in his office. We've laughed about it, but he won't make any more bets with me related to Vols-Gators.:D

Nancy (135 days)

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 4:45 PM
You could move here. It's currently 72 with partly cloudy skies, slight breeze.

No thanks, Joe, I spent an eternity one summer living with my former in-laws in Longview, and found out first-hand why they call it the "Great NorthWET." I thought I was going to have to grow gills or webbed feet!

Nancy (135 days)

Al Willits
08-08-2007, 4:46 PM
"""""""
I need to move north. Snow I can deal with. Ice I can tolerate. But heat just drives me insane!
"""""""""

Ah....average temp here is in the 40's, I'd be careful how far north ya move, minus zero temps and windchill temps of -45 ain't any more fun than 100+ temps...:)
And then there's the snow...first couple of inches is pretty, next couple of feet starts to get annoying, after that I can't repeat what it is on this forum...

Al...who's looking for a happy medium

Brian Robison
08-08-2007, 4:52 PM
102 here today.
Georgia has a football team?:D

Jim Becker
08-08-2007, 4:52 PM
Imagine how the two young men toiling away in the big hole behind my house making foundation footing forms feel this week...high 90s and humid as the bayou. Lucky me...I'm somewhere where it's in the mid 70s at the moment...hee hee :D

Matt Meiser
08-08-2007, 4:55 PM
A cold front is supposed to move through here tomorrow night. Hopefully it is headed your way for the weekend Jim.

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 5:01 PM
I sent him a green plant, with some orange and white carnations poked into the soil and a huge orange and white Tennessee banner!! :eek: (He lost a bet). I told him that he must have it displayed in his office for one full year. Nancy (135 days)

You're on Nancy, loser has to post pics of "gift" received and agrees to display it for a full year. Sound okay? (I'm a Vols fan except when they play Georgia, but don't tell anyone.)

102 here today.
Georgia has a football team?:D

Yes Brian, there is a Santa Claus, and he gave Georgia the Dawgs! Just a little bitty team, but they can beat the Vols.

Sorry, Mark. Didn't mean to go so off track. The heat just does that to me.

Benjamin Dahl
08-08-2007, 5:01 PM
It is rough now down south. I just returned from central Africa where I usually get hit pretty hard with the heat but it was pleasant compared to Atlanta. Be careful if you are working outside or in a hot shop as heat related illness can sneak up on you pretty quickly.
Ben

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 5:30 PM
You're on Nancy, loser has to post pics of "gift" received and agrees to display it for a full year. Sound okay? (I'm a Vols fan except when they play Georgia, but don't tell anyone.)

Yes Brian, there is a Santa Claus, and he gave Georgia the Dawgs! Just a little bitty team, but they can beat the Vols.

You're on, Belinda, and we have over 19,000 members here who are witness to this bet.

Awfully confident, aren't you?????:D :D

Seriously, for anyone who is working outside in the horrible heat, a word of advice, as was given to us in Las Vegas--DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!! Lots and lots and lots of water.

Nancy (135 days)

Steve Clardy
08-08-2007, 5:34 PM
90 in the shop
85 in the finish room
97 outside
54% humidity
110+ on the west side of the shop against the building. Thats where my outside thermometer bulb is.

74 in the house :eek: , which I don't go in till around 9:00

Stan Terrell
08-08-2007, 5:40 PM
Brenda,
I worked in the wood of southeast Georgia for 21 years. " Bear caught" is a common expression in the forestry business. I have work else where and no one was familar with it. I think it is a southeast GA thing.
And I agree GO DAWGS!!!!!

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 5:58 PM
Brenda,
I worked in the wood of southeast Georgia for 21 years. " Bear caught" is a common expression in the forestry business. I have work else where and no one was familar with it. I think it is a southeast GA thing.
And I agree GO DAWGS!!!!!

Stan,

My daddy worked in forestry, and the friend I was talking to this a.m. worked for the DNR and has been a "woodsman" all of his life. I believe you are correct that it is a southeast GA thing. In what part of GA did you work? Thanks for that Dawg support, looks like I'm in the minority so far!

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 6:06 PM
I was just reading my hometown newspaper on-line and this article was in it. Rain, we need rain!!!

http://www.ucmessenger.com/289542026744069.bsp

Nancy (135 days)

Stan Terrell
08-08-2007, 6:13 PM
Brenda,
I was based in Brunswick. We owned 600,000 acres bounded by I-75,
I-16, I-10 and the Atlantic. I worked all over that large area. I was an industrial forester.

Stan

Joe Pelonio
08-08-2007, 6:42 PM
No thanks, Joe, I spent an eternity one summer living with my former in-laws in Longview, and found out first-hand why they call it the "Great NorthWET." I thought I was going to have to grow gills or webbed feet!

Nancy (135 days)
That's unusual, even down in Longview, normally July and August are dry but not over 85 or so. The rest of the year, yes, you might grow webbed feet. Unless you are up by my parents in the Sequim area, 10" of rain in the Olympic Mountain rainshadow, compared to our 40+.It's becoming a favored retirement community, growing 20% a year but still under 6,000 population.

Oops, I gave a way a secret!

Michael Gibbons
08-08-2007, 7:02 PM
The heat index is "only" 96 here. I've got to head out to cut the lawn. 2+ hours in the hot sun on the tractor. Fun. You mean your grass is actually growing?:confused: Mine is like cutting dust. Hit a high spot and...POOF.

Mark Engel
08-08-2007, 7:06 PM
Curses!:mad:

It's 99* outside right now. Heat index 105*. Last night I couldn't even finish turning a bowl and tonight ain't looking so great either. I don't know how you boys further south are even breathing. Grrrrr......

So, here's a rerun of a song I "spun" a little over a year ago. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39817&highlight=rewrite)

I am SOOOOOO ready for fall.............:(

Hey Mark, I have your solution right here. LOML and I want to move down to NC within the next year or two. You can buy my place in New Hampshire! If you want cold, we get plenty (almost) every winter. :D

http://www.truckblog.com/gallery/Mark05KR/30041.JPG

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 7:26 PM
Beautiful place Mark! It looks so peaceful and quiet. Can't tolerate the cold, and can't leave Savannah, but if I could I'd love to have your place.

Gary Keedwell
08-08-2007, 7:29 PM
Hey Mark, I have your solution right here. LOML and I want to move down to NC within the next year or two. You can buy my place in New Hampshire! If you want cold, we get plenty (almost) every winter. :D

http://www.truckblog.com/gallery/Mark05KR/30041.JPG
I'm with you. I live in Massachusetts and I am loving this heat. LOML and I want to move south. From November to April..I can't feel my fingertips. Since I slimmed down a couple years ago, heat don't bother me. Hardly sweat. LOL
Gary K.

glenn bradley
08-08-2007, 7:36 PM
Our heat in SoCal is different. Not as nice as Arizona heat, but nice. I come alive around 80*. 100 is OK but 105 is HOT. Now 70* with high humidity . . . that is unbearable. I guess its all what you grew up with. Tank-top, shorts and sandals at Christmas time is OK by me. So what if we have to chew our air.

Ed Falis
08-08-2007, 7:58 PM
Joe P,

Sssh. Don't tell 'em about the blue hole before I move there.

- Ed

ps Gary K - where you living?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2007, 8:04 PM
Here in the Inland Northwest.....We've already seen 105.......with 18% humidity.........We are having a cold spell right now......89 today.....93 this weekend..........We only have 2 seasons.....winter and road building....

I'm not a fan of heat and or humidity.....Fat boys sweat a lot! DAMHIKT

Rick Gibson
08-08-2007, 8:36 PM
Shop is in the basement so when it is 95 outside it is still about 75 in the shop. When we get cooler days with low humidity I open the outside door and let some fresh air in. Of course come winter with an uninsulated basement it gets pretty cool at that point my choices are work in a cool shop or watch tv in a warm living room and let my brain cells slowly dissolve. I choose the cool shop.

Eddie Watkins
08-08-2007, 8:57 PM
This has been as nice a summer as I can remember. We hit 100* for the first time today. Usually by now we've had a month of 100* days. I've often thought about becoming a snowbird in the winter and going down to Brownsville, TX or rhe Rio Grande Valley for the winter. but "global warming" has just about taken care of our winters for a few years now. I can usually put up with the cold to about 20* as long as there isn't any snow.

And for you, Brenda and Stan, GO POKES!! WE're really looking forward to playing The University of Georgia on Sept 1.

Eddie

Ed Garrett
08-08-2007, 9:09 PM
Welcome to Florida

Heat index today: 114
Humidity: off-scale
Bugs: Off-scale
Pop.: Approaching 20M
Probability of Woodworking this evening: 0.0%

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Mike Henderson
08-08-2007, 9:27 PM
Here in southern California (Orange County) we normally have pretty good weather. The cool Pacific waters buffer our weather so it never gets too hot or too cool. The people who live within a few miles of the beach almost never turn on their air conditioners. I'm a few miles further inland and we do use our AC in the summer.

We also have distinct wet and dry seasons - we get our rain in the winter and almost never get any rain in the summer. Also, no irritating bugs like "no see 'ems", flys, mosquitoes, or other bugs that would chase you inside.

I lived in San Jose for a while and the weather is even nicer there (in my opinion). A bit cooler in both the summer and winter.

Overall, the coast of California is about as close as you can get to Paradise while still alive. Did I say I like living here?

Mike

Ed Garrett
08-08-2007, 9:39 PM
Mike, based on my visits to your state, I share your enthusiasm for your weather, but I sure found myself intimidated by what the weather has done to your population and house prices. Being a geologist, I still ended up saying to myself that I would try to move there in spite of what your state might do to my pension and savings...

Since my wife is out of town, I've been simulating your weather by cranking up that central A/C.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Richard M. Wolfe
08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Great summer here so far with the highest temp so far of around 95. But then summer's my time. I'll say the same thing I've told countless people....I get all the snow I care for under "s" in the encyclopedia. I don't remember the last time I turned an air conditioner on.

But that's with a humidity in the day of around 30. I worked for about five weeks last summer in mid-Georgia. AWFUL!!

James Rambo
08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Southwest Florida is home to me for almost 30 years now. I'm originally from eastern Long Island. I've kind'a gotten used to the heat 96* yesterday and today. The humidity is about 60% . Everyday mid July to mid August we get rain, can almost set the clock by it. The rain can be as much as 3 inches in a half hour (almost each day). When the rain stops (not long enough to cool the temps more than 4 or 5%) the sun comes out and the humidity rises even more, the index can be as high as 120* for an hour or more.

Gary Keedwell
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Joe P,

Sssh. Don't tell 'em about the blue hole before I move there.

- Ed

ps Gary K - where you living?
Wareham....Gate way to the Cape.

GK

Terry Fogarty
08-08-2007, 11:29 PM
I hear you! A hundred and something--who cares? Can't stay in the shop more than 15 minutes. :mad: :(

Ohhh boo hoo:rolleyes: Sook... I think we will have to take the "Honorary" title back of you if you carnt handle a few warm days:cool:

Mark Cothren
08-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey Mark Pruitt, the heat index here in Arkyville was somewhere around 110 today... but it was 74 inside my shop... I nearly froze to death... I got two words for ya......................AIR CONDITIONER.........:D

Jon Lanier
08-09-2007, 1:03 AM
I could have sworn that I was in the Sawmill forum... you know wood, tools and grunts. For some reason I think I got bounced into the Farmers Grange Hall meeting. You know, because of all the griping about the weather. :p

I use to think the farmers were the worst complainers about weather... now I'm not sure... Can some one do a poll for this? :rolleyes: Yes it is hot, it is suppose to at this time of year. It'll get cool, then really raunchy cold. Then spring will sweep us away because of all the mud... then we turn back to this weather again.

The only person I'm feeling a bit bad for is a young girl in our church who is 8 months pregnant and they only have a window air conditioner. As soon as the belly button pops out, we know she's ready for delivery... and this heat his really trying push that baby out quick!

Jim Becker
08-09-2007, 7:13 AM
A cold front is supposed to move through here tomorrow night. Hopefully it is headed your way for the weekend Jim.

Yes, I see that from the news. But it's already lovely here in Munich... ;)

Mark Pruitt
08-09-2007, 9:40 AM
Gee whiz.....I really hit a nerve....this thread really took off!:p

Another "dog day" today and again tomorrow. When the forecaster talks about "cooling down to 88 on Saturday" something is very, very wrong.:rolleyes:

If there was a job opportunity for me there, I'd be knocking on your door right now!:) "An A-Frame in the woods" has been a dream of ours for years.

Hey Mark Pruitt, the heat index here in Arkyville was somewhere around 110 today... but it was 74 inside my shop... I nearly froze to death... I got two words for ya......................AIR CONDITIONER.........:D
:mad: :mad: :mad: !!! (:o)
My shop is the garage of our house and has the benefit of being integrated into the house design, so it's "somewhat A/C'd" but when it's this hot outside that is of almost no help at all. If I had my way, I'd punch a hole in the wall and install a window unit.

I could have sworn that I was in the Sawmill forum... you know wood, tools and grunts. For some reason I think I got bounced into the Farmers Grange Hall meeting. You know, because of all the griping about the weather.
Jon, actually you're in the "off-topic" forum where "griping about the weather" is fair game.;)

Randal Stevenson
08-09-2007, 2:43 PM
Whiners and wimps!

I've been living in a house with NO a/c for 15 years. The humidity builds up and the inside of the house feels worse then the outside. I was going to put in a window unit, and my helper had to go in for emergency surgery (can't lift it myself), so I am just waiting till next year (once we are through August it's normally fine).

Belinda Barfield
08-09-2007, 3:10 PM
Wimpy I am! Heat index just hit 116, and is likely to hit 120 here just a few miles inland from the coast. We passed hot about 10:00 this a.m. Thank heaven for tank tops and shorts, and crushed ice!

Brad Schmid
08-09-2007, 3:51 PM
:D sitting here chuckling :D

I read this thread yesterday, then went home, checked the thermometer in the shade... 98.7. Ok, that's pretty warm. No wonder it felt hot on the motorcycle, with black helmet, in traffic, on hot Houston pavement...

So, I go in and sit down to take off the boots, and I click on the news. Weatherdude Dr. Neil doesn't even bother giving the actual humidity number... His words - "air is very close to saturation". Ha! that sounds about right! I suppose numbers don't mean much when you cross certain thresholds and it all feels the same:rolleyes:

It actually works for me though. I can sit on the back patio, sweat like crazy, look like I just ran 50 miles, and not actually do a thing. Gives me the illusion of a good workout:D

Stay cool y'all!

Mark Pruitt
08-09-2007, 4:49 PM
Whiners and wimps!

I've been living in a house with NO a/c for 15 years. The humidity builds up and the inside of the house feels worse then the outside. I was going to put in a window unit, and my helper had to go in for emergency surgery (can't lift it myself), so I am just waiting till next year (once we are through August it's normally fine).
You're reminding me of my Dad. He worked for decades in the auto repair business with no air conditioning. I worked for him for 6 years; I vividly recall one day when it was so doggone HOT that I prayed desparately for just so much as a breeze, it was so stifling. That was the day that I swore to never, ever complain about cold weather in winter. My favorite thing to say to people who think winter is worse: "You can always wear an extra coat, but you cannot wear an air conditioner." Shuts 'em up every time.;)

And my Dad.....over a decade into retirement, he still has this ultra high tolerance for heat. He'll play 18 holes on a summer day, then go home and cut grass. I'm living proof that heat tolerance is not genetically transferrable....:rolleyes:

Brett Baldwin
08-09-2007, 5:10 PM
103 here right now but we're on a break from the monsoons and the humidity is 14%. We're good for another couple degrees before the day's over. Until 110 its only warm here. I enjoy the AC but my Harley didn't come with it so I also get to enjoy the extra hot highways with an aircooled engine. As long as we're moving its fine but that long stop light at the end of the off-ramp can get the inner thighs medium rare.

Nancy Laird
08-09-2007, 5:46 PM
It's 93* here at 17% humidity - looks like no rain tonight.

Mark, your anecdote about your dad reminded me of my own dad. He worked for decades in the auto parts business in stores with no AC and ineffective fans, then would come home and work in the garden until dark. Now that he's 87 years old and has bad circulation, he stays cold all the time and relishes going outside and sitting in the 90 degree/98 humidity atmosphere. He's driving my mother crazy with wearing long-sleeved flannel shirts and sweaters in the house in mid-August and turning off the AC when he gets "chilly."

Nancy (134 days)

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 5:58 PM
Well 103-105 according to the banks. Humidity about 30%. Don't know heat index, or if there is one for that little humidity. But heck if it is 105 it feels 105!! Just wish I was in Phoenix. It ain't hot unless your tongue is sweatin'!!! I think that is at 120.

I remeber being in Phoenix in August of 1997, it got to 127!!! We were playing tennis! Maybe that's what's wrong with me??

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2007, 6:37 PM
Still a nice comfortable 72 and partly coudy with sun for a while today here.
The forecast is for 73-74 and sunny all weekend.

Belinda Barfield
08-09-2007, 7:18 PM
Fine, y'all just rub it in! It is 7:15 and the temp is 90, feels like 112 with 77% humidity. Do you people know what it feels like to sweat in a shower?

Tomorrow is going to be even more fun, but we are in for a "break" when it drops down to 95 on Sunday. Yes, there are folks who have it worse than me, but they're not here right now, so it's my world. :rolleyes:

Wish I could tolerate the lovely cold. However, due to a circulation problem, after I open the freezer compartment door at Kroger I can't feel my fingers. When it drops below oh, say, 45, I can't feel my hands or my feet. I close the car door on my foot a lot in winter. Folks think I'm just clumsy (which is true also), but I really have no awareness of that foot to body thing! Guess I'm stuck here. Could be worse, I hear it is hotter under ground!

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey Mark. C'mon up. 63° with a brisk breeze. Mmmm! Sure hope winter comes soon.

Joe Mioux
08-09-2007, 10:20 PM
anybody want to work in a greenhouse with temps at 105, humidity at 95 in full sun under clear poly?

Now that's HOT

David G Baker
08-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I once had a brother in law that worked on a highway crew laying blacktop in Sacramento during the Summer. Now that is "HOT"!
So far this week my area of Michigan has been protected by that high pressure that is causing all of the heat South of us. Guess it is going to move and include us in the heat wave for a few days.

Brad Schmid
08-10-2007, 9:32 AM
I enjoy the AC but my Harley didn't come with it so I also get to enjoy the extra hot highways with an aircooled engine. As long as we're moving its fine but that long stop light at the end of the off-ramp can get the inner thighs medium rare.

:D Bingo:D
Like sittin' on a gas grill;)
I often wonder how the air cooled twin can take it. I've thought about swapping my dipstick with a built in thermometer style, but I'm afraid to know the answer, what I don't know can't hurt me, right:confused: :D

Marty Rose
08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Yesterday I was watching Fox News,and they were talking about the "HEAT INDEX", Just what is a HEAT INDEX? Out here in Ca. Carrisa Plains our average heat during the day has been 115 degrees. Our heat index is IF YOU PICK UP A HOE,SHOVEL or RAKE and the handle is HOT :eek: , you have reached the Max.heat index, but just what is "The Heat Index" down South, I just do not know. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Brad Schmid
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Just what is a HEAT INDEX?

Heat Index:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/index.shtml

Ed Falis
08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
anybody want to work in a greenhouse with temps at 105, humidity at 95 in full sun under clear poly?

Now that's HOT

Did that for a while in my early 20's. Don't think the fried brain cells were ever replaced.

Belinda Barfield
08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Our heat index is IF YOU PICK UP A HOE,SHOVEL or RAKE and the handle is HOT :eek: , you have reached the Max.heat index, but just what is "The Heat Index" down South, I just do not know. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Your heat index works here in the South as well.

Lots of folks here will argue that there is no such thing as a "heat index", the temp is what it is, but humidity does play a big role in how hot it feels. Currently it is 88 with 74% humidity, which feels like 103. If you go to the NOAA site our temp/humidity combo for this afternoon isn't even shown on the graph. With 74% humidity sweat doesn't evaporate. There just isn't anywhere for the water to go. No evaporation, no cooling. No cooling, more sweating. More sweating, dehydration. Dehydration, "bear caught" (heat exhaustion/heat stroke).

With the exception of very professional businesses and offices, shorts and tank tops are considered completely appropriate work attire here, you can't stand it otherwise. Many welders and constructon workers change over to night shift. We actually pave roads here in the winter (mostly).

If you want to experience the weather first hand, come on over, we'll be glad to have you!

Mark Pruitt
08-10-2007, 12:08 PM
With the exception of very professional businesses and offices, shorts and tank tops are considered completely appropriate work attire here, you can't stand it otherwise.
I was approached just yesterday by one of the ladies in our library who asked me, "Why do you wear a [sport]coat on a day like today? A tie I can understand, but why a coat and tie?" I just laughed, said "good question!" and told her that the coat comes off the minute I leave the building and sits in the car seat on the way home.

I still remember when I was just getting started doing the work I do. My supervisor made some statement about how she was just sure that men resented having to wear a coat and tie. That was right after I had left working for my Dad and enduring the heat I was referring to in my post yesterday. I thought to myself, 'Lady you just don't know how fortunate I feel to be here in this A/C'd building wearing a coat and tie, I've been working in hell every summer for years.' I didn't say that 'cause she was a smart--- who would have accused me of being in denial.

Dusty Fuller
08-10-2007, 4:24 PM
I'm feeling exactly what the Floridians are feeling... its 94 in the shade on the windy side of the park office (John Tanner State Park). Haven't measured the sunny parts but I may have seen someone grilling without fire :confused: . I've been inside most of the day because we're got about 25 people on the entire park right now. Tomorrow will be a different story. Oh well, at least I can leave the air-conditioned office at 5:00 and go home to finishing my dog fence and mowing the grass. :(

Dusty Fuller
Carrollton, GA

Al Willits
08-10-2007, 4:46 PM
fwiw, it 93 here in Mpls, may not sound bad, but our average year around temp is in the 40's...it be hot for us snow people...:)

Al

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2007, 5:18 PM
Me no likey summer. Too hot and too humid. The older I get the worse the summers feel to me. COME ON Fall and Winter!!!!

Ernie Kuhn
08-14-2007, 2:39 AM
Joe,
Same state, over the hill (east side), lower humidity, more sun, less traffic.
Ernie

Rob Russell
08-14-2007, 7:00 AM
Riding in this morning, the bicyle computer said it was 57 degress (that was at 5:00). That was nice!

Terry Fogarty
08-14-2007, 7:15 AM
how can that
be concidered bad language???

And it points out i edited it because of the so called language?? no i didnt

Greg Crawford
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
OK, I hate cold weather. I love Texas. But, enough is enough. My shellac flakes melted together in the truck today! Just think how much we appreciate great weather! I pity those folks in San Diego, that just cannot comprehend how great their weather is.

Randal Stevenson
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
It's beginning to remind me of my days laying asphalt, or working in a garage on an overheating car.

The trick I have found is, gradually getting use to it. And don't keep going in and out of the A/C, that tends to kill the bodies adjustment mechanisms.

Then of course PLENTY OF FLUIDS.

Art Mulder
08-15-2007, 7:20 AM
Hey, I like this thread more than another global warming thread... :D

Mark, I dunno about an A-Frame in the woods, but many times I do wish that companies would spread out their jobs around the province/state/country more so that we could stop all this migrating to the city that has been going on for the past 50 years. It's always a few degrees warmer in the city -- and more than a few, for big monstrosities like Toronto. All that concrete to soak up the heat, all those buildings to block the wind, all those a/c units adding heat to the outdoors, and all those trees that have been cut down.

Beat the heat, plant a shade tree. Even on a hot humid day, the temperature in the forest is less.

(High of 28c forecast for today, 78% Humidity, and thankfully a 60% POP. We could use a nice long steady rain, but I'll take the short downpour if that is all we can get.)

...art

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2007, 9:09 AM
The local university showed that we hit 106º yesterday with the heat index being around 112º. I have partitioned off 1/3 of my shop so only to cool 2/3 of it, run both A/C units and it still reaches 100º in there.

Maybe we should all build underground.....but then that has it's own set of problems. ;)

David G Baker
08-15-2007, 9:53 AM
So far I have been fortunate, the high pressure has kept my area at a tolerable temperature and it is supposed to get better over the next few days.

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Currently tolerable at 11:45 with a temp of 89, 65% humidity, heat index of 100. Hate to wish my life away, but November can't get here soon enough.

Mark Pruitt
08-15-2007, 4:24 PM
Wow.....I was :mad: 'd about the heat in Virginia. Now I'm visiting my parents in 'Bama and it was 106* today. I was outside until about 1130 when the sun came over the side of the house where I was; it only took a couple minutes for me to know it was time to go in.

Rats!:mad: I would never have preferred this time of year to visit. I'm experiencing all over again what had me longing to move from here.

Andy, if I could take you up on your invitation I surely would!:eek:

No relief in sight either. COME ON FALL!

Jeffrey Fusaro
08-15-2007, 4:52 PM
i'm in jackson, mississippi today for a business trip.

weather.com says it's 100* with a "feels like" of 106*. thermometer in the car read 107* when i went out for lunch.

humidity is... well... steamy, to say the least.

bring it on!

after living most of my life north of interstate 70 (and now just slightly south of it), i don't care if i ever see another fall-colored leaf or snow flake.

gimme summer. twelve months of it.

i'd rather sweat than shiver.

Montgomery Scott
08-16-2007, 4:06 PM
I agree with you I could handle summer for a while.
http://bimedia.ftp.clickability.com/fishwebftp/KOMO/4_6day.jpg

Jim Becker
08-16-2007, 4:52 PM
That's kinda like it was in Munich last week, Montgomery...

Mark Pruitt
08-17-2007, 9:40 AM
I agree with you I could handle summer for a while.
http://bimedia.ftp.clickability.com/fishwebftp/KOMO/4_6day.jpg
If that's your idea of "summer" I could handle it as well. I am definitely in the wrong location.....:(