PDA

View Full Version : Wood type for walking stick?

Royce Meritt
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
My sister-in-law would like me to make a walking stick for her. I have attached a crude sketch of what I have in mind. I made a few walking sticks of this same design for some hunting buddies a few years ago and they look nice and work well.

I am planning to make the light colored accent pieces out of some white oak from a tree harvested on their farm. (I think that seems appropriate for her walking stick.) What type of darker, contrasting wood might you recommend. I would like it to be fairly light weight put still strong enough to be durable. I was thinking walnut but not sure how strong it would be. Also considered purpleheart but it might be too heavy. Any suggestions?

BTW, the sketch I have attached is not to scale. Just gives you an idea of the design. Thanks.

Don Orr
08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
What about more of that white oak with a dye or stain ?
Cherry is strong and fairly light and gets darker with an oil finish and age.
Walnut is light but may not be strong enough as you already said.

I like the design by the way. I usually just use a single length of small tree for my hiking sticks. Spruce or fir work well and are light and strong.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Lee Schierer
08-08-2007, 1:37 PM
For strength, I would make the base material full length and apply a veneer of the other woods. Use straight grained wood. Gluing pieces together would not be as strong in my opinion.