PDA

View Full Version : Need source for chamois (vacuum chuck)

Kurt Whitley
08-08-2007, 9:17 AM
Part 1:
In a presentation on vacuum chucking, David Hout told of how he had tried several materials and now recommends synthetic chamois (non-perforated) as a seal material. The chamois was impressive in the way it would take an indentation at the area of contact when the vacuum was engaged, making a very solid mount against the chuck body.
I went to several auto parts stores looking for this material, but all I can find is some new blue stuff which is packed in moisture and goes stiff when it is dry.
Anyone know where I can find the older style chamois?

Part 2:
If it is no longer available, I will go with the standard, neoprene. Where is a good place to buy some thin neoprene.
TIA!

Cheers,
Kurt

Brett Baldwin
08-08-2007, 3:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen chamois in almost every auto parts area of stores like Kmart and such. I didn't look to see if it was synthetic or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

Paul Engle
08-08-2007, 4:13 PM
If that dosen't work, call your locale fabric shop.

Keith Burns
08-08-2007, 6:21 PM
Mouse Pads work well.

Joe Tonich
08-08-2007, 8:46 PM
Mouse Pads work well.

So does the colored closed cell foam sheets they sell at WallyWorld. I use the self stick ones. Think it's in the kids art aisle.

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 9:39 AM
Neoprene gasket material!!!! Can not stress enough how this stuff takes a beating and still works great!!!!

Dick Strauss
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Neoprene will leave black marks if your bowl spins in the least (DAMHIKT).

I've also tried the wally-mart white foam. It works okay but will easily be cut if used in jam chuck mode. This can happen as you bring up the tailstock to hold the piece to be vacuum chucked and over-tighten the tailstock.

Allen Neighbors
08-09-2007, 1:07 PM
So does the colored closed cell foam sheets they sell at WallyWorld. I use the self stick ones. Think it's in the kids art aisle.

Joe, it's in the Craft Aisle in our Walmart. But you'd better stock up while you can... they are cutting out the Fabric and Crafts Departments in all Walmarts pretty soon. Ours has already quit reordering those little "foamies".

Tom Ricochet
08-09-2007, 4:04 PM
The craft foam sheets work well, and you can't beat the price. If you have a nice radius edge on your vacuum chuck body, I don't think you will have any trouble with reasonable durability of the foam. If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby close, I'm sure they carry this stuff.

Kevin McPeek
08-09-2007, 9:24 PM
I found some shelf liner at WallyMart that works well I just used some double sided tape to fasten it.

Malcolm Reding
08-10-2007, 8:24 AM
I found McMaster Carr to be a good source for all kind of sheet foam, neoprene etc. I use closed cell foam that is the same material that wet suits are made of and it works great

http://www.mcmaster.com/