PDA

View Full Version : I lost my job......now what?

Robert Miller
08-08-2007, 8:59 AM
Well,I lost my job a couple days ago. I've been in the car buisness as a car salesman for about 13 years and with a high-line for dealership for about a year.
They hired this hot-shot 32 yr. old as a sales manager and I have squared off with him from day one. It finally came to a full confrontation and he went over the head of General Manager to the owner to get it done.
My fault, I knew it would come to it. My wife is mad at me because of my big mouth, and my inability to keep it shut when I'm upset.
The reality is I'm not very upset about it ,past the fact it never comes at a good time financially. The truth is, I'm burned out from from the car buisness. I started selling cars when I was 40 yrs. old and I'm 53 now.
I've had enough.
I do not want to be chasing people around the lot at 60 yrs. old, and it's not what I ever thought I would end up doing with my life.

So, the purpose of my post is... now what?

I do not ant yet another sales job in the car business. I've always loved woodworking and I'm leaning towards seeing if it would be possible to make a living at it?
I think I have above average abilities, can make almost anything, ( except turning). I am experienced in sales and marketing so I thinkI have that side of the equation .
I have made cabinets, furniture, boats, boxes etc. My shop is better equipped than some pros I've seen.
My thoughts are to manufacture a line of several products and market them with a web site. I do not want to go into custom cabinets because I feel that I cannot compete with local cabinet shops and I do not want to build huge projects, that take weeks to complete.
Im leaning towards products that I have made as gifts for friends before, jewerly boxes, wine boxes, and a custom watch box that I made for a friend who collects antique watches.
Do any of you have expierence in woodworking as a living and what products do you think would be good sellers?

Here's a pic of my shop.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/P6260038.jpg

John Schreiber
08-08-2007, 9:06 AM
Congratulations and commiserations. Just a thought, but I wonder if with your background in sales, you might look into marketing other woodworkers' products along with your own.

Good luck.

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2007, 9:12 AM
I've never attempted to make a living at WWing and never plan to try, so can't offer any experience. But, listening to what you said about yourself, I wonder if it might be best to see if you can partner with someone. You may be great at WWing and great as a salesman, but there may not be enough hours in the day for you to do both effectively. Just my two cents. I hope you find something satisfying. And here's wishing that bozo a "dry season" to teach 'im a lesson!

Robert Miller
08-08-2007, 9:17 AM
Congratulations and commiserations. Just a thought, but I wonder if with your background in sales, you might look into marketing other woodworkers' products along with your own.

Good luck.

Thanks John, I have a friend who designs web sites so I thought about that although I do not know any local oodworkers. It seems here in Ft Myers there are not very many of us around. It would however expand the items available to sell.
Sort of a Guild of Craftsman?

Al Willits
08-08-2007, 9:17 AM
Well considering ya broke the first rule of job seeking, and that's not to quit the job ya have before ya get the next job, what your gonna do really depends on how well your set financially I think.

Don't imagine selling wood working projects is much different than selling anything else, what kinda of market is there, what will the market bear, who is also selling product in this market, and are they doing well at it may be a few things to look at.
Also maybe how does your skill and speed level compare to those who are making a living at it?

If your gonna learn the trade do you have enough finances to make it till you can produce the product in sufficient quantity to make a living at it?

What about health care, retirement, all the rest that goes with self employment?

Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.

Al

David G Baker
08-08-2007, 9:18 AM
Well,I lost my job a couple days ago. I've been in the car buisness as a car salesman for about 13 years and with a high-line for dealership for about a year.
They hired this hot-shot 32 yr. old as a sales manager and I have squared off with him from day one. It finally came to a full confrontation and he went over the head of General Manager to the owner to get it done.
My fault, I knew it would come to it. My wife is mad at me because of my big mouth, and my inability to keep it shut when I'm upset.
The reality is I'm not very upset about it ,past the fact it never comes at a good time financially. The truth is, I'm burned out from from the car buisness. I started selling cars when I was 40 yrs. old and I'm 53 now.
I've had enough.
I do not want to be chasing people around the lot at 60 yrs. old, and it's not what I ever thought I would end up doing with my life.

So, the purpose of my post is... now what?

I do not ant yet another sales job in the car business. I've always loved woodworking and I'm leaning towards seeing if it would be possible to make a living at it?
I think I have above average abilities, can make almost anything, ( except turning). I am experienced in sales and marketing so I thinkI have that side of the equation .
I have made cabinets, furniture, boats, boxes etc. My shop is better equipped than some pros I've seen.
My thoughts are to manufacture a line of several products and market them with a web site. I do not want to go into custom cabinets because I feel that I cannot compete with local cabinet shops and I do not want to build huge projects, that take weeks to complete.
Im leaning towards products that I have made as gifts for friends before, jewerly boxes, wine boxes, and a custom watch box that I made for a friend who collects antique watches.
Do any of you have expierence in woodworking as a living and what products do you think would be good sellers?

Here's a pic of my shop.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/P6260038.jpg
Robert,
Sorry about your job loss. A good salesman should always be able to find a job. The ability to sell yourself to a prospective employer should be a snap.
From what I have read on SMC it generally takes time to get to the point where the money starts rolling in when doing woodworking. If you have a good nest egg to get you by, then give it a try. If not you will probably go back to the old nose to the grind stone.
John's suggestion is a good one. Marketing some other woodworker's products will give you a feel for the business and give you direction.
I have a friend that works full time at an industry job, builds and installs custom cabinets on the side. He is good at what he does, loves his work and makes good money at both the job and side hobby/job.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2007, 9:21 AM
OUCH~!! I have about the same thing happen to me. I had the only high tech job in the north of maine and I blew it 'cause I hated (despised and loathed) the moron infant they hired to be my boss.

I'd not try to take up wood working as a business unless you are financially able to retire today.

The reason is the obvious one.
You need a market a customer base in order to make any money and that takes time to develop.

A website may possibly make you some money but you'd be in the business if getting it well positioned on the search engines. I have had some experience with this. It is both costly and time consuming. I ended up using a friend in Malaysia who recruited a team of people to google my site hundreds of times a day for months. In short order when ever you plugged my specialty of law into Google my site was at the top of the list (very first) and I paid Google nothing.

You might be better off going to the shows and selling directly to high end gift store owners. But that'd put in the production end of the business because as you know every one wants to see your "product line." You'd have to be able to produce a pile of the same things in a reasonably short time frame.

I think you can enter the cabinet business. There are CNC shops as well as assembly shops that will to the things soup to nuts. All that you'd do is sales, management, design, and supervise a little crew on the installation.

That'd put you in the sales and management part of the business where you already have substantial skills.
And you'd still have your hobby.

Or you can just go sell more cars maybe open your own lot and start with used cars.

Belinda Barfield
08-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Robert,

Honey and I have had our own business for six years now and, at least for us, it hasn't been easy.

You know woodworking, you know sales, you don't think you can compete with local cabinet companies. How about a sales job with one of those cabinet companies? In the countertop business I have worked with numerous cabinet companies on projects big and small. While some sales people are knowledgeable about the product, many aren't. It is very frustrating to work with a sales person who can sell the job, but has no idea what is involved with completion and delivery. You would be a real asset in sales. If you want to get out of sales, how about a quality control or supervisory position in a cabinet company or other wood product company?

Good luck!

Jim O'Dell
08-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Robert, that seems to be the norm for car business these days. I'm a service advisor, and I've just seen the new regime here make it so the only salesman that was certified, and knew what was going on, quit. But there are other things to sell if you are so inclined. Doesn't have to be cars.
Good luck with your decision process. Jim.
(for grins, have a friend call the dealership and ask for you, then ask where you went. They are saying our guy moved to a trailer outside Austin and is selling trinkets!! He's at a competing dealer about 15 miles away.)

Brian Robison
08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Probably not the best place to post this but..........
Robert, can you make these (just the wood and hinges)
or something close at a reasonable cost?
BTW, I lived in North Ft.Myers about 20 years ago.

Robert Miller
08-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Probably not the best place to post this but..........
Robert, can you make these (just the wood and hinges)
or something close at a reasonable cost?
BTW, I lived in North Ft.Myers about 20 years ago.

No problem, I can build you a sample if you pm me, thanks.

Robert Miller
08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Robert,

Honey and I have had our own business for six years now and, at least for us, it hasn't been easy.

You know woodworking, you know sales, you don't think you can compete with local cabinet companies. How about a sales job with one of those cabinet companies? In the countertop business I have worked with numerous cabinet companies on projects big and small. While some sales people are knowledgeable about the product, many aren't. It is very frustrating to work with a sales person who can sell the job, but has no idea what is involved with completion and delivery. You would be a real asset in sales. If you want to get out of sales, how about a quality control or supervisory position in a cabinet company or other wood product company?

Good luck!

Thanks Belinda, there is a large kitchen cabinet company here that does upper end cabinets for big homes in Naples. I sold the owner his car a few years ago. I may just look into that, since I have built several kitckens completely on my own including the design.
I think it just might be a good fit since I can make these type of cabinets as well as being able to sell them.
I'll visit him to see if he is interested.
Anything but the car buisness.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael Morgan
08-08-2007, 1:11 PM
I know a guy in Florida that imports exotic hardwood flooring. He sent me samples and it's good quality. His prices are very good as well. He is looking for sales people all over. It's commision only but the nice thing is he will drop ship all orders so you don't have to keep an inventory. If you would like his contact info send me a pm.

Mike

Ed Breen
08-08-2007, 1:24 PM
Hey Robert,
I know what you're going through. Happened to me at 51. i'm still going to work dail;y at 78!!!
As a salesman you have limitless opportunities, One thing I've always felt was that there are many small businesses who need a super salesman, but not 100% How about handling a stable of small business. A large and varied portfolio!!
Don't fear and don't give up.
Ed:)

Ken Werner
08-08-2007, 1:52 PM
Robert, sorry to hear of your difficulties. Hopefully you'll be able to turn this into a positive life change. Sounds like you were ready to leave auto sales for some time. Better things coming....

Ken

Robert Miller
08-08-2007, 3:34 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, I knew this was coming and like I said, I wasn't to happy with the new management.
I suppose it will work out for the better in the end. I just have to determine a direction from here, and that's why I thought I my woodworking skills might be something to do that I'd enjoy.
The real question is do I make my hobby a business, and how long can I hold out finacially to get it off the ground?
I'm thinking I'll get some other kind of a sales job for the time being, and get the woodworking off the ground part-time.
In the mean time it still bugs me to have let my temper get the better of me.:cool:

Michael Gibbons
08-08-2007, 3:43 PM
Robert, I'm about to get the heave-ho from Ford's. My last day will be Sept 1st. They are downsizing and I'm one of 450 low seniority people that have to go. I'm taking the buyout 'cause there is no other choice. Sorry to hear about tour difficulties. Big corporations always hire some young do-gooders that will make the change from within and turn the company around but all they do is turm our stomachs with the poop they pull. (sorry for the rant,good luck).

Chris Barton
08-08-2007, 7:21 PM
Hi Robert,

I'm sorry that things took an unexpected turn but, for me in life these have always paid off. Why not try to find a job that combines your known tallents in sales along with your love of woodworking? The cabinet job sounds like a posibility. But, you have to beware. In psychology there is a principle known as the "Premack Principle" and I will try not to break into a lecture here but, this principle suggests that once you take something you enjoy doing for the pure pleasure of it (in this case woodworking) and turn it into something you must be paid for, you tend to lose interest in what was once fun and see it as nothing more than work. There must be a zilllion custom cabinet shops out there that need good customer-focused sales help. I hope you find one that is a good fit for your skills and needs.

John Shuk
08-08-2007, 8:16 PM
Robert,
maybe check out a boat dealership. I used to sell boats and did quite well. The commissions are much better than cars and you can broker boats for people as well and that can be very lucrative. I did however give up doing to get a more predictable paycheck. I do miss doing it though.
This could lead you to do a bit more with the woodworking as well since many boat owners like to chat and you might throw it out there that you are a woodworker. This could lead into some side work here and there.
just a thought.
Best of luck.
john

Steve knight
08-08-2007, 11:58 PM
well you have the sales part down so that would help. but woodworking is a tough business to make money with. you will not enjoy doing it most likely if you do it for a living. you have to make sacrifices in quality and workmanship to make money. it is hard to sell pieces that