PDA

View Full Version : Norm's Highboy Gooseneck Thanks -Status

Charles Fernald
08-08-2007, 2:06 AM
Thanks for the inputs on ways to make the goosseneck molding. I pursued all the suggestions- bought the 3 F.W. back issues, got the book "Making Period Furniture, watched Norm's video 6 times. etc. All require experienice with chisels, which sadly I lack, and a strong grip and very steady hand with a router, more of an issue than it used to be. Norm's technique requires 4-5 router bits, 3 chisels and a whole lot of sandpaper.

I own a small Jet shaper which doubles as a router table. I found that I could buy the coping head for the 3/4" shaft, the bearing and 2 custom knives for a comparable cost to the tools Norm used and I decided to try that methodin order to reproduce Norm's gooseneck profile. I'll let you know how it works out.

I've included some pics of my progress to date. I used cherry. Since forming the knee of the cabriole leg is the hardest part, I made my own legs instead of modifying those available from Mathew Burak.

I wouldn't have started this project but for Norm's assurances at the end of his program, "You can do it". He should have said, "Kids, don't try this at home."

Jim Becker
08-08-2007, 2:26 AM
Nice work, Charles!! Keep those pictures coming!

Grant Davis
08-08-2007, 7:35 AM
Charles, that is going to be beautiful. Please post pics after finishing it.

Neil Lamens
08-08-2007, 7:36 AM
Hey that's pretty cool Charles!!!!

Gary Muto
08-08-2007, 7:37 AM
Impressive work Charles

Tony De Masi
08-08-2007, 7:46 AM
Very nice work Charles. Can't wait to see it finished.

Tony

Mike Null
08-08-2007, 7:55 AM
Good work. Keep the pictures coming.

Al Willits
08-08-2007, 8:11 AM
Well, for someone who says "don't try this at home" looks like a damn fine job so far, remember we're usually our own worse critic.
Keep them pictures coming, congrats on a great project.

Al

Don Bullock
08-08-2007, 9:50 AM
Well Charles, I'm impressed. Many years ago I wanted to make a highboy, but didn't have near the skills or tools to accomplish the task. From what I can see in your pictures you have done an excellent job on all the case work. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Richard McComas
08-08-2007, 2:44 PM
Great job! That's going to be a fine piece of furniture.

Robert LaPlaca
08-08-2007, 5:08 PM
Looks really great so far, keep up the good work!

Alex Elias
08-08-2007, 5:17 PM
Congrats. That is very impressive. Your legs look pretty nice, the furniture of course :)

Montgomery Scott
08-08-2007, 6:42 PM
You might also consider perusing Frank Gottshall's Making Masterpiece Furniture. He's got some good information on making the swan's neck molding on the shaper.

Barry Bruner
08-08-2007, 7:10 PM
Great job and by all means keep up the pics. I love the period furniture if I was as talanted as you are I would be woodworking instead of writing this post. Barry Bruner

Bob Feeser
08-08-2007, 8:28 PM
Charles,
First class work. Did you glue the canvas backing on the top curved pieces, and wetted them down before securing? If so, did the canvas procedure require a test sample panel, before the final, or is it intuitive enough for a go on the first try?

Eugene A. Manzo III
08-09-2007, 12:48 AM
I LOVE IT !!! This is what Fine Woodworking is , I hope someday I can post something

Scot Ferraro
08-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing and let us all know how it turns out. It will be beautiful I am sure!

Scot

Phil Kurcon
04-24-2014, 7:08 AM
Hi Did you have a plan or template for the legs? I also am going to make the legs. I was planning to adapt the legs in Glen Huey's book for Norm's highboy.
Thank you

mike holden
04-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Charles,
You dont list where you are located.
But, I suggest you get in contact with a local SAPFM chapter. There might be a member who would be willing to collaborate with you by supplying the carvings for your piece. Remember the old time cabinet makers usually did not do their own carving so this is not "cheating".
Mike
SAPFM = Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Chris Padilla
04-24-2014, 12:01 PM
This thread was last active 7 years ago. Keep that in mind here. :)