PDA

View Full Version : sharpening roughing gouge

paul wiser
08-07-2007, 11:23 PM
been having a problem sharpening my roughing gouge. :confused::confused: have a wolverine sharpening jig. can't seem to hold the tool steady enough. any suggestions. thanks

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Paul I use the arm with the V in the end. I move it out till it matches the bevel of the roughing gouge then roll it back and forth from one side to the other. Haven't had any problems keeping it steady. I just hold it close enough to give it a light touch.

Martin Braun
08-07-2007, 11:48 PM
I choose to freehand on the platform included with the wolverine system. All my gouges are 40', and the platform stays aligned all the time to meet this requirement. I just roll/spin the roughing gouge, with light contact with the wheel.

If you could describe a little more about what you're technique is, we might be able to help you more precisely.

Gordon Seto
08-08-2007, 1:08 AM
Paul,

You don't use the Varigrind jig to sharpen a SRG, see the video from Oneway:
http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm

You can use either Bernie's or Martin's method.

Gordon

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2007, 8:45 AM
I sharpened a roughing gouge once with the Wolverine V-arm and met with very unpleasant results. The "short" bevel on the tool caused the wheel to want to grab it. I then used the platform and no more problems. The platform gives support where it's needed for that type of tool.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2007, 9:01 AM
Looks like you have plenty of good advice already but thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. I also have the wolverine system and find that (for me) the platform works the best for spindle/roughing gouges. Once the angle is setup on the platform you can do a quick touch up at any time during your turning.

paul wiser
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
:) thank you to everyone who was kind enough to reply. i did watch the wolverine video. it helped quite a bit.