PDA

View Full Version : wooohoooo (gloat inside)

Chris Rolke
08-07-2007, 9:55 PM
well my new lathe is here

jet 1642 1.5 hp

just picked it up tonight

with it being 90+ at 9:00 at night i really didnt get a chance to try and turn on it

but from what i have seen it is awesome

major improvment over a 1236

and wow those legs are heavy

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/jet%201642/DSC07971web.JPG

but i did get help while i was setting it up

my boy decided to help take the trash out

http://rolke.dyndns.org/gallery/albums/Ethan/DSC07944.sized.jpg

he is 16 months old

and had to help put it together

http://rolke.dyndns.org/gallery/albums/Ethan/DSC07952.sized.jpg

Chris Rolke
08-07-2007, 9:58 PM
btw any of those who have this lathe

wht do you do as far as power

surge suppressor/???

or just unplug it

any ideas of which is better???

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2007, 9:59 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Chris. You look like you got a prospective woodturner there. He looks like a good helper.

Danny Yarbrough
08-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Congrats Chris! That makes two of us today with that lathe! :)

I agree, the legs are a lot heavier than they look. The challenge for my wife and I was to get the headstock and motor down to the basement on a handtruck.... it was tough to get it stable and tied down.

Enjoy!

Danny

Shannon Grizzell
08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Congratulations Chris! I've no doubt you'll enjoy that lathe.

I turned on that model several months ago when I took a class at the Cutting Edge. It seems like a good solid lathe.

George Guadiane
08-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Congratulations on a great choice...
Enjoy!

Richard Madison
08-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Chris,
Good question about the surge suppressor! Does anybody use one on their lathe? I use 'em for the computer (doesn't everybody) and TV sets. And is there a 220 version available?

Travis Stinson
08-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Congrats on the lathe Chris! :cool: To be on the safe side, just get in the habit of unplugging after each use.

Mike A. Smith
08-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Congrats Chris! Picture of your first turning while on the lathe please.

Bill Wyko
08-08-2007, 12:02 AM
That's one nice unit you got there. I have the 1442 and it's quite a workhorse. What's first on the agenda? Sommething big?:rolleyes:

Chris Rolke
08-08-2007, 6:48 AM
oh yea there will be pictures once it cools down a little

i have alot of ideas of what i want to do

and have alot of stuff i need to do

Tony De Masi
08-08-2007, 7:38 AM
Congrats Chris. I know you will love that lathe. I agree with Travis, just get in the habit of unplugging it after each use.

Tony

jeremy levine
08-08-2007, 8:18 AM
Nice...

I love the work bench in the background.

And you boy is to cute.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2007, 9:06 AM
Congrats on your new lathe!!! I have the 220v version and absolutely love it! Like already suggested - get in the habit of unplugging the lathe when you are done. It's a simple solution and you don't have to worry when storms come through your area.

Chris Rolke
08-08-2007, 9:15 AM
thanks guys

i will get in to the habit of unplugging it

the nice thing is the outlet is about 16 inches from the lathe so its really easy to get to

Pat Doble
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the lathe Chris. Hope to get a 1642 myself in the near future - just have to wait until the dust settles from spending a bunch of $$$ on adding on to the garage for a turning shop.

Jim Becker
08-09-2007, 7:45 AM
Congratulations, Chris! And your shop assistant is devine!

Chris Rolke
08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
he is fun to be around

he is always ready to help

he his addicted to anything with wheels

we have 11 antique tractors and he loves to go for rides on those but nothing beats daddy's car

http://rolke.dyndns.org/gallery/albums/Ethan/DSC07283.sized.jpg

http://rolke.dyndns.org/gallery/albums/Ethan/DSC07273.sized.jpg

and by the way i did get to turn on that lathe last night

WOW

so much of an improvment over the 1236

glenn bradley
08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
btw any of those who have this lathe

wht do you do as far as power

surge suppressor/???

or just unplug it

any ideas of which is better???

I actually unplug EVERYTHING when I'm done for the day. My new wiring plan includes a master kill switch (and a convenient light switch location, grrrr).

Tom Ricochet
08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Chris - congratulations, you will love that lathe. I have had my 2hp version for a couple of months. You might think about installing a single-throw, single-pole switch (double-pole if with 220V) in a handy-box at a convenient point in your power line. I do this for my bigger power tools - gives me an emergency power off, makes for safer hands during chuck changes, belt changes, etc., and isolates the tool from the power cord when in the off position. When there are electrical storms about, or when not using the tool for a longer period, I unplug it. Also, I have heard that the 1.5 115V version such as yours does not play well on a GFI circuit - some conflicts with the power controller it seems.

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Nice, just watch out. Looks like he is already getting ready to be driving!!
Congrats on the new lathe. Looks like you're going to be having fun!

Paul Maue
08-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Congradulations on finally getting the new lathe. I see you've cleaned up the area were your lathe was at. After buying your old lathe , I see what you guys mean by getting sucked into the vortex. On the way home with the lathe , I stopped at HF to pick up a set of lathe tools. I managed to clear out an area in my garage and getting it set up. I was able to get a copy of Richard Raffen book from the library. But, I didn't have any scrap wood to practice with. A couple of days later after talking to my brother, he gave me a chain saw and also happened to have a 15" cherry tree and some other trees that had fallen over on his property. I've been practicing with the scrap before I use the cherry.
The other day I picked up a slow speed grinder and will start making the jigs needed to sharper the tools. Now when I drive down the road I see all these different places that I need to stop at and pick up a log or two.

Again Congradulations on getting that bigger lathe

Chris Rolke
08-09-2007, 7:12 PM
paul

i told you to run the other way when you over here looking at the lathe

:)