PDA

View Full Version : Don't you folks ever watch TV?

Ed Garrett
08-07-2007, 9:42 PM
I find myself on the computer all day at work, chores and a little woodworking at home, occasionally I splurge and goof off at Sawmill Creek, but sometimes I go for days and days without a minute in front of the boob tube.

Is this normal among woodworkers???

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Ron Jones near Indy
08-07-2007, 9:54 PM
What's a TV? :confused: ;)

Nancy Laird
08-07-2007, 9:56 PM
My television gets turned on in the morning while I'm getting ready to go to my day job, then gets turned on late at night for news or late-night whatever is on that will put me to sleep. A little different on weekends, but for all intents and purposes, we watch television about 2 hours cumulative a week.

Nancy (136 days)

Ed Garrett
08-07-2007, 10:14 PM
That's great, Nancy.

If I lived in New Mexico, you'd have trouble even getting me to come inside, let alone watch TV.

Jim Underwood
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
TV?:rolleyes:

Maybe 4 hours per year, and that's on someone else's nickel.

Last fall's line-up made me nauseous just reading the descriptions. Why would I pay good money for that junk? I'd rather spend the time and money on woodturning.:)

Tim Morton
08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
My TV is on most nights and tuned to the Red Sox game:D I also like watching House, and a few others... The Dog Whisperer has been on quite a bit as well.;)
So put me in the "need to get outside more" or "need to get down in the shop more":D

Andy Hoyt
08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
TV is supposed to be free - that's what commercials are for.

And when the antenna fell off the roof a few years back, I said the heck with the whole shebang.

Gary Keedwell
08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey Ed.....I think your breaking some kind of record for most threads started in one nite!!!;) :D

Gary K. ( can this be "global warming" residue?)

Gary K.

Ed Garrett
08-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks Gary. I hope I'm not irritating as many woodworkers this time...

Randal Stevenson
08-07-2007, 11:24 PM

That box that has a fake wood veneer, that you think needs to really be walnut, (insert wood here).
Can you tell I have an older TV. I finally got tired of the 1960 Zenith around 95, when I got a new one as a Christmas present. The next year I got a dvd player, and had to wait for a couple of years, till I bought the adapter so it would hook to my TV, just to watch that Kreg dvd my father bought me. LOL

TV is supposed to be free - that's what commercials are for.

And when the antenna fell off the roof a few years back, I said the heck with the whole shebang.

Don't get me started on that. Cable shouldn't have commercials!

Dennis Peacock
08-07-2007, 11:35 PM

I hear ya....

Without TV leaves plenty of time for the family and the shop. ;)

Nancy Laird
08-07-2007, 11:50 PM
That's great, Nancy.

If I lived in New Mexico, you'd have trouble even getting me to come inside, let alone watch TV.

Ed, there are lots of times when it's prudent to be inside, like the last few nights with the thunderstorms dumping up to 1.7" of rain in a half hour. Or this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48054 about our snow just before Christmas. The one that started on December 30 dumped about 20" - I thought I had posted pictures, but guess I didn't. That was the time when I didn't get my car out of the drive for 6 days! I sure got a lot of work done during those 6 days!

Nancy (136 days)

glenn bradley
08-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Don't have TV. Don't miss it. Watch at LOML's house now and then when I'm there but of course, my shop isn't there and she is. I know my weaknesses and if I had TV, my productivity would drop to almost nil.

Brent Dowell
08-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, I'll put in a post for the rest of the unwashed.

I have a tv or radio on most all of the day. I have a tv in the shop, and leave it on when I'm in there. I'm kind of a news junky, so need to keep up with the goings on.

Usually have on 'News', reality programs (Dangerous Catch, Dirty Jobs, Dog Whisperer, Ice road truckers, etc), Nature programs, and of course, woodworking and home improvement.

Oh, and on saturday afternoons, sometimes I watch that painting show with Bob Ross so I can get a quick half hour nap in.

Jim Becker
08-08-2007, 2:22 AM
I haven't watched TV for years outside of local news and GMA in the morning as our MBR TV is also our "alarm"...

Ron Jones near Indy
08-08-2007, 8:53 AM
I'm surprised that no one has defined a TV as a "Norm and/or Roy delivery vehicle". :cool:

Mark Pruitt
08-08-2007, 9:04 AM
One reason I keep my TV.

CSI.

Almost everything else is worthless.

BTW, Sara has been under that car for a few months now. Wonder how she's doing?:rolleyes: :p

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2007, 9:06 AM
I like Squawk in the morning. But then I like Becky.

Al Willits
08-08-2007, 9:06 AM
Must be odd man out here, we spent a goodly amount of money for a HT system, and use it fairly often, I watch many of the woodworking shows, drag racing, history channel, weather, a few TV and pay per view movies and a few assorted other shows.
Wife is hooked the series The Closer, and I like the Sci-fi channel.

Usually we watch after supper and when whatever else was planned is done, also them days when its in the 90's or below zero we tend to hide indoors.

We forgo going to the movie theaters as the home system has a better sound system and the popcorn is much cheaper, also don't have to put up with screaming kids, screaming adults, or just people in general...:)

Al

Mike Wilkins
08-08-2007, 9:51 AM
Please believe me; you are not missing much. There used to be some decent shows on HGTV worth watching. Now all you get is some house-hunting shows, or some show trying to turn trash into a vintage hierlom. The rest of the tube is nothing but bad news, dumb reality shows, celebrities caught in acts of stupidity, and reruns.
After all that, the shop really sounds like a sanctuary.
Lets go make some sawdust.

Ed Falis
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm another "don't got one" guy. Well, we got one, but we only use it to occasionally watch a rented movie. Don't get any broadcast or cable stations on it. Don't miss it, but I got in that habit almost 40 years ago.

James Carmichael
08-08-2007, 1:31 PM
I could live very happily without one.

I have a 5-year-old, so I'm up on all the Disney movies. Other than that, LOML and I enjoy sports and the occaisional movie together.

I'm really starting to HATE HGTV & DIY. LOML loves the home improvement shows where they remodel a house in one weekend, then wonders why I can't complete projects as fast as guys on TV. I tell her if I had a crew to do the real work when the camera wasn't rolling and used only butt-joint-with-brad construction, I, too, could complete projects in a single weekend, and have the following weekend free to rebuild them since they probably won't last the week.

Nancy Laird
08-08-2007, 1:35 PM
I'm really starting to HATE HGTV & DIY. LOML loves the home improvement shows where they remodel a house in one weekend, then wonders why I can't complete projects as fast as guys on TV. I tell her if I had a crew to do the real work when the camera wasn't rolling and used only butt-joint-with-brad construction, I, too, could complete projects in a single weekend, and have the following weekend free to rebuild them since they probably won't last the week.

You could also tell her that if that ONE project was the only thing that you had to do in that 48 hours, it might be possible, but you still have to eat, sleep, take care of your child, be nice to her, run errands, go to work, etc., so the entire 48 hours wouldn't be yours. Tell her if she can give you 48 uninterrupted hours, you'll see what you can do.;) :rolleyes: See what she says.

Nancy (135 days)

Phyllis Meyer
08-08-2007, 3:36 PM
We do sit down about 9:00 to watch T.V., the news (although nothing good on there), we rent movies, and look forward to the fall when all the new shows are on. Our favorites are: Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, American Idol, CSI-Thursday, Desparate Housewives (yes we have to watch the silly ones too...they offset the serious stuff going on in the world).

Phyllis:)

Michael Gibbons
08-08-2007, 3:49 PM
I'm more of a video guy. Watched Rob Cosman in Rough to Ready about 4 times since I got it a week ago. Now I have to get a scrub plane. Norm reruns on VHS that I taped, and some hunting dvd's. Hunting season is right around the corner ya know!

Mike Cutler
08-08-2007, 5:02 PM
No TV at our house. Nothing personal, or an attack on anyone that does enjoy TV. Just doesn't fit our lifestyle.
I do watch movies on the computer though.;)

Michael Gibbons
08-08-2007, 7:04 PM
No TV at our house. Nothing personal, or an attack on anyone that does enjoy TV. Just doesn't fit our lifestyle.
I do watch movies on the computer though.;) Those same movies would look a whole lot better in 1080i on a 50 flatscreen.:D

Mike Cutler
08-08-2007, 7:42 PM
Those same movies would look a whole lot better in 1080i on a 50 flatscreen.:D

They look pretty good on the 30" Apple Cinema HD display too.;)

Some of those big units are amazing. I do admit, I check them out when I'm in a BestBuy store.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-08-2007, 7:59 PM
Even though I asked "What's at TV", I do watch, occasionally, a few shows. Reruns of the Andy Griffith Show, Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Law & Order along with NASCAR races and pro and college football and college basketball are enjoyable. No interest in MLB or the NBA. Sometimes I'll watch Norm and Roy.

John Daugherty
08-08-2007, 8:13 PM
Another vote for Andy Griffith. I like the old shows on TV land. Fred Sanford usually has me in stitches more that once. I am also a college football fan and watch a lot of games. Our local channel also broadcasts local high school football games that I like to watch.

glenn bradley
08-08-2007, 8:18 PM
I'm surprised that no one has defined a TV as a "Norm and/or Roy delivery vehicle". :cool:

I don't get Norm or Roy without buying 457 channels I don't want. I guess that's why I don't miss it. I used to rent movies but, the DVD died about a year ago . . . I oughta get a new one.

Rick Gibson
08-08-2007, 8:44 PM
The wife has it on almost all day for the noise, most of the time she's not even in the room. Me if it wasn't for her I probable wouldn't even own one. Got an antenna and get about 8 channels, no way am I going to pay good money I could use on wood or tools for cable tv.

Richard M. Wolfe
08-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I have an exterior antenna and refuse to pay money to watch television. About ten years ago a storm took it down and I did a little experiment and went for several months and don't really think I missed much. But yes, I did put up another antenna...mainly to see some PBS.

Want to see something spooky? Sometime when you're in a room with several other people watching TV watch them watching for a while. Zombies.

John Bailey
08-09-2007, 7:44 AM
Don't have one - don't want one!!

John

David G Baker
08-09-2007, 8:09 AM
I own two 19 inch TVs. I start watching at 8:00 almost every evening when there are programs on that are not reruns. If my shop was attached to my home I would spend more evening time working in it. When I was young I would get home from work around 6:00, eat dinner and head for the shop. Most of the time I would quit around 11:00. Now I don't do the number projects that did back then so TV, Internet or reading has filled the void.
I do know woodworkers that spend the night working on projects or get up very early to work on them.

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 1:49 PM
Well unfortunately I watch too much tv. I don't watch the typical stuff tough. Really the only 6 channles we use on our tv is food network, dicovery, and the cartoon network, boomerang, and cstv (college sports tv). We get a lot moore in the dish network family package, but really don't like them. We also get our local channels over it as well, but only turn them on typically when there is a bad storm brewing. It's tha main reason we have anything at all.

I am trying to cut down on watching it, but wife wants it for in the day while I'm not home. Gives her noise besides screaming kids.