PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Solution - PICS*

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2004, 7:12 PM
Well.....LOML and I decided today that we would go ahead and get the new compressor. Needless to say......it followed us home today.!!!!

It may have a Husky name on it but it is all CH. Boy...its takes a while to fill this tank up.!!!!! :)

The noise level on this one is about 1/2 of my old compressor so you can at least talk to someone while standing only a few feet from it. A nice improvement in my opinion. I only found one minor problem with it, it has a small air leak where the air pressure switch screws into the tank. I have emailed CH about this to see what they advise for me fixing this leak. Other than that....she sure is SWEET..!!!! Here is a couple of pics of the new shop addition.

BTW....I bought a new pressure regulator and a new moisture trap. The old ones were coated with oil and rusting.

Tyler Howell
01-23-2004, 8:04 PM
OOOOOOH! AAAAAAAH! Nice Dennis

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2004, 8:17 PM
OOOOOOH! AAAAAAAH! Nice Dennis

Tyler....you're a real hoot..!!!! You also knew before I even decided that this would come home with me today...now didn't you? ;)

John Miliunas
01-23-2004, 8:27 PM
Tyler....you're a real hoot..!!!! You also knew before I even decided that this would come home with me today...now didn't you? ;)

Yeah, 'ya know...For a Viking fan, Tyler's OK. (WHO said that?! :D )

Hey, nice score on the compressor, Dennis! Both of mine are the oil-less type and both, especially the bigger Sears, are L-O-U-D! I think there would be some stiff competition if I put my Craftsman shop vac next to the bigger one and started them both up! Anyhow, I think you did OK. CH is fine in my book. I guess if I were using one a LOT and daily, I would look into the IR or one of them other HI-$$$ units, but for most of us, I'm sure it would do the trick just fine. Well, maybe not for Becker, but...welll...That's another story.

BTW, how did you ever make out with your septic issues? Find a LO-$$$ resolution? :cool:

Jim Becker
01-23-2004, 8:29 PM
Sure is red!!! No doubt about it. 'Glad to hear that the sound level is a lot less...just think what it won't sound like if you can get it in a closet too!! :D

Seriously, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it as time passes as I really do need to do a compressor upgrade...the ol' 20 gallon DiV is on it's last legs.

BTW, you might want to put one of those quick release drains on the bottom so you can easily release the water without dumping all the air. I plan on doing that when I get mine...crawling on my hands and knees with a pair of pliers to unscrew the cap on the current drain is not my idea of a good time.

Mike Cutler
01-23-2004, 8:36 PM
Dennis. It looks like a real nice unit, that should serve you well for a long time. It's really great that your wife is supportive of your decision/choice, and actually went to pick it up with you. Very cool.

Scott Coffelt
01-23-2004, 8:56 PM
or sumtin with that old color. Bet be carful or ole hatfield be taken that home with him.

Nice compressor. I sure the leak is minor and can be fixed real easy, most likely they didn't get enough sealer on the stem. Curious to see what the mfr says.

They do take for ever to fill, but take half to empty (go figure that).

Chris Padilla
01-23-2004, 9:02 PM
BTW, you might want to put one of those quick release drains on the bottom so you can easily release the water without dumping all the air. I plan on doing that when I get mine...crawling on my hands and knees with a pair of pliers to unscrew the cap on the current drain is not my idea of a good time.

Quick-release drain? Where for art thou??

Never heard of such a thing but it sounds nice. Pointers? :D

Terry Hatfield
01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
"Bet be carful or ole hatfield be taken that home with him."

You city boy's can't speak Arkansas for...well you know. :D

I have a big RED Snap-On compressor already. :D

t

Terry Hatfield
01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
d,

:D

t

Boyd Gathwright
01-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Dennis, That sure is a nice looking unit. It should do the job for you.:)

Boyd

Well.....LOML and I decided today that we would go ahead and get the new compressor. Needless to say......it followed us home today.!!!!

It may have a Husky name on it but it is all CH. Boy...its takes a while to fill this tank up.!!!!! :)

The noise level on this one is about 1/2 of my old compressor so you can at least talk to someone while standing only a few feet from it. A nice improvement in my opinion. I only found one minor problem with it, it has a small air leak where the air pressure switch screws into the tank. I have emailed CH about this to see what they advise for me fixing this leak. Other than that....she sure is SWEET..!!!! Here is a couple of pics of the new shop addition.

BTW....I bought a new pressure regulator and a new moisture trap. The old ones were coated with oil and rusting.

Dean Baumgartner
01-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Very nice Dennis. I'd love to upgrade to an oil type compressor. I can't hear a thing everytime my CH oil less runs but it does keep on running so I just can't pry the wallet open enough for a new compressor.

Chris, I think a while back somebody reccomended either here or on WoodCentral that they had an automatic water drain that they got at Harbor Freight that worked well. No personal experience on that.

Dean

Bud Duffy
01-23-2004, 11:14 PM
I have a DeVelbiss oil less and finally had to do the rebuild after 12 years of continous use, it was real simple and only cost $37 for the kit. so i guess it will be another 10 or so years before i will be in the market for a new one . Congrats on the new big red Dennis!!! I am kinda curios about the drain thingy too!

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2004, 11:21 PM
d,

:D

t

Hey "T"....

:D ;) :D

"D"

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2004, 11:24 PM
or sumtin with that old color. Bet be carful or ole hatfield be taken that home with him.

Nice compressor. I sure the leak is minor and can be fixed real easy, most likely they didn't get enough sealer on the stem. Curious to see what the mfr says.

They do take for ever to fill, but take half to empty (go figure that).

Scott....I've been "limpin' " on this old compressor for a long time now. I checked out my air lines, vavles and such and everything is coated on the inside with compressor oil. I drained the tank on it today before the replacement and it was more oil than water now.....I guess the timing was perfect. I guess I can keep the 5HP motor now and make me a "real mans" buffing and grinding set with it!! ;)

'sides that....Terry can't have the new one....he already has a nice RED Compressor...two stage at that.... :D

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Sure is red!!! No doubt about it. 'Glad to hear that the sound level is a lot less...just think what it won't sound like if you can get it in a closet too!! :D

Seriously, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it as time passes as I really do need to do a compressor upgrade...the ol' 20 gallon DiV is on it's last legs.

Yup....she's RED alright..!!!!! I too was glad to discover that the sound level was considerably LESS than the old compressor. Makes the main shop section a lot quieter now when it is running. I'll keep you posted after I make my next spray job on the daughters desk I have to build now. Sad part is....she also needs a new "chest-of-drawers"...!!!! Sheesh, and I just THOUGHT I was done making those things..!!! :D

BTW, what is this quick release drain you is a talkin' 'bout..?

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Yeah, 'ya know...For a Viking fan, Tyler's OK. (WHO said that?! :D )

Hey, nice score on the compressor, Dennis! Both of mine are the oil-less type and both, especially the bigger Sears, are L-O-U-D! I think there would be some stiff competition if I put my Craftsman shop vac next to the bigger one and started them both up! Anyhow, I think you did OK. CH is fine in my book. I guess if I were using one a LOT and daily, I would look into the IR or one of them other HI-$$$ units, but for most of us, I'm sure it would do the trick just fine. Well, maybe not for Becker, but...welll...That's another story.

BTW, how did you ever make out with your septic issues? Find a LO-$$$ resolution? :cool:

Thank John....!!! I finally figured out that what most of us serious hobbiest types can get by very well with a single stage compressor. If this one goes "kuh-poot"....I will get a two stage then. But the <b>septic solution</b> is yet to be found. From the talk around here, I will need about $5K to get it fixed and then there won't be a guarantee that it will be "right".!!! Oy-Vey........

Ted Shrader
01-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Dennis -

Had to out in the garage and make sure mine was still there! :D :D

Sure is nice being able to talk while the compressor is running, isn't it. You will enjoy.

Ted

David Rose
01-24-2004, 2:17 AM
Dennis, that's a neat score! I'm happy for you. Gotta get some air one day.

David

Bob_Hammond
01-24-2004, 6:54 AM
On mine I removed the existing valve, and put in a 90, and then a 6 inch straight piece and then bought a heavier duty valve. It was about a $6 fix and makes it very easy to drain.

Bob

Dan Cameron
01-24-2004, 1:18 PM
Dennis, I bought the identical unit a few months ago, but with a CH
label on it. My compressor also had a leak where the regulator screwed into the tank. There was no sealant on the threads whatsoever! I used Vibraseal and stopped the leak. Turning the tank while I held the regulator still sure was a chore. BTW, CH was suggesting that I take the compressor into the nearest repair facility.

JayStPeter
01-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Congrats Dennis.
Looks like a red version of my CH.

Jay

Dennis Peacock
01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Dennis, I bought the identical unit a few months ago, but with a CH
label on it. My compressor also had a leak where the regulator screwed into the tank. There was no sealant on the threads whatsoever! I used Vibraseal and stopped the leak. Turning the tank while I held the regulator still sure was a chore. BTW, CH was suggesting that I take the compressor into the nearest repair facility.

Dan...mine leaks exactly where yours leaked. If CH wants me to take it to my nearest service center....then they can come and get it themselves!!!!!!! I ain't hauling this thing 6 hours to my nearest service center....get a grip..!!!!! I will talk with CH on Monday. BTW, I can't turn the tank and hold the regulator....mine is leaking where the pressure switch and electrical power switch screws ON to the brass fitting that goes into the tank...so I would have to undo all the wiring that I did and what the factory did, undo the little black line that runs from the tank to the bottom side for the pressure switch and then turn the pressure switch while holding the brass male adapter while tightening. I don't think there is a single drop of sealer anywhere on this thing...it all looks too clean to have sealant on the threads.

I guess I will see what they say on Monday. BTW....I am upset that you can't talk with a real person at CH.....you have to inquire via the web and send a technical question and wait for them to get back to one on the next business day. Oy-Vey Dude..!!!!!

JayStPeter
01-25-2004, 9:47 AM
Yeah, that switch assembly is junk. The cheesy plastic power switch was cracked on mine. When I opened it up, all kinds of little plastic bits fell out. I just use the breaker to turn it off anyway since my shop is in the basement and the compressor in the garge.

Jay

Rob Russell
01-25-2004, 11:49 AM

Take is step further and put a solenoid valve on a timer. That way it automatically dumps the water based on the schedule you pick (ex. once a day for 15 seconds).

Byron Trantham
01-25-2004, 1:03 PM

Jim,
I would like to know about this too. Where do get something like that? What's its offical name?