PDA

View Full Version : Need New Biscuit Joiner

CPeter James
01-23-2004, 6:22 PM
I need to replace my $99.00 Ryobi biscuit joiner. Is the PC 557 the best reasonably price unit or is it somethine else? I can't affor a Lamello.

Thanks

CPeter

Mark Singer
01-23-2004, 6:57 PM
CPeter
That is the one I have and I like it. I used to have the Dewalt...also nice.
Mark

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-23-2004, 7:12 PM
My first one was a PC. It broke (can't remember what happened...it got dropped or something fell on it), and I replaced it with the DeWalt. I prefer the DeWalt.

KC

Kurt Aebi
01-23-2004, 7:36 PM
I have the DeWalt and it works fine, personally I believe that the PC is good too. Pick either one and I don't think you will go wrong.

Wes Bischel
01-23-2004, 7:44 PM
I have the Dewalt as well. It has a good sturdy fence and is well balanced. I have used it a lot and would buy another without question.

Wes

Dick Parr
01-23-2004, 8:02 PM
Another vote for the Dewalt. Great tool.

Jim Stastny
01-23-2004, 8:23 PM
I have the PC. The versatility of the fence can't be beat. However, the DeWalt is a fine machine, too.

Walt Pater
01-23-2004, 8:39 PM
I've got the PC, use it a bunch and like it.

Scott Coffelt
01-23-2004, 8:48 PM
the PC looks like a good unit too.

Chris Padilla
01-23-2004, 9:04 PM
PC is what I have...luv it! I don't have any personal experience with the DeWalt.

Paul B. Cresti
01-23-2004, 9:12 PM
I need to replace my $99.00 Ryobi biscuit joiner. Is the PC 557 the best reasonably price unit or is it somethine else? I can't affor a Lamello.

Thanks

CPeter

I have the PC and the fence is great. It also is the only one that can use mini biscuits.

Fred Voorhees
01-23-2004, 9:26 PM
I have used the PC now for a number of years and love it. I'm sure that the Dewalt is just as nice a machine. The added benefit of face frame bisquits with the PC had a bit to do with my choice. The PC has almost always been in the $200 range, but just recently, and I'm not sure where now, but I saw it advertised for around $180, which is a nice discount.

Fred

George Summers
01-23-2004, 9:43 PM
My standard answer to "The" biscuit joiner question:

I bought the Freud JS102.

1. I (and your use may be different) use it 95% of the time for flat 90° slots. You don't need a fancy fence for those.

2. I have never found a need for FF biscuits and if I did I'm not sure I would want to futch around changing the blades back and forth. Besides, I can buy the little (used to be Ryobi) Craftsman and have a dedicated mini-biscuit joiner.

3. Some say that the DeWalt and the PC will do 135°, implying that the Freud won't. You don't use a biscuit in just one side of a miter joint, if I need to biscuit a mitered corner, I can place the two mitered pieces face to face, with both long ends in the center coming to a point. I then have a 90° reference angle with which to place a slot in each matching miter face.

4. I bought mine for $110 on sale ($125 regular). If I ever buy the Craftsman mini joiner, I will have spent less than the cost of the PC and just a tad more than the cost of the DeWalt (and have a dedicated mini joiner).

As exciting as it may seem, you don't need to buy a Ferrari to drive to and from work when a Ford will get you there and back.

George

Bud Duffy
01-23-2004, 10:05 PM
I have the Dewalt i bought it at the used tool store for$75 with the case and all the other goodies looks like brand new i have used it for a while now with no problems. I havnt tried any of the others so i dont know what the diffrence is. Just my .02

Dean Baumgartner
01-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I have the Dewalt and have used it for 8 years or so. Other than the dust collection port likeing to plug it works great. A friend of mine has the PC and is very happy with it but IIRC there was a patent issue with the fence and there is some aftermarket shimming that needs to be done to get it to work like you would expect it to. Has anybody else heard of this?

Dean

John Miliunas
01-23-2004, 11:05 PM
My standard answer to "The" biscuit joiner question:

I bought the Freud JS102.

I'll second George with the Freud,though I'm not positive if it's the same model or not. I've used it for about 7 or 8 years and it works just fine. With my Fein Mini Turbo hooked up to it, *all* the chips are cleared out from the slot and I don't end up with a mouthful like I used to! I found the stock bag is close to useless, as the port gets plugged up in no time. With the vac, it's great! If I recall, way back then, I picked it up in the sub-$100.00 range. Never even gave a thought to replacing it with anything else. :cool:

Ted Shrader
01-23-2004, 11:43 PM
CPeter -

I have the PC and like it.

1. The top handle stays stationary. When you push in the motor/body only one part moves.

2. It will do Face Frame biscuits. I use that feature a lot. I have loaned it to a very good friend a couple of times for FF use. His doesn't do FFs. The blade change is very easy.

3. I have used the angle capability of the fence to build 45° corner units. Having the face of the fence on the larger flat side of the panel is steadier than on an edge of another panel backed up to it.

Dislikes:
1. Poor dust collection. The chute to the bag clogs pretty easily. I don't have a dust collector (yet).

Recommendation: Go try some out for feel. Buy the one that feels best in your hands (and on your wallet :) )

Regards,
Ted

Bill Ryall
01-24-2004, 7:51 AM
Another vote for the PC. LOML recently surprised me with one. Love it.

Bill R

Mike Evertsen
01-24-2004, 9:48 PM
I have the freud 102 it's worked good for me,,,,

Scott Coffelt
01-24-2004, 11:44 PM
I have the Dewalt and have used it for 8 years or so. Other than the dust collection port likeing to plug it works great. A friend of mine has the PC and is very happy with it but IIRC there was a patent issue with the fence and there is some aftermarket shimming that needs to be done to get it to work like you would expect it to. Has anybody else heard of this?

Dean

Dean,

Break the small tab inside the chute. I did and mine worked much better, not clogs.

Dean Baumgartner
01-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Dean,

Break the small tab inside the chute. I did and mine worked much better, not clogs.

Thanks for the tip Scott. I think the tab inside is a safety thing to prevent you from sticking a finger in the chute to clear a clog which you wouldn't get if the tab wasn't there in the first place.

Just another example of the lawyers trying to protect us from ourselves and making it difficult to use the thing.

Dean

CPeter James
01-27-2004, 10:56 AM

Thanks

CPeter

I went to HD and bought the 557. It seemed to have the features and the price was $197-sorry that the $30 gift certificate program had ended. It was a type 3 which is supposed to have fixed the quirks in the fence. A few trial cuts yesterday and it seems to be fine. I remember when I went from a Craftsman router to a PC690, what the differenct was, well going from my Ryobi to the 557 is the same-smooooth cutting and no vibration.

CPeter

Dick Gayan
11-09-2008, 9:33 PM
I recently bought both the regular size and mini size biscuit joiners on ebay. They both work fine for what I want to do. I was not looking for the mini but they came as a package for about $80. so I got 'em. I did not get instruction books, so I have a question. Does the mini use FF size biscuits. I have a sample FF and it is too thick to fit the slot cut by the small Ryobi. What is the proper biscuit for this small joiner?

Mike Tidd
11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Although I've only had experience using the Dewalt, I'd rather have saved for the Lamello. Especially for such a useful tool.

Dust extraction is poor, especially when it comes to clearing the cut on solid wood, (not so much on sheet stock) requiring dustbag removal.

Irritating blast from the air vent in your face when your looking down as you cut.Making sure you get some extra lungfuls of dust.

To be fair it's not all bad , it has a nice long cabel .:D

My workshop's got most reputable brands from Bosch, makita to Festool including several Dewalt tools. However, the purchase of the DW682k has really turned me off Dewalt for good (not really impressed by any of them, to tell you the truth). Suitable for hobby and site work only in my opinion. :eek:

No experience of PC models

Mike

Doug Shepard
11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
...Does the mini use FF size biscuits. I have a sample FF and it is too thick to fit the slot cut by the small Ryobi. What is the proper biscuit for this small joiner?

The only biscuits that will fit the Ryobi mini is the ones made for them (or I guess CMan now). 3 different sizes, but they're all smaller than the PC FF biscuits. I dont use my little Ryobi very often, but every once it a while it's a darn handy little tool.

Dar Lounsbury
11-10-2008, 1:04 PM
Dewalt. Works well and is affordable. Lamello is no doubt better but at a much greater cost.

Charles Robertson
11-10-2008, 1:05 PM
Had the Freud many years ago. It was very patient and taught me how to use itself. When the Dewalt came out, I upgraded to its sweet self. Have used both for 1000's of biscuits. Prefer the Dewalt. Have not had the opportunity to drive the Lamello. Keep hoping for a Lamello container to fall over-board and wash ashore. Wonder if I could find some help to drag it off the beach. Good luck with your choice. Al R.

BOB OLINGER
11-10-2008, 2:26 PM
I've had the Dewalt for several years; don't use it a lot, but works great when I do - no problems. I haven't used other brands, so can't comment on them; sure there are others that perform just as good.

John Thompson
11-10-2008, 3:14 PM
I had the Dewalt and sold it here on-line to get the PC. The Dewalt is good but the PC had the capacity for the small biscuits which are nice if you do any picture frames or small work. Close but.. I prefer the PC over the DW by just a hair but... cannot say why.

I will add that my PC has been used no more than about 45 minutes as I basically don't do biscuits. So.. my biscuit cutting experience is limited due to a preference for mortise and tenons.

Sarge..

glenn bradley
11-10-2008, 3:48 PM
I had the PC. Didn't use it much and sold it. Have been kicking myself ever since.

Don Dorn
11-10-2008, 5:16 PM
I think most of the name brand biscuit jointers provide good results - guess I'm the first to say that mine is a Makita. Very simple, stout and versitile fence and it sends the chips flying. Didn't know about removing the tab in the DeWalts - even though I'm happy with mine, I probably would have bought a yellow one had I been aware what caused them to clog up.

Jason White
11-10-2008, 5:44 PM
I have the DeWalt and it's a solid machine. Also decent dust collection when hooked up to a vac.

Jason

Thanks

CPeter

Chris Matus
11-10-2008, 5:46 PM
A lot of folks have moved away from using biscuits. I bet if you posted a couple of WTB messages on the forums in the buy and sell sections, you would get a reasonable deal.