PDA

View Full Version : My First Gloat-worthy post and first bowl

Danny Yarbrough
08-07-2007, 6:05 PM
Hello all,

Well, I finally feel like I have something "Gloat-Worthy" to post about. I've been turning for about 2-3 years now, all on my trusty Jet Mini Lathe (6 speed model, not EVS).

Yesterday, I took delivery of it's big brother, the Jet 1642 EVS (1.5 HP model). It's currently off the pallette in pieces on the floor of my garage, waiting for some help from my lovely wife, Donna, to get it hauled to the basement and assembled. She worked a temp job this summer, and is mostly financing this purchase. (she's a keeper, for sure).

After reading all the nice things you all had to say about the Mustard Monster, I really had my heart set on one, but it just wasn't in the budget at this time. I think the Mayo Monster ;) is a good compromise.

I'm looking forward to turning some larger bowls than I could on the Mini. I'd just recently turned my first on the Mini, and was pretty pleased with the results.

It's made from Genkgo, finished with Watco Danish Oil and buffed. I've included one of my cigar pens for scale.

Thanks for listening to my gloat, and looking at my bowl.

Regards,

Danny

PS

Forgot to mention that I did take the advice of some of you here, and got the lathe from ToolNut. They did me a great deal, and they're a real pleasure to do business with. I'll add my recommendation to anyone looking to buy a new tool to check them out.

Mike Vickery
08-07-2007, 6:13 PM
Nice looking piece. I had my heart set on mustard but was going to settle for Mayo just like you. I have heard very good thing about the machine and am sure you will be pleased.

Jerry Pittman
08-07-2007, 7:06 PM
Danny,
Welcome to SMC from another woodworker/turner in Plainfield, IL. Those are some nice looking pieces.
Jerry

Tony De Masi
08-07-2007, 7:40 PM
Congrats Danny on the lathe and the two fine products you made. And let me add my welcome to the Creek.

Tony

Mike A. Smith
08-07-2007, 8:28 PM
Congratulations Danny, on the lathe, the bowl, the pen and especially the wife!

Danny Yarbrough
08-07-2007, 9:23 PM
it seems I have the "GFI" problem I've read about. every outlet in the basement seems to be on one of two GFIs. <sigh>

Guess I'd better go back and re-read those threads and figure out what to do next.

Thanks for all the supportive posts, guys!

Danny

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Congrats on the lathe and that is a mighty fine looking bowl and pen.

George Guadiane
08-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Very nice, well done.
Keep up the good work.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Nice projects Danny and congrats on the wife and the new lathe!

25 years ago I moved from Joliet to Lewiston Idaho. I used to get off the Plainfield Rd. exit and turn east. I lived on Waverly Place just short of 5 corners in Joliet. I used to drive through Plainfield regularly going to work at Copely Mem. Hospital.

Neal Addy
08-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Really nice bowl and GREAT gloat! You're gonna love that Jet. Can't wait to see what comes off of it once you git 'er up and running.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2007, 9:26 AM
Danny - Welcome to the Creek!

Congrats on your new lathe! You will love it! Make sure you post a couple of photos once you have it up and running!

Like your turnings - looking forward to seeing your next ones!

Danny Yarbrough
09-11-2007, 7:42 PM
...and I finally got around to taking some pictures of the new lathe. I'm really enjoying the electronic variable speed, and the size. I can really get up close to the ways with the open space underneath. I have a Jet Mini that's mounted on a rolling cabinet, and I lean over a bit when turning.

In these shots I'm using a Beall spindle tap to make a glue block; using a shop-made tap wrench based on a plan on the Beall site (http://www.bealltool.com/pdfs/tapandcrank.pdf). Boy that sure is handier that using an open-end wrench or a crescent wrench.

Also made a tool tray to sit on top of the headstock, to hold chuck keys, tommy bars, the indexing pin, and other stuff.

Now, to find some time to turn something to show off :)

Danny

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 7:48 PM
Danny,

First, another welcome to the Creek. Wade right in, the water's fine, and the tadpoles don't bite (not sure about the bullfrogs, though).

Second, congrats on the new lathe. Now are you going to abandon your mini?:( Poor babies--minis seem to get abandoned a lot.

Third, what did you do to deserve such a nice spouse who would finance your abysseration? You sure are lucky.

Fourth, I love the bowl and the pen. I really like that slanted rim treatment--I did one recently similarly. And what pen kit is that?

Nancy (101 days)

Danny Yarbrough
09-11-2007, 9:15 PM
Danny,

First, another welcome to the Creek. Wade right in, the water's fine, and the tadpoles don't bite (not sure about the bullfrogs, though).

Second, congrats on the new lathe. Now are you going to abandon your mini?:( Poor babies--minis seem to get abandoned a lot.

Third, what did you do to deserve such a nice spouse who would finance your abysseration? You sure are lucky.

Fourth, I love the bowl and the pen. I really like that slanted rim treatment--I did one recently similarly. And what pen kit is that?

Nancy (101 days)

Thanks, Nancy.

I plan to keep the Mini, the Mrs. has some aspirations toward turning (someday ... right now she's concentrating on chip carving and scroll sawing).

I am indeed lucky :D

The pen is a cigar pen; I think the kit was the Berea kit; ordered a bunch from Arizona Silhouette a few years back.

Thanks again for the comments!

Danny

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 9:24 PM
I plan to keep the Mini, the Mrs. has some aspirations toward turning (someday ... right now she's concentrating on chip carving and scroll sawing).

The pen is a cigar pen; I think the kit was the Berea kit; ordered a bunch from Arizona Silhouette a few years back.

Thanks again for the comments!

Danny

Well, you just need to tell her to pick up a turning tool and go at it! I've been turning only about a year and I love it! She'll abandon the scroll saw--I sure did!

I'm gonna have to try one of those kits. My go-to kit right now is the American flat-top double-twist; I also like that kit for the gel pen. They are selling very well for me.

Nancy (101 days)

Shane Whitlock
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Great looking lathe ... I got the same one and love it.

Great job on the bowl and pen!

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

TYLER WOOD
09-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Sounds like she really is a keeper. I have a hard time getting mine to venture into the garage to even look at a piece I have turned. Guess f I cleaned the 3' depp chips it would be easier for her?!?!

Frank Kobilsek
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Danny

Don't be disappointed settingly for Miracle Whip 1642. I've been turning on mine since August of 2004. Its a great machine. I too lust for Mustard. My work puts me in contact with people from WHM (Jet/Powermatic) a couple times a year. Half of my freinds there try to goat me into moving up but one especially good friend there claims he'll call my wife and tell her I can do everything on the 1642 and I don't need the 2436.

About the only good Bar-b-que place I can find in Illinois is Fat Terry's over your way. If you drive me out a slab of ribs and some brisket I'll give you a free lesson and some free wood! I'm only an hour west!

Frank

Ernie Nyvall
09-12-2007, 6:38 PM
Welcome Danny and congrats on the ne lathe. Nice looking bowl and pen you got there. Who did it?:D Say, I know what scroll sawing is... what is chip carving?:confused:

Danny Yarbrough
09-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome Danny and congrats on the ne lathe. Nice looking bowl and pen you got there. Who did it?:D Say, I know what scroll sawing is... what is chip carving?:confused:

Ernie,

Chip carving is carving patterns in a flat board (usually) by removing a "chip" of wood.... triangular chips, curved chips, etc. With just a few basic cuts you can do some really intricate stuff.

Wayne Barton is a master at the craft.... even his kitchen cabinet doors are chip carved! Check out his web site for some examples.

http://www.chipcarving.com/

Danny