PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Availability

Joe Pelonio
08-07-2007, 3:15 PM
I just got back from a delivery/material pickup run, and stopped at Rockler. This may be Seattle only (Stone Way) but they have a sale on veneer. Bundles for $6.99 regularly $19.99.

I bought two bundles,

Mozambique 7"x15" 14 sheets

Tulip 4.75"x18" 9 sheets

The thicknesses varied, the ones I got were 1/32.

I'm new to inlay work and have not bought veneer before, is this a good deal?

They had many more, some much more exotic woods for the same price so and the sale price is good "until they are gone" but I wanted to check on it before spending more money.

Mike Null
08-07-2007, 3:33 PM
Joe

I think that's a great deal. I've paid more for a single sheet of birdseye maple.

Nancy Laird
08-07-2007, 3:37 PM
Wish we had a Rockler here - closest one is in Phoenix--which is too far to run over and check. Sounds like good prices, though, considering what the individual sheets are listed for on the website.

Nancy (136 days)

Joe Pelonio
08-07-2007, 3:45 PM
Joe

I think that's a great deal. I've paid more for a single sheet of birdseye maple.
They had birdseye among the other selections. I don't know if they would take a credit card and ship but here's the number of the Seattle store:
206-634-3222

It sounds like I should try to get back there later in the week. Most of them were nice and flat which I like for the laser, a few were thinner and warpy.

Mike Null
08-07-2007, 5:24 PM
Thanks Joe. I'll check out my local guy. I just play with it so I don't need much.

Bruce Volden
08-07-2007, 7:42 PM
I just got back from a delivery/material pickup run, and stopped at Rockler. This may be Seattle only (Stone Way) but they have a sale on veneer. Bundles for $6.99 regularly $19.99.

I bought two bundles,

Mozambique 7"x15" 14 sheets

Tulip 4.75"x18" 9 sheets

The thicknesses varied, the ones I got were 1/32.

I'm new to inlay work and have not bought veneer before, is this a good deal?

They had many more, some much more exotic woods for the same price so and the sale price is good "until they are gone" but I wanted to check on it before spending more money.

OH NO Joe!!!

You're entering the dark side!!:D You will have a great deal of FUN and will come up with some beautiful stuff!!!

Bruce

Carol VanArnam
08-07-2007, 9:22 PM
thanks Joe I have to make a run to Rockler on this Friday. I'll take a look.....

Mike Null
08-25-2007, 8:02 AM
I just got around to visiting my local Rockler and they were offering the same thing at $6.99 a pack. They had a fair selection, mostly light colored woods.

Jim Good
08-25-2007, 9:39 PM
Are these veneers too thin for bookmarks? Will they curl or warp?

Thanks!

Jim

Joe Pelonio
08-25-2007, 9:41 PM
Depends on the species. Some are too easily broken, some too thin, others should be fine. I don't know what they'd have left though by now.

Mike Null
08-25-2007, 9:53 PM
Jim

I'm guessing that these are 1/64". I haven't opened the packages but my guess is that they may be too fragile.

On the plus side they are perfectly flat and the quarter sawn oak and birdseye maple that I bought may be sturdy enough.

Jim Good
08-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Mike, 1/64th sounds too thin. I just thought that might be another application besides inlay. I'm guessing you are right that they are too fragile. Thanks Joe and Mike for the quick response.

I was just sitting here watching the Braves get beat by those Cardinals. Mike, I'm guessing that makes you happy! :D

Thanks again.

Jim

Joe Pelonio
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Some of the ones I got were 1/32.

I'm switching back and forth between the Mariners and Seehawks games. Hard on the remote when they both play at the same time, and I pop online at commercials.

Leigh Costello
08-25-2007, 11:04 PM
I picked up some veneer at an estate sale today for a buck - approx. 30 sq. ft. Looks to be about 1/16" thick. See the off topic forum.

BTW, I am so glad the Cardinals won tonight. ;)

Mike Null
08-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Jim

As a transplanted Buckeye I was a long time Reds fan but I don't watch too much baseball anymore. I can't relate to their money.

I can't relate to the football money either but I watch a lot.

But tomorrow I'll root for Warner Robins in the Little League World Series.