PDA

View Full Version : Saw sharpening experiment was a failure

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 8:46 AM
Well, I tried and it didn't work.

I had some lower-end blades (Diablo) that I had beaten like rented mules. One was a 40-tooth general purpose and the other a 24-tooth ripper.

I wondered whether I could "bring 'em back" with my own sharpening jig and a diamond plate.

The jig works GREAT, holding everything in perfect alignment to allow me to sharpen the carbide. But getting a decent finish on the carbide using a corse and then fine diamond card-sized plate is problematic. It is really impossible to achieve anywhere near a factory/sharpening service finish using these plates. You need something much finer which would require too much elbow grease.

In the end I was able to make them usable beaters but nothing better. Really not worth the time.

So if the idea ever occurs to you, just skip it.

Roger Newby
08-07-2007, 9:41 AM
Hello,

I just joined this forum yesterday, so might as well sound off.

I'm fortunate to have a retired guy living a block away who'll sharped saw blades for 20 cents a tooth and if they don't cut to suit, he'll do them over.
His son is also in the same business so all I have to worry about is price increases. Haven't had any problems in the five years or so that I've done business with him.
Roger
Syracuse, Nebraska

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Hello,

I just joined this forum yesterday, so might as well sound off.

I'm fortunate to have a retired guy living a block away who'll sharped saw blades for 20 cents a tooth and if they don't cut to suit, he'll do them over.
His son is also in the same business so all I have to worry about is price increases. Haven't had any problems in the five years or so that I've done business with him.
Roger
Syracuse, Nebraska

Well first of all, welcome to the creek.

What led me into this experiment first was the thought that, if I could do a little sharpening on the blades maybe once a month, I may never have to get them sharpened. That is, never let them get really dull and I'll just keep using them.

I'm mostly a weekend woodworker. I can use a blade about six months before it needs sharpening. So I typically use them about nine months, and then they really need sharpening. ;)

So if you break it down by month, I'd say I can sharpen a blade back to about three or four months of use, but no better. And that isn't good enough to waste time on it.

It was a fun experiment, though.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Get yourself one of those carbide ceramic tile blades. Mount it in your skillsaw and on a rig sort of like you have and let 'er rip. You will be amazed. Use water mist coolant.

It's not like Forrest or Ridge but it's definitely worth doing to get more use from a cheap blade.

Scott Whiting
08-07-2007, 4:59 PM
I think my stock just went up ;) :D

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 5:24 PM

I expected you to have something to say. :rolleyes:

Don Selke
08-07-2007, 7:25 PM
I would never try to sharpen a carbide saw blade, I recommend that you use a professional who has the tools and the knowledge for that Job. Most professional sharpening service technicians will inspect the carbide teeth prior to sharpening and will also check the blade balance as well.

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I recommend that you use a professional who has the tools and the knowledge for that Job.

By those standards I shouldn't be doing woodworking, either. :rolleyes:

I can't explain what motivates me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm not giving up, though. :D

Jim Nardi
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
They only grind them to 600 grit. I've touched up quite a few blades with a 600 grit diamond hone. I think not letting them get to completely dull state is the trick. Prefinshed hardwood flooring kills blades quick and those diablo are my favourite.

Don Selke
08-08-2007, 1:01 AM
By those standards I shouldn't be doing woodworking, either. :rolleyes:

Sharpening carbide tools is quite different then woodworking in my opinion,
But good luck with your project. I hope you acheive the success you are looking for.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2007, 9:44 AM
I would never try to sharpen a carbide saw blade,

If the blade is a throwaway blade why not give it a try?
What is the worst that could happen?

I recommend that you use a professional who has the tools and the knowledge for that Job. Most professional sharpening service technicians will inspect the carbide teeth prior to sharpening and will also check the blade balance as well.

Never ever let a professional near your tools - at all ever - under any circumstances~!! Professionals are entirely unprepared for important things like fixing cars, erecting buildings, or sharpening tools etc. Rather you want a real bona fide tradesman. Tradesmen, engineers, accountants etc., have all undertaken the effort to learn to do what they do and the market place forces them to become good at what they do.

Professionals on the other hand are just people who have given themselves over to some higher cause like the law or medicine etc. Professionals don't have to be any good at anything.

Tradesmen, engineers, and other avocational experts have inherent dignity in what they do because every time they take up their tools they bring order to an otherwise chaotic world. Professionals can't make any such general claim.

Peter Gavin
08-08-2007, 3:33 PM
Cliff,

Could you run that by me again in a little simpler language? I seem to be missing something.

Thanks

Peter

Roger Newby
08-08-2007, 7:11 PM
I think what Cliff is saying is give the work to someone who knows what they are doing from experience, not someone who has read a book about it.
Roger

Kendall Landry
08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I think what Cliff is saying is give the work to someone who knows what they are doing from experience, not someone who has read a book about it.
Roger

Here Here !!

scott spencer
08-09-2007, 5:49 AM

Scott, are there any houses near you for sale? :D