PDA

View Full Version : 10 1/4 Ln

Jerry Thompson
08-06-2007, 7:56 PM
Out of the clear blue my spouse gave me a LN 10 1/4 Rabbet plane. Getting the blade out is a trick. After honing it putting it back in without hitting the edge will take some practice. It seems one can use it as a jack plane also. I sure I will find more uses for it as time goes by and wonder how I got along with out it.
I wonder it if left pics of a jointer lying about if something more might turn up. That was how the 10 1/4 appeared. I had the catalog open to that page and just menioned how it worked.
I'll keep you posted.
Jerry

Andrew Homan
08-06-2007, 8:01 PM
[SIZE=4] It seems one can use it as a jack plane also.

A jack plane would require a cambered blade. To use the 10 1/4 as a rabbeting plane will require that the bevel remain dead straight. So, I hope that you won't use it as a jack plane! It will be useful for a number of tasks, however. I'd like to use one to make raised panels! Have fun with it and good luck getting the jointer!
-Andy

Mike K Wenzloff
08-06-2007, 8:20 PM
As well as Andy's mention of the cambered, non-cambered issue, the rebating planes like yours can flex too much in use on surfaces--works in a pinch, but not meant for long term use as a surface plane.

So lay those pictures about--or contact someone like Walt Q (a member here) for getting a couple nice vintage planes in the mean time.

Take care, Mike

Michael Schwartz
08-06-2007, 9:57 PM
rabbeting jacks are great for timberframing where you need to work on large tennons. Without them you can plane up to the shoulder pretty close with a jack, and then work it with a framing chissle, but you can just plane the whole tennon. The LN might be a bit nice for this kind of work but it s a great use for them.

Mabey you should pick up an 1-1/2 and 2" framing chisel, framing square, a "Big Al" (a tool you probably have never heard of) and timber frame a shed or pergola or something.

Ken Werner
08-06-2007, 9:58 PM
Nice gloat about your spouse. Plane sounds good too.

Clint Jones
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
No pictures didnt happen ;)