PDA

View Full Version : Karate Belt Rack

Pete Simmons
08-06-2007, 1:53 PM
Making a Belt Rack for a series of Karate belts.

Just a 15 inch wide small shelf system. Each shelf about 2 inches high.

Question is

The Top

Looking for ideas for the top piece. 15 inches wide by about 6 inches tall.

Some kinda double curve for the top. It will have a name and a logo on it.

Any ideas for the shape??

Dave Sinkus
08-06-2007, 2:06 PM
Some curves to the wood and router, etch, or carve some lines to make the appearance of the belt knot?

Just my $.02

Nancy Laird
08-06-2007, 3:38 PM
Pete, we made medal plaques for a local soccer league (12-year-olds), and didn't put a shelf, we put in maple Shaker pegs for hanging the medals from. We found a great graphic of a soccer ball with markings that made it look like a ball in flight, and lasered it and the names on the plaque. Just a plain plaque, but they went over very well. I'll be able to post a picture tonight. If you have access to a laser, there are all sorts of pictures and graphics available.

Nancy (137 days)

Pete Simmons
08-06-2007, 5:05 PM
I have a laser Mini-18 35 w.

I am OK with the graphics. But I might be interested in any great Karate stuff.

What I am looking for is the shape of the wood top.

Kinda like the curved top of a tall dresser. Just looking for ideas to make it look good.

Attached a simple picture. Belt holder shelfs are really just a thin flat piece of wood. They use small ties to hold the belts on.

The shape of the top is what I am looking for.

Any ideas to make it look great. I know the one pictured is not smooth. Just did a quick one to get the idea going.

Stephen Beckham
08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I googled Karate Shrine Images - this is one of the first things that popped up that I thought might be pretty cool. You also have an Artistic Media Pen that will enscribe Japanese Lettering in X3 - not sure about other versions.

Steve

Bill Cunningham
08-07-2007, 9:53 PM
Long before I got my laser, I built a wall mount for a Katana which had a similar curve in the back board. I used my rotary engraver to engrave a dragon into the center of the arch.. It looks good, even though I did engrave it too deep.. It now hangs over my fireplace holding a Marto Dragon Head Katana (The Highlander Duncan Mcleod Katana).A Christmas gift from my wife..

Bill Cunningham
08-08-2007, 8:27 PM
dug out the old photos.. The dragon was done a bit too deep, but it holds the Katana nicely..

Pete Simmons
08-12-2007, 9:13 AM
Thanks Stephen - You sparked the idea that got me going in the direction of the Karate Temple.

The idea is it holds 11 Karate Belts on the cross pieces with clips.

Some design short cuts were made to enable using inexpensive wood that was on hand, but I think they will like it.

The name is inlayed Padauk into the Oak backing.

Stephen Beckham
08-12-2007, 5:36 PM
Sweet! I'm sure they'll love it and eventually ask for another.

You could even make a smaller model that you could up-sell to the members of the Do-Jo that would hold only one or two belts for individual use versus whole Do-Jo use. Then they could have a matching belt-rack at home.

Maybe even offer it to the owner to purchase so that he can award the single belt holder to his highest achievers...

Thinking out loud - take care...
Steve