PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Base Question

Raymond Fries
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Has anyone ever built a base with shelves and drawers around the steel base that Woodpeckers offers for their router table tops?

I need to get a base now but would like to build my own. I just do not have the time right now to devote to that project. I thought the idea above might be a bridge to a future solution and not throw away $150 now to solve a short term problem.

glenn bradley
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Haven't done it but don't see why you couldn't. You would have to account for the nuts or bolt heads depending on whether you mounted your panels inside or outside the angle iron.

If you need something quick, you could put together a 2x4 stand that would be solid and add wheels at one end "wheelbarrow" style for mobility. This would come in way under your $150 and save that cash for materials and hardware for your future cabinet(?). Just an idea.

Larry Rasmussen
08-06-2007, 8:19 PM
I don't have time to go look but think the lay out picture includes one made into a cabinet, check the Rockler site. I have just put a router table on a metal base. I made the dust collection box underneath go from cabinet floor up to the table bottom so don't have much room. I figured that it would hold the bottom of the table up instead of contributing to potential sag if I just hung a box. I do have some shelves layed out for 3 sides in the leftover space and I am just having to use some 2X blocking to shim out past the L angle iron legs. I have two of the Rockler tables and they are handy enough. You may find that you build your router table separately and keep the metal frame for the next new tool or temp tool table. I have one taller and one shorter, really recommend buying the shorter height and bringing it up to where you need it.
Larry

Larry Rasmussen
08-06-2007, 8:29 PM
Hopefully I'm posting the picture I was referring to in the previous post.

Raymond Fries
08-07-2007, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the tip Larry. I am looking to do something like this to serve short term and long term needs.

Never enough hours to do it all I guess.

I would really like to find a base that already had bit storage, doors, etc. but it seems that there are just not any out there for the 27 x 43 top for the Incra.

Something will work...

Mike Heidrick
08-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Just a post to get you some ideas on how to build out a table design in stages.

I saw the metal tool boxes on the Grizzly site and really liked them. I wanted to make my own router table out of some steel racking I had and I used a Woodpecker 32"X53" top. Here is what I came up with. I know you want to make one out of wood but a toolbox would work until then. I have since added a 32"X24"cast iron top to the right side of the table where the blank space is (because it was a free CI piece a friend gave me) and have used a riser stand (old 4-leg monitor stand) on it to elevate my lunch box planer. This stand allows the Incra fence to slide under it but still allows that space to be used for the planer. I also can remove the planer/stand assembly and use the CI table setup as an out feed support for the saw.

Here is the design I made (http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/routerstop1.jpg)

Raymond Fries
08-08-2007, 5:36 PM
I have not thought about steel toolboxes and that is a great idea. I was actually at a Menards last night looking at cabinet bases, kitchen and vanity, as a possible start to build on. I decided they were not stable enough.

I'll sure look into this alternative.

Thanks for sharing.

Kim Spence
08-08-2007, 6:05 PM
I have enclosed three of the Rockler steel stands. I used MDF for the back and sides, and built a face frame to mount to the front. Building a face frame makes it simple to design whatever combination of drawers/cabinets you need. Then just build overlay drawers & boxes, and cabinet doors to fit the face frame, and install the drawers with common drawer slides.

I cut 45's on the top corners of the back, sides, and front face frame to clear the frame's bolts, and mounted them inside with screws driven from the outside.

These end up being VERY HEAVY and STABLE. I built one to use as an table saw outfeed table. Its the 24" x 48" stand, enclosed with 8 drawers and a top made of a double layer of MDF wrapped with hard maple edging. Full of tools I would guess this thing weighs in the neighborhood of 300 to 400 lbs.

Another one holds a Performax 10-20 drum sander and has 4 drawers. The 3rd one is for a double router table and has a dust collection cabinet and a couple of drawers. All were built the same way.

If you're interested in seeing Pics, let me know and I'll snap some tonight when I get home.

Hope this helps.

K. Spence

Mike Heidrick
08-08-2007, 6:50 PM
Ray, Do you have a Sams club near you. Our store has this workbench topped cabinet with drawers/cabinets built underneath it. It has a steel frame and would easily accomodate an Incra fence. All you would have to do is cut out for the router plate and attach the fence. Might be worth a look.