PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Good Morning,
6 Aug 2007

It's hot here and the air is so thick you could slice it with a knife. Heat Index is supposed to be about 103º today and I'm just going to stay inside as much as possible.

No woodworking for me, but I did play bass at church Sunday and spent the entire weekend with the family. I haven't even been inside my shop in almost a month now. Priorities do shift in our lives from time to time....mine had to be shifted to non-woodworking and non-work related priorities.

I hope each of you have a blessed and wonderful week.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Tyler Howell
08-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Nice weekend Had a date with an old friend, dinner, drive through the park. perfect weather, Stop for a great concert at one of the lakes.
Got some of my punch list knocked down for the move.
Washed 3 weeks of clothes:o
A lot of corded tool time replacing trailer sky light.
Have a safe week.
Resisted the temptation to galk at our local disaster.
Best veiwing was on the tube.

glenn bradley
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I went to visit mom and dad. Picked up a clamp order that dad and I split. Worked on a design for dad's BS stand. Took them out to dinner. All that 'good son' stuff.

Justin McCurdy
08-06-2007, 1:01 PM
I was able to get some cleaning done in the shop. Our whole family watched a friend's kid while they were at a wedding on Saturday. Took the truck in for a third time and finally found out that the U-joint needed replaced, after a new set of tires and new shocks. On Sunday, my FIL and BIL-to-be came over. We were able to pick up the wood for, cut out, and construct half of 2 toy boxes for a couple of new additions to the family in about 3 hours. My FIL told me it normally takes him one entire day just to do 1. I am gald we could help him out as he was pretty well behind on making one for each grand kid. On a side note, I talked him into going with the Borg domestic ply over the Chinese crap. It wasn't that difficult after showing him the uneven layers and the bow in the top 15 sheets on the stack. I cannot understand how they could even sell that stuff. Aw well, they came out great. All of the angle cuts were actually do-able on my SCMS which saved a ton of setup time.

Jim Becker
08-06-2007, 1:06 PM
Nada...shop time, that is. Too much going on to prepare for some business responsibilities. Maybe next weekend... ;)

Steven Wilson
08-06-2007, 1:19 PM
Applied a couple of coats of finish on a clock kit. Spent some time aligning the slider and small crosscut fence. Worked out the design for a miter fence to use on the slider and a fence system for the mortiser (need some more Incra stuff). Made panel to cover up an access hole in a closet to get at the shower plumbing (mitered corners, frame and panel, cut the molding on the shaper). Worked with my dealer to get a new truck. Took the kids to get autographs from Matt Guerrier (Twins pitcher).

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 1:44 PM
Almost 0 shop time. I started sanding the doors and drawer front and the power went out after the 80 grit pass on about 2 doors. Power company said 5 hours for restoration so I took LOML jr to the county fair where we ended up at the Monster Truck Show. Turns out I have a monster truck fan on my hands as she loved it. Saturday my dad, she and I went to an antique race car event about an hour and half away. We stayed about an hour until one of the guys took out a bunch of fence and rolled his car. He was basically OK, but they were taking him to the hospital so there was going to be a significant delay and we headed home. Got in another hour of sanding before LOML came home and said she wanted to go back to the fair again to take LOML jr to the Combine Demolition Derby (regulary redneck weekend :D) Sunday was church, housework, and then visiting family.

Fred Voorhees
08-06-2007, 3:50 PM
No shop time whatsoever this weekend. It was probably pretty hot up there anyhow. Spent the weekend at the shore, visiting my Mother and youngest brother. Mostly just hung out and did do a little salt and fresh water fishing with the bro. Managed to haul in about a dozen sand sharks on the salt water side of the ledger. Hot as the dickens on the beach, but LOML wanted to lay on the beach, so bro and I obliged, BUT, brought along our poles.

Nancy Laird
08-06-2007, 3:51 PM
Friday turned out a couple of laser orders and - GLOAT - finalized the contract with the NM State Fair for the award plaques for the parade. Still have two more divisions to get their award lists, then we start burning and painting.

Saturday, worked on some new polymer material to see if it would turn (not easily - it's harder than OO or ebony) and laser (very well), perhaps to make some pens for a company (thanks, again, Keith, for that referral). Still up in the air, but looking pretty good.

Sunday, turned a few pens, did some more lasering--found out I could laser acrylic pens with little trouble--chucked up a chunk of cherry and - TA-DA!!! - got the outside of a small bowl roughed out, sanded, and finished. It will get put into the One-Way tonight to have the interior hogged out and we'll see how long it takes to get it finished. So far it's looking pretty good--if I don't blow it up. I may have another one to show off by the end of the week.

Have a good week, everyone!!

Nancy (137 days)

Don Bullock
08-06-2007, 4:05 PM
No "shop" time for me either. We spend ann day Saturday and Sunday either at the dog shows or driving (at least 10 of driving):eek: to and from them. Our girl did get Best of Breed both days, so all that driving was worth it this time.:D

Scot Ferraro
08-06-2007, 5:07 PM
I worked on my Kitchen cabinets -- managed to screw up one of the doors so next weekend I get to remake it:( Ah well...part of the process, I guess....

Scot

Jim O'Dell
08-06-2007, 5:34 PM
Took a vacation day Friday, drove all over Ft. Worth looking for laminate and the last 6-6-4 wye. Came home with the laminate. Worked in the shop finishing up prep on the torsion box tops for the multi-use station, and got the laminate on and 2 coats of poly on the raw wood sides. Need to work on the fence part of the cabinets next, then the top cap.
Celebrated 30 years with my wife on Sunday. If you add in the time we dated, it's been more like 34! But doens't feel like a day over 5! And I'm dragging today at work. Jim.

Brent Dowell
08-06-2007, 7:30 PM
Did some work on my Router Table base cabinet, but needed a few things, so went to the toy stores (WC, HF, Lowes).

Needed to put the longer rails on my grizz, had em for years. Realized that the mobile base with 2 fixed casters in back and the long rails made moving the saw impossible, so swapped those out with some swivel casters.

Then figured I needed to fill in the area between the rails, so made a double layer of ply with a laminate top to go between. Just finished it up as a matter of fact. Now I have to go clean the shop and work on the router table.

Wonder when I'll ever get done making things for the shop so I can make things for the house?

John Shuk
08-06-2007, 7:37 PM
We threw a pool birthday party for my 6 year old Saturday. 24 young kids swimming and sliding along with many parents in the water. Lots of fun there. Another birthday party to attend Sunday with two of my boys followed by a bout of back spasms for me that pretty much laid me out. I got to watch the 3 boys Sunday night while my wife went to see The Police (the rock band) at Giants stadium. Shop time ....none. A decent weekend nonetheless back pain aside.

Roger Myers
08-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Last weekend marked the opening of the League of NH Craftsmens Fair at Sunapee NH. Each year our Guild is a guest of the league and working out of a rather large tent right by the entrance, we conduct a variety of demonstrations including woodturning, carving, and general woodworking. It's also one of our big scholarship fund fundraisers and we have several people manning ticket sales and talking to people about The Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers. We set up on Friday and the fair opened Saturday and runs through Sunday of the following weekend (August 12th).
This is a terrific fair, all juried craftsmen in a wide variety of crafts, and draws a very large crowd. Weather for opening weekend was perfect and we set a record on raffle tickets on Saturday, only to beat it on Sunday!
The observant may notice our own hand tool guru and moderator Dave Anderson busy :rolleyes: at the raffle tables :D

Long days, but fun and rewarding!

Roger

Dan Muller
08-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Sweltering hot here in southeast MI, too. Played "junior excavator" with our old tractor's grafted-on loader bucket, regrading an area along a property line with a "difficult" neighbor. Really wasn't looking forward to this work, but I lucked out, they were away camping so they didn't come and quibble about the line. (It was surveyed and marked recently, but that wouldn't have stopped them.) Then spent the rest of the weekend putting up a welded wire mesh fence along said line -- we're hoping to get some sheep on the property soon.

The fence posts were all metal, and the necessary tree removal had already been done, so no woodworking. :rolleyes:

Al Willits
08-07-2007, 9:16 AM
Sat had to work, and after that we got the boat ready for Sunday and grilled supper, pretty laid back day, evening was sitting in front of the portable fire pit and trying to burn some of the branch's that came off the two dieing tree's in the back yard.

Sunday was fishing till about 1:00 then headed for home to not have all the fish we didn't catch, went out to eat Mexican and just took it easy for a bit, evening had me finally completing the Shark Guard installation and griding out some of the insert so it all fit, nice set up, works well and comes off and on easily.

Still have the storage cabinet from heck sitting on my torsion table,and haven't got the brick molding installed on the window I just put in, so I know what I'll be doing next weekend..

No cleaning done this weekend...I may need a support goup soon...:eek:

Al