PDA

View Full Version : Nardelli to destroy Chrysler next

Phil Thien
08-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Looks like Robert Nardelli (booted from Home Depot) will now be running (ruining) Chrysler.

Kyle Kraft
08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I think I saw that guy on the news this morning, and I actually thought it was an interview with Bob Newhart!! Why is it that companies don't check a fellers track record before they bring them on board? Do they just have a soft spot in their heart and think that maybe the guy simply had a bad run and needs another opportunity to really shine?

David G Baker
08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Kyle,
I think the word is "cronyism" or "good old boy network"
I worked for a major television network for years, you would not believe the inside things that went on at the shareholders expense. Eventually a rat purchased the network and it got worse. The CEO owned the board of directors.

Greg Peterson
08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
At first I was surprised to see this report. Then I came to my senses.

Nardelli travels in exclusive circles. Their numbers are relatively small, but it is a network for sure. The terminology of Class Warfare rubs some folks the wrong way, so I'll just call it 'the good ol' boy network'.

These guys all know each other or know of each other. The degree of separation is usually no more than an acquittance or two. Or they went to Princeton rather than Yale.

Ivy League is simply code for Good Ol' boy Network. 21st century Blue Bloods.

Steven Wilson
08-06-2007, 1:23 PM
He'll make sure that himself, some executives, the politicians he bribes, and the board are treated well. Customers? Employees? Shareholders? The community? The country? Who cares, they don't matter, they don't count.

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 1:31 PM
I don't think he'll get to take all the credit. Daimler has done a pretty good job of getting the ball rolling.

Greg Peterson
08-06-2007, 1:37 PM
Nardelli will draw a salary of $1 / year. The article I read indicated that his compensation package had not been made available yet, but that it would be based on the performance of Chrysler Corp.

I'm guessing he'll go for the quick buck. High profit product, low quality. Marketing and ad departments will probably see a boost in their budgets.

Take the money and run is the new American way.

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 1:47 PM
What I'm really looking forward to is labor relations. He's used to cutting back people on a whim and paying them poorly. No way the UAW is going to go for that.

Greg Peterson
08-06-2007, 4:10 PM
UAW doesn't enter into the big picture. Back in July Chrysler signed up with Chery (China's largest auto manufacturer) to produce cars for export to the US and other markets.

Not sure what Chrysler has up their sleeves, but going with Chery could be the ticket. BMW is also involved in a joint venture with Chery.

Interesting times.

Jim Becker
08-06-2007, 5:04 PM
The Chery deal only involves a limited number of vehicles. It will not be all that material to Chrysler's financial health, at least in the short term. Interestingly enough, when I was in Shanghai a couple weeks ago, the two nameplates that were most in evidence were VW (the first foreign car brand to manufacture there) and Buick. These two were dominating the roads...

Greg Peterson
08-06-2007, 5:39 PM
I'd equate the Chrysler deal with Chery as testing the waters. Chery could eventually bring their own product into the US, and perhaps that is still their intent. Meanwhile, they are getting some good experience building vehicles for others.

WSJ did a report several years ago on labor rates by nation. Germany was highest with US second or third. China was near the bottom. I don't recall the exact figures, but I do recall the ratio was about 25 to 1. Pretty difficult to compete with a workforce that works for practically nothing.

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 5:41 PM
They were probably counterfeit :rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-06-2007, 5:50 PM
Looks like Robert Nardelli (booted from Home Depot) will now be running (ruining) Chrysler.

Now now now. Different people make better - or worse - top level managers depending one the nature of the business. Nardelli may be better in a factory.

Besides, how can you ruin Chrysler? They ruined themselves already by refusing to produce good cars.

IMNSHO Ford's truck line may well be the last gasp of American auto unless those bozos get off their rear ends and think.

Why they won't and can't put out a line of cars on the road that can go head to head with BMW or Mercedes Benz is beyond me. Ford bought Volvo and ruined it. It's like a disease their brains all caught that won't let them think beyond 1955.

Dan McGuire
08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I spent 15 years with the company both as a represented employee (3 years) and the rest of the time in management. I left three years ago when I got tired of playing the game and saw the writing on the wall, which spelled to me that the American auto industry is going to change drastically in the next decade. Under the current collective barganing agreements, there is no way any of the American companies can stay profitable and expand the business to compete in the world market. To say the Chrysler and the American Auto nevers learns from its mistake is an understatement. When times are good they are doling out the cash living fat dumb and happy, giving away the shop to the union just going along to get along. When times get tight they (upper management) say we have to "tighten the belt", "knuckle down" to get profitable. So they so put in place whatever sales incentives or cost measures necessary to make the next quarterly statement look good for wall street then wonder why the next quarter looks so bad.

To think I soley blame the union for the crisis is a wrong assumption, I truly believe that in collective barganing that either side can ask for whatever they want. I place a lot of blame on the labor relations department for agreeing to the absurd stuff asked for. (going along to get along)

Now that I see the guy from the BORG is going to run the show, I truly have no regets leaving that debacle behind. I still have a soft spot in my heart for MOPAR, and would hate to see it run to the ground but I ain't holding my breath either.

Dan
Still driving a RAM hoping the tranny holds:D

Pat Germain
08-06-2007, 11:04 PM
^^ Very good points, Dan.

Nardelli will have to pull a gigantic rabbit out of a very small hat to turn Chrysler around. There's plenty of blame to go around, with the unions and managment high on the list, but you can't blame the Japanese or the American consumer. Buying a vehicle from the Big Three, I mean the former big three, just to support unions is absurd if they make a lousy product.

As for UAW, they don't have a leg to stand on. Their members have been laid off by the tens of thousands. Parts of the Detroit area are starting to look like a Mad Max movie.

As for Chery, it's in trouble before it even hit the US or European markets. One of their cars was recently crash tested in Europe and it failed horribly. I saw the video. A fairly large Chery sedan pretty much folded turning the passenger compartment into a trash compactor. Some of their prospective dealers dropped them after those results and the rest are demanding a safer car.

Greg Peterson
08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
"As for Chery, it's in trouble before it even hit the US or European markets. One of their cars was recently crash tested in Europe and it failed horribly."

Yes, I read about this too. Building cars for BMW, VW and now Chrsyler will definitely give the Chery engineers some insight.

It wasn't really all that long ago that Made in Japan was a negative. Chinese manufacturers will improve quality. I would expect Chery will be producing vehicles in the near future that will be on par with whatever is available on the market at that time.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Most of my mother's family members are working for or retired from GM. They got real hostile when I pulled into my aunt's home driving a new Honda Accord that was built in Ohio.

Where were they and why weren't they more sympathetic when I bought a new full sized Chevy Blazer in '83 and went through 4 transmissions and the 5th was on it's way out after only 4 1/2 years and 41,000 miles? I've never lost the transmission in any other car I've owned.

It's really no secret.......fill the customer's needs ....good quality.....reasonable wages......reasonable profits.......reasonable...a word fast becoming lost from the American vocabulary.....JMHO

Mike Null
08-07-2007, 8:15 AM
The quality standard is set by Japan, not Germany. The German cars are great to drive but maintenance wise the trophy goes to Honda and Toyota.

Chuck Wintle
08-07-2007, 8:22 AM
Most of my mother's family members are working for or retired from GM. They got real hostile when I pulled into my aunt's home driving a new Honda Accord that was built in Ohio.

Where were they and why weren't they more sympathetic when I bought a new full sized Chevy Blazer in '83 and went through 4 transmissions and the 5th was on it's way out after only 4 1/2 years and 41,000 miles? I've never lost the transmission in any other car I've owned.

It's really no secret.......fill the customer's needs ....good quality.....reasonable wages......reasonable profits.......reasonable...a word fast becoming lost from the American vocabulary.....JMHO
What Ken said...
So why don't the big three build good cars like the competition? IMHO they have only looked at profits and have completely ignored the customer and Chrysler under Nardelli will be no different.
I remember way back when the Japanese agreed to voluntary import restrictions in order to give the Big 3 a chance to bring to market a small, high quality car people would buy. It never happened. I bought a piece of junk called a Citation and after numerous trips to the garage to fix many many problems I went over to Honda a have never looked back.
I still come back to my original question over and over: Why can't the Big 3 bring out a small car to compete with the Honda Civic, for example?:confused:

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 8:30 AM
To think I soley blame the union for the crisis is a wrong assumption, I truly believe that in collective barganing that either side can ask for whatever they want. I place a lot of blame on the labor relations department for agreeing to the absurd stuff asked for. (going along to get along)

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but I think some of the labor laws need revisiting. The pendulum seems to have swung too far in labor's favor (just a tiny bit).

Also, too many "Making a fast buck 101" classes in business schools/MBA programs.

Incentive programs tied to stock value are WRONG, too. CEO's manipulate results to maximize stock value.

It seems to me that most guys like Nardelli wake up each morning and wonder, "what can I do for Robert Nardelli today?" We need guys that wake up and say, "I'm set for life, so are my kids, what can I do to show everyone that I kick butt at running huge conglomerates?"

As a nation of investors, we also need to be more patient. Instant, giant yields are often a warning sign, not a buy indicator.

While he is not a panacea (and I don't own any Apple products), I sorta think we need more leaders like Steve Jobs and fewer like Nardelli.

Michael Morgan
08-07-2007, 8:57 AM
I heard from someone the other day that Chrysler is offering a lifetime engine and drivetrain warranty. As long as you don't transfer the title the warranty is good for as long as you own the car or truck. I have not confirmed that yet but it sounds like what Dan was saying. Offer some crazy inncentives to make a few bucks in the short term and lose later. If this is true this will also contribute to their demise.

Chuck Wintle
08-07-2007, 8:58 AM
I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but I think some of the labor laws need revisiting. The pendulum seems to have swung too far in labor's favor (just a tiny bit).

As a nation of investors, we also need to be more patient. Instant, giant yields are often a warning sign, not a buy indicator.

While he is not a panacea (and I don't own any Apple products), I sorta think we need more leaders like Steve Jobs and fewer like Nardelli.
Phil,
Did you ever stop to ask yourself why the labor laws were needed in the first place? They came into being to give the poor working stiff a fair break when working for big companies. In the 1930's a worker who got injured on the assembly line was simply fired and replaced. Also firings took place for other reasons too so of course labor had no choice to organize to combat predatory management. This has led to a hostile work environment , management/union that exists to this day. Its a dinosaur of a work arrangement that will someday die taking as victims a whole lot of workers and management structure. And no one has ever taken a lesson from this.

Michael Morgan
08-07-2007, 9:01 AM
I just checked their web site. I guess they are offering a lifetime warranty:eek:
INTRODUCING THE BEST WARRANTY COVERAGE IN THE BUSINESS.

The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty is the first of its kind to be offered by any automaker. Ever. Because with this warranty, you're covered, and it lasts as long as you own your vehicle.

OUR LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY IS THE ICING.

OUR VEHICLES ARE THE CAKE.

The big news is that this powertrain limited warranty applies to the vast majority of our great new Chrysler Vehicles.* If you ever dreamed about cruising around town in the unmistakable Chrysler 300, relax. You won't be left stranded by a short-term powertrain warranty.

THE NEXT STEP IS SIMPLE. GET TO YOUR CHRYSLER DEALER TODAY.

The only difficult decision you have to make is picking which great vehicle you want. For more information, visit your local dealer.

Anthony Anderson
08-07-2007, 9:20 AM
The quality standard is set by Japan, not Germany. The German cars are great to drive but maintenance wise the trophy goes to Honda and Toyota.

Consumer Reports supports your statement Mike. The top Japanese auto makers set the standard for reliability and safety. BMW and Mercedes, for example, are actually not very realiable, and expensive to repair, relative to Japanese models. But some people get caught up in the status symbol. Oh well, a fool and their money.

Jim King
08-07-2007, 9:35 AM
I beleive that with the US being the biggest debtor nation in the world and the monnhly trade deficit bigger than most countries annual GNP the problem is deeper than just Chrysler.

Anthony Anderson
08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
The former Big Three, failed to take the Asian auto makers seriously upon their arrival in the U.S. They turned a blind eye to internal functioning of these companies, and what would, in the long term, make them successful. So successful in fact, that they will eventually put the Big Three in threat of closing their doors in North America. Discussing this problem with my brother in law, I discovered that Asian automakers DO NOT go out and look for a CEO to pad the books, manipulate stock prices, and turn a false quarterly profit, which, after many years, leads to a downward spiral of the company. Instead, Asian auto makers promote from within the internal management structure of their own company. So any person who achieves a top level management spot, in Toyota for example, has been with the company for years, and as a result, knows the product of the company and how the company functions internally, as well as they know themselves. Dedication is rewarded in Asian automaking. BTW, compare the Big Asian automaker's CEO salary to U.S. automaker's CEO salary and incentives, and you will begin to see the reason that the "Big Three" is headed, fiscally, in the wrong direction.

Unions were formed in a time of much needed protection in the infancy of auto manufacturing. But their time has come and passed for U.S. automakers, if those automakers want to become profitable. Unions, and corrupt CEOs have a strangle hold on the Big Three right now that is only getting tighter. They need to, somehow, release the strangle hold of the union, restructure the health and benefits plans for their retirees, and promote within the management structure of their own respective companies. I know that what I am saying is not popular, but it is bitter medicine that needs to be taken, and quickly. If the Big Three does not take action soon, and reduce the strangle hold of the Union, give employees a reason to care about their company (without the unions), and promote people that give their life to the company, they will face inevitable demise.

Honda and Toyota have practiced this philosophy since their inception, and are now set to take over the U.S. car market. And to think that they were laughed at by the Big Three when they wanted to begin importing their vehicles to the U.S. :eek:. Now Chrysler brings in a CEO that has pretty much destroyed Home Depot, and Ford has hired its new CEO from Boeing. They may have an MBA, but know nothing about automotive manufacturing. Saying that, I believe Ford now has the best chance out of the two, with their choice of CEO. They still need to implement the ways of the Asian auto makers however. We will see. I wish the Big 3 all the luck. They will need it.

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Phil,
Did you ever stop to ask yourself why the labor laws were needed in the first place? They came into being to give the poor working stiff a fair break when working for big companies. In the 1930's a worker who got injured on the assembly line was simply fired and replaced. Also firings took place for other reasons too so of course labor had no choice to organize to combat predatory management. This has led to a hostile work environment , management/union that exists to this day. Its a dinosaur of a work arrangement that will someday die taking as victims a whole lot of workers and management structure. And no one has ever taken a lesson from this.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the history. And I'm pro-union. And I'm pretty down on senior management right now.

BUT, it is not too late to hit the panic button and save manufacturing in the U.S. To do so requires union concessions and government involvement.

Do I think it can happen? Probably not. But it could, if someone would take this bull by the horns and wrestle it.

BTW, when Nardelli negotiated a $200M exit package, where was government? Why wasn't that one knocked-out. If I was the SEC I woulda nuked that one on the basis that it was a conspiracy between management and the board to defraud investors.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Still driving a RAM hoping the tranny holds:D

lol. Other than that I ain't saying a thing, nope, nosireee, not me bub. Not a thing.

Phil Thien
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Consumer Reports supports your statement Mike. The top Japanese auto makers set the standard for reliability and safety. BMW and Mercedes, for example, are actually not very realiable, and expensive to repair, relative to Japanese models. But some people get caught up in the status symbol. Oh well, a fool and their money.

Don't forget that the American cars are nipping at the heals of Japanese cars in terms of reliability. At least according to JDP.

Much of what is at play is a perception that Japanese cars are far more reliable, and some wonderful under-current marketing. Some people actually think they've made it once they start driving a Camry. Yes, a Camry is actually a status symbol to some people.

Others buy Japanese cars because of the misconceived notion that the higher resale value makes them a better investment, without properly analyzing the higher initial cost.

Finally, I've had both. I found my Toyotas and Hondas much more expensive when repairs were required (just in the cost of parts alone). And I've found my Dodge Caravan to be insanely reliable.

Dan McGuire
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Also, too many "Making a fast buck 101" classes in business schools/MBA programs.

Incentive programs tied to stock value are WRONG, too. CEO's manipulate results to maximize stock value.

It seems to me that most guys like Nardelli wake up each morning and wonder, "what can I do for Robert Nardelli today?" We need guys that wake up and say, "I'm set for life, so are my kids, what can I do to show everyone that I kick butt at running huge conglomerates?"

Phil,

Unfortunately, for the guy on the shop floor, labor has become just as big of a business as manfacturing! No one should kid themselves that unions are not-for-profit organizations. I liken the union/management relationship to that of a christmas tree. With union and management on oppsoite sides, and CEO and union director at the top right next to each other, by the time you get to the bottom or the shop floor, union and management or furtherst apart. the guy caught in the middle is the one coming to work each day trying to earn a living for his family, weather that be the supervisor, or the hourly worker. The guy that gets the most attention is worker that is always pushing the bounds of the contract and the shop steward trying to keep that clowns job, ignoring the guy that is doing what he is paid to do. The supervisor addresses the situation, the union reacts with a grievance and the fight is on. The process works its way through the steps, then some pouge in the labor relations department goes to lunch with his union counterpoint and they work some deal where the clown is brought back to work and the greivenance is pulled. The guy that truley gets screwed in this whole exchange is the one that comes to work and does what he is paid do, and generally does it well. Why should he put forth the effort when the other guy still has a job and does nothing

Until union and management decide what type of work force they want producing their products and quit protecting the person that has not respect for the job, nothing will change in the american auto industry.

I could write a book about the silly stuff I saw from both the union and managment during my time in that industry. Common sense is not a common virtue in that industry, in my opinion

Dan

Greg Peterson
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Given the contemptuous way Nardelli treated the investors at HD, I have no respect for the man and placing him as the head of Chrsyler only reaffirms my convictions that the corporate culture is simply corrupt beyond redemption.

Scott Donley
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
The guy that truley gets screwed in this whole exchange is the one that comes to work and does what he is paid do, and generally does it well. Why should he put forth the effort when the other guy still has a job and does nothing

Because at the end of the day he can feel good about the job "HE" did and not worry about what someone else got away with.

Dan McGuire
08-07-2007, 1:17 PM
Because at the end of the day he can feel good about the job "HE" did and not worry about what someone else got away with.

Scott,

I don't disagree with that statment what so ever. In fact that is why I got out of the union and into management, so I could control my own destiny so to speak. I also know that the "what have you done for me lately" attitude is pervasive and it is easy for the guy in the middle to feel lost, when he can't earn any more money then the clown that does not do his job and gets all of the attention of the union. In fact you can't even recoginize that guy who does his job well in front of his peers for fear of retribution towards him from his union "brothers." The union has a way of trying to bring every one down to the lowest common demonitor. The reality of the situation is that the clown who does not work should be tossed out on his ear and his spot taken by someone that respects the job to raise the level of productivity and quality instead lowering it.

Matt Meiser
08-07-2007, 2:09 PM
I've seen what Dan's talking about. The hard workers are treated with contempt by thier peers. I've spent many months working as a contractor in union auto plants. The work rules for us were ridiculous and cost those companies major $$. We couldn't work without an electrician to "supervise" us while we programmed. Only trouble is, we got assigned do-nothing electricians. In an 8 hour day we'd be lucky to get 4 hours work in. 1 hour to get going in the AM, breaks, lunches, 1 hour to wind the day down and we'd loose 1/2 the day. When we were working, the electricians would literally sleep.

Now I KNOW there are plenty of hardworking, proud union members. What I've seen in the auto industry is that these hard-working folks are losing big time because of by the do-nothings who are just driving up costs.

With respect to cost. The labor cost differences between the domestic auto companies and the foreign owned auto companies producing products in the US is not in wages. The difference is in the cost of things like pension and medical care. Dana, the UAW, and the United Steel Workers recently reached what many are calling an historic agreement for the unions to take over the responsibility for their member's pensions. That caps Dana's (who is bankrupt) financial responsiblity. There is talk that that could be a model to get GM/Ford/Chrysler out from under a crushing financial responsibility.

I certainly hope it works. While my own job is no longer tied to the fate of the auto industry or even the Michigan economy, my wife who works for a local hospital, my dad who is a Ford salaried retiree, and my mom who is a public school retiree and depends on the State of Michigan for her pension all need it to happen. Many SMC members need it to happen, and this country needs it to happen because we can't afford to loose one of our biggest industries.

With respect to corporate management, having recently left a fairly large public company I couldn't agree more. Even in the upper-middle ranks, all my business unit leader cared about was taking care of his buddies and funding his retirement house in N. Carolina and his Porche. Which should have gotten him fired right on the spot since our units largest customer was GM.

BTW, on the news this morning they reported that employee's were literally seen dancing on the front lawn at Chrysler right after the official take over by Cerebus.

glenn bradley
08-07-2007, 2:09 PM
I just checked their web site. I guess they are offering a lifetime warranty:eek:
INTRODUCING THE BEST WARRANTY COVERAGE IN THE BUSINESS.

Hey that's great. Nardo can get out with his golden parachute due to increased sales and the company (and its walking-wounded employees) can choke to death on a lifetime warranted crummy product. . . . .did I say that out loud?

glenn bradley
08-07-2007, 2:18 PM
lol. Other than that I ain't saying a thing, nope, nosireee, not me bub. Not a thing.

Me niether. I've owned my one and only Dodge and my one and only Jeep product. My Ford T-birds were fun while they lasted (not long, trannys). Loved my 71 Malibu that the 'ex' got in the divorce. Have loved all my Hondas (LOML's civic is 150,000 plus and has never even blinked) and really liked my Toyotas. I did drive the pea-wad out of a Olds Intrigue; it was an exceptional American car. But, no more Chrylsers for me.

Bob Childress
08-07-2007, 2:27 PM
With respect to cost. The labor cost differences between the domestic auto companies and the foreign owned auto companies producing products in the US is not in wages. The difference is in the cost of things like pension and medical care.

While my own job is no longer tied to the fate of the auto industry or even the Michigan economy, my wife who works for a local hospital, my dad who is a Ford salaried retiree, and my mom who is a public school retiree and depends on the State of Michigan for her pension all need it to happen. Many SMC members need it to happen, and this country needs it to happen because we can't afford to loose one of our biggest industries.

Matt,

You are exactly right. It's not wages, it's the bennies and pensions. But I don't necessarily agree that the country is losing the auto industry. What I do believe is that Michigan and the upper midwest are losing the auto industry.

Here in the south, they are building new plants all the time. BMW and Michelin here in Greenville; Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, etc. plants are sprouting all over the southeast. Now the International Consortium for Automotive Research (ICAR) is building their very large research facility here in Greenville as well. BMW just announced a 450,000 sq. ft expansion. Michelin just announced a big expansion. Auto parts suppliers are flocking to the area. The center of automotive gravity is shifting, I'm afraid.

Why the exodus? No unions. They pay union wages but save considerable on the pension costs by offering 401k's instead of fixed payment pensions. Cost of living is cheaper (read taxes), so the workers have a higher living standard. The unions try, but local workers have seen what happened in Michigan and other places and want no part of it.

BTW, this is in no way a gloat of any kind. It is just a fact of life and pretty sad at that. We are happy to have the industry but not at the expense of our northern neighbors. :( :(

Rich Engelhardt
08-08-2007, 8:01 AM
Hello,

He's used to cutting back people on a whim and paying them poorly. No way the UAW is going to go for that.

The UAW won't do much to oppose it. Maybe raise dues or something. :rolleyes:

Same as the rubber union, the steel workers union, plumbers union, wheelrights union, teamsters union,,,, I could go on for quite while.