PDA

View Full Version : Kim House complete wit pics

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:05 AM
The Kim house that I designed is now completed here are some pictures. I designed and hand built most of the furniture and a few cabinets for the home.

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:30 AM
to view while your sleeping:confused:

Dave Anderson NH
08-06-2007, 9:34 AM
A little "California" for my taste Mark, but exquisitely done and furnished. You have done yourself proud. I know you worked hard and long on both the house and the furniture. It must be really gratifying to have the chance to design the home and then make sure that the furniture fits it.

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:42 AM
here they are

Don Bullock
08-06-2007, 9:44 AM
That's quite an accomplishment Mark. You did a wonderful job on the whole project. Congratulations.

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:45 AM
oih ? what kinda word is dat?

John Gregory
08-06-2007, 9:47 AM
The wood gives a very contemporary home some nice warmth. Although not my style, it is beautiful to see. Thanks for sharing Mark

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:48 AM
since we are at it

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 9:52 AM
Also not my style, but another incredible house. I can see some definite similarities in some of the materials in your house and this house.

And that dining room table and chairs looks familiar :D

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:54 AM
This is your updated craftsman ....period style for 2007. It may be modern yes....but it also feels old in certain ways....kind of like I do for spending so much time on it.:eek: She is a great client . For a successful project you need a good team...Architect , Client and Contractor and here it came together. We respected each other and the care is evident in the finished product. The attitudes were always positive . The contractor and I have worked together for 20 years!

Gail O'Rourke
08-06-2007, 10:00 AM
I love it - the pictures take my breathe away! I can see your hand print in every aspect of this home. It is modern, yet warm and inviting, like I am standing in the living room when viewing the pictures. Your use of wood in strategic place - ceiling, furniture and in combination with the stainless is striking. I am incredibly impressed. Great work - and kudos for building such a great team.

Congratulations.

Don Bullock
08-06-2007, 10:18 AM
This is your updated craftsman ....period style for 2007...

I guess that's why I really like it. This place has the warmth of the "Craftsman" style. It really fits well into that setting and the furniture "fits" the house - something that many of the "great" architects like Frank Lloyd Wright were known for.

"Modern" as such isn't my style at all, because it ususlly reminds me too much of the "modern" homes in housing tracts that were somewhat popular in the '50s and '60s that weren't pleasing to my eye.

Very nice Mark. It all works together well.

John Schreiber
08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Congratulations Mark. That is beautiful at every level. I especially admire the way that the details and the whole work together. As I look at the pictures, details keep coming out - especially the light entering from the outside during the day and leaking from the building during the night.

I confess that as much as I like it, I can't imagine living in it. I'd love to visit, but I think it would feel to too spare and "hard" for me to live in.

I'm sure your client is looking for something different from me and that she is pleased. Another magazine spread coming?

Looking again: Are the interior light sources natural light with a translucent cover, or are they fluorescent fixtures, or something I haven't seen before?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Very nice Mark. Open, airy, modern and yet inviting........ a contrast in materials that go well together. Yes......very nice!

jeremy levine
08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Another magazine spread coming? --- I would say is deserves one.

The night pics are great.

Craig D Peltier
08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Is that a rent controlled apartment?:D
Nice pad an nice work. I like the CA style. I liked how the cabinets above fridge area had big rails an stiles an just a little panel.I havent seen that before.
Thanks for sharing.

walter stellwagen
08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I love it

My style

Walt

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I love it

My style

Walt

Finally! Thanks!

Jason Boushard
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
when can I move in? I love it and would be proud to own it great work.

Grant Davis
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Modern or not.....BEAUTIFUL workmanship in ALL of it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Quite lovely Mark~!! Nice use of space and light.

glenn bradley
08-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Very beautiful. It really does all come together.

Ed Falis
08-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I also love the style, and the design and the implementation. Excellent work, Mark.

John Bush
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Mark,
Fabulous detail!! By "Craftsman" style I assume you mean that structural components, like the block walls, the tinted slab floors, integrated wood surfaces, the SS railings, cabinets, etc., all show (off) the skill/talent of the "craftsmen" and your furnitue(sculptures--artwork--) bring that sense into the living space as well. I really admire your vision and how you translate that to the builders to create it for/with you. I would imagine the "craftsmen" appreciate the opportunity to have their work visible, not covered by drywall, carpeting and curtains. Are you taking applications???

Do you find it difficult to leave these creations behind, even after the check clears, and when will you be starting your design/build classes at the "Mark Singer College of Woodworking Knowledge"?????
Thanks for sharing. John.

sascha gast
08-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I HATE THE KIM's:D :D :D

Mark, this is a stunning house..........only to be rivaled by.uhm.....your own.
The style of this house really strikes a nerve with me, I love it so much it hurts.
When I was up at your place, I felt like kicking out your neighbors and move in their house:D .

if I ever move your way, we need to chat

Paul Douglass
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Beautiful home! Looks like it would be very open and light almost like no roof. I like that! I also like the wood. NOt over done, but just enough. You have a right to be very proud.

Rob Haskell
08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Glad you make comfortable and interesting homes. Large McMansions are neither. If you have time could you post a couple more pics of the vanity.
Thanks
Rob

Derek Jones
08-06-2007, 1:09 PM
Mark,
The material slection and harmony is amazing. We in the midwest don't see designs like it, just to conservative here. I notice that some of the material selection is "green" (not a big fan of that term). Is this something you take into account in you designs and construction?
Derek

Jim Becker
08-06-2007, 1:12 PM
Mark, it's always a wonderful pleasure to see your work...and this is yet another excellent example that is even more complete due to your furniture being part of it.

And thanks for including the night shots, too. They really add a special sense to what this project is "about"...space, light, and time.

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 1:35 PM
Thanks for all the kind words! I enjoy doing this type of home and for me after all the years it is a honing of ideas that I have either tucked away or parts of other projects.... This comes with time and practice. I don't try something new every Monday as Mies once warned....I keep working on more or less similar things and refining. The house represents the time we live in and I think that is important. I am not trying to re create a period house or one from another time or place....it is not honest and it was already done better by others many years ago and many times over. This house is "Green" in its use of solar mass and energy consumption. It is about 3500 sf. It was a lot of fun for me and I got a chance to build some unique pieces and they seem to compliment my Architecture. As the song said..."I Did it My Way" and whether its your cup of tea or not...It is me! "Be yourself no matter what they say" from Sting "an Englishman in New York"

Thanks for all the support!
BTW ...Photos by Jeri Koegel

Loren Hedahl
08-06-2007, 1:35 PM
We bought a California style house in NW Washington in 1972 that was 10 years old and love it. To us, traditional homes feel stuffy and boxy. We would feel right at home in yours.

The only change we needed to make after living here a few years was to change the roof design from flat to low pitch due to the rain and snow.

Nice work. I'm sure your client will love it.

Loren

Tom Hamilton
08-06-2007, 1:54 PM
Mark, thanks for sharing the pics. The house is beautiful and breathtaking. Another jewel in your crown of accomplishments.

Are the pics available full size in another location? I would love to be able to see them large and in more detail.

Congrats, Tom

Bruce Page
08-06-2007, 2:29 PM
I will make it my style! When can I move in?.

Mark, great execution of a beautiful design.

The wood-workin’ ain’t too shabby either.

Neil Lamens
08-06-2007, 2:57 PM
That's a beauty!!!! The photography of your lighting scheme is spectacular. All the differing textures....super!!!!

But more importantly is your thought in one of your posts:

I enjoy doing this type of home and for me after all the years it is a honing of ideas that I have either tucked away or parts of other projects.... This comes with time and practice.

Neil

Larry Fox
08-06-2007, 3:02 PM
I think Sascha Gast pretty much summed up my reaction to the house (except I have ever been to your house :) ).

I could never, in my wildest dreams, afford a house like that. However, based on what I have seen - if I ever could, I would contact you immediately and you would enjoy an open check-book and carte blanche with the design.

Wonderful!!

Bob Childress
08-06-2007, 3:15 PM
Well, Mark, as usual, more than stunning. A very minimalist feel, almost "loft-like" in some respects. It just flows and flows.

Best of all, it all fits together. Nothing pictured jars the senses with an "I don't belong in this picture." Clearly you took advantage of the siting as well, so the house "fits where it sits."

As my Aussie mates might say, I'm gobsmacked! Two thumbs way up. :)

Dave Sabo
08-06-2007, 6:35 PM
Mark, did you build the kitchen cabinetry too, or is it from SieMatic?

Dave Hale
08-06-2007, 6:55 PM
Damn! I'm done posting my projects......
Beautiful work, Mark.

John Shuk
08-06-2007, 7:26 PM
Mark,
It is a wonderful and obviously well planned home. All of the things we have come to know of you on this forum show through. Thoughtfulness and attention to detail.
Stunning.
John

Scot Ferraro
08-06-2007, 8:26 PM
Hi Mark,

Beautiful work as always and this is what I have come to expect from your shop. I love everything about your design of the house and the furniture -- pretty cool concept too. I need to pay you a visit at some point to see your shop first hand (we are practically neighbors).

Thanks for sharing!

Scot

Charles Jackson III
08-06-2007, 8:38 PM
Very nice work, Mark.

Bert Johansen
08-06-2007, 8:46 PM
Mark, stunning is too tame a word for this incredible project. Magnificent gets closer to the impact of the whole, with each delightful detail eliciting OOOHs and AAAHs. This is a masterful, memorable and exquisite crown of achievement, and we all appreciate your sharing all the wonderful photos with us sawdust makers.

Ed Garrett
08-06-2007, 9:15 PM
Mark,

Just fantastic. Looks like my kind of place too. A space where you can breath. I also cannot figure how you have the time for all the woodwork. It sure looks nice.

Sincerely,

Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 9:29 PM
Mark, did you build the kitchen cabinetry too, or is it from SieMatic?

It is Siematic...

John Timberlake
08-06-2007, 9:29 PM
Great job on the house and the furniture. Not my style, but I can tell both the design and execution were done well. You and the owners should be very proud. Nice pictures, too. What magazine it this going to appear in?

Alan Tolchinsky
08-06-2007, 9:34 PM
Mark, A big congrats to you. What an accomplishment to design a house and then fill it with furniture! That's awesome. I really enjoyed all the step by step construction of the furniture.

Clint Winterhalter
08-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Mark,
Great Job! I love the clean lines! The house looks light and airy!

I'm sure the Kim's are proud to live in such a beautiful masterpiece!

Congratulations!

Clint

Mark Singer
08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I love it - the pictures take my breathe away! I can see your hand print in every aspect of this home. It is modern, yet warm and inviting, like I am standing in the living room when viewing the pictures. Your use of wood in strategic place - ceiling, furniture and in combination with the stainless is striking. I am incredibly impressed. Great work - and kudos for building such a great team.

Congratulations.

Thank you! I love your post! You start something like this and really never know where its going. I just tried to do my best with the design, detailing etc. The woodworking was also kind of an endless endeavor....clients don't really know what a hounds tooth dovetail is ....I like the challenge and I like to know my ability is still there when I need it.....someone asked me," how an architect learned to make fine furniture"...."I said "My Father put a saw in my hand when I was five years old....a long time before I knew what an Architect was..." I just take each aspect and do my best.....why do less?

Mike Cutler
08-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

As a displaced native Angeleno. That home makes me remember what I thought I had forgotten. I just don't have the words to express it Mark.

The Kim's are very lucky people.

Bill Huber
08-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Mark the whole thing is just beautiful, what more can I say.
I love the open space of the house and the furniture is just awesome.

Great job !!!!!!!

Brett Baldwin
08-07-2007, 1:44 AM
An excellent wrap to all the posts we've seen on the various aspects of this project. Its good to see the whole come together. Congrats to you and your team Mark.

Jason Roehl
08-07-2007, 7:40 AM
I really like it, Mark, especially with how much wood is exposed and in several species. The night pictures are stunning.

I do have one question, though. How does it sound inside? The interior surfaces look like they are all hard, which can mean excessive echoing (which I don't like), so is there something in the design that deals with sound waves?

Mark Duginske
08-07-2007, 8:10 AM
Mark,

Nice work. One of the last Frank Lloyd Wright houses is in Wausau,
Wisconsin. It is cement block. Wright did a number of cement block structure. I'm glad to see you using a great basis material so well.

Where did the chairs come from? Did you design those?

Mark Singer
08-07-2007, 8:22 AM
I really like it, Mark, especially with how much wood is exposed and in several species. The night pictures are stunning.

I do have one question, though. How does it sound inside? The interior surfaces look like they are all hard, which can mean excessive echoing (which I don't like), so is there something in the design that deals with sound waves?
The key to better acoustics is to break or remove one reflecting surface (or more than one) The skylight helps a great deal. The rear multi slide windows open which also resolves this issue. It is not bad acoustically and as she adds softer material, rugs etc. it will improve.

Mark Singer
08-07-2007, 8:26 AM
Mark,

Nice work. One of the last Frank Lloyd Wright houses is in Wausau,
Wisconsin. It is cement block. Wright did a number of cement block structure. I'm glad to see you using a great basis material so well.

Where did the chairs come from? Did you design those?

Mark,
Yes I designed and built the chairs for my own home about six years ago. She really wanted them and I ended up selling her the walnut chairs and wenge table. I made a new table for my home and bought 10 Wegner Wishbone Chairs.
See the thread below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5430&highlight=wenge+walnut+chairs

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
All I can add is that it is Gorgous!!! I would LOVE to have the money to afford it!

Bruce

Greg Funk
08-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Mark,

Congrats on the completion of a beautiful house. I really like the open spaces and the connection to the outdoors. The pictures themselves are outstanding. Did you take those?

Greg

Michael Lutz
08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I like the house, boy would I like to live there.:cool: I just don't think I could afford it.

Thanks for showing it to us Mark,

Mike

Bob Swenson
08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Mark, As a Chef I have never understood the concept of having a sink in the middle of a work area. Is the client cooking or washing dishes. Bet none of your chefs have a sink in their face.
The house is beautiful, fantastic, what’s not to like. Is the fishing good out front?
Again I admire the volume of your production, I know I didn’t build a house last year and the coffee table is still in my head.
Great work
Bob

Jim Becker
08-07-2007, 1:58 PM
Prep sink, Bob! For washing veggies while you slice and dice them...or maybe even juliane... :D

Roy Wall
08-07-2007, 2:24 PM
Mark -

Beautiful indeed!!

How many sq. ft. in each level? It looks like the lower level is much wider across the back??

Also....dimensions of the pool? (Not the Giant Pool down the hill and to the west...:cool: )

Mark Singer
08-07-2007, 3:32 PM
Mark -

Beautiful indeed!!

How many sq. ft. in each level? It looks like the lower level is much wider across the back??

Also....dimensions of the pool? (Not the Giant Pool down the hill and to the west...:cool: )
Roy,
The pool is 10 x 40 like mine....
The lower level is smaller probably 1500 sf with 2000 sf on the upper level.
The retaining wall is about 2/3 of the way back so the upper level is partially over wood framing and partially on grade

Joe Unni
08-07-2007, 6:39 PM
Mark,

First...stunning!!! ...and almost emotional for me.

Quiet...honest...serene. Each view, an experience.

I grew up where/when the misc. stuff you had around the house meant and felt like home. As I'm getting older, I long for the feeling of serenity. And this is what I see in your work.

For whatever crazy reason today, I began to ponder this...not that I don't have a million other things in my head, but I began to wonder if there was a way I could convey what I'm feeling...

When you first view these images you may see a kitchen with a big table and a bunch of chairs or a bedroom with a bed and a pot of some sort with a couple of night tables. Some stone flooring...a coffee table...wood...steel...

I see complete serenity.

Close your eyes and picture the ocean horizon...hear the waves...the seagulls...add a sailboat in the distance...a puffy cloud in the sky...maybe the sound of a buoy. Quiet...peaceful...serene.

That's what I see. (Disclaimer - no brain cells where damaged during processing of this thought ;) )

Really very beautiful.

I'm particularly interested (pending project) of how the comode panel was suspended. Could you please (here or PM) help me understand?

Thanks (on many levels).

Humbly,
-joe

Joe Mioux
08-07-2007, 7:32 PM
Mark:

I love all your homes that you designed and have shown us here at SMC.

It is always a treat to see them.

It is hard to see on my computer, but is there some sort of special texture on the concrete block? It looks like there is something there, it doesn't appear to be just regular concrete block?

How are those skylights made? is that custom? what is the material?

Thanks for the tour.
Joe

Rich Torino
08-07-2007, 7:39 PM
Mark,
what can one say... absolutely stunning..

Jason Roehl
08-07-2007, 8:19 PM
The key to better acoustics is to break or remove one reflecting surface (or more than one) The skylight helps a great deal. The rear multi slide windows open which also resolves this issue. It is not bad acoustically and as she adds softer material, rugs etc. it will improve.

Well, that sounds great, then! :D

Philip Glover
08-07-2007, 9:19 PM
Mark,

I like the way that you have accentuated the horizontal through the house, yet add some subtle action with a diagonal such as the staircase.
I wish I lived there!

Regards,
Phil

Mark Singer
08-08-2007, 9:06 AM
Mark:

I love all your homes that you designed and have shown us here at SMC.

It is always a treat to see them.

It is hard to see on my computer, but is there some sort of special texture on the concrete block? It looks like there is something there, it doesn't appear to be just regular concrete block?

How are those skylights made? is that custom? what is the material?

Thanks for the tour.
Joe

Joe,
The skylight is Kalwall and is fiberglass with an insulated core.
The block is the "Natural grey warm tone" then it is sandblasted and sprayed with a soloxine sealer to make it waterproof

Dan Larson
08-11-2007, 3:53 PM
Mark, this is terrific... the concrete, steel, glass, and wood all work together so well. This is such a clean, calm, and warm design to my eye... unfortunate that this type of residential architecture is such a rarity here in the upper Midwest.

The stainless railing... your design? I like the way the round horizontal elements connect with the rectangular posts with an offset. Very neat. I'm sure a person could spend many hours touring this house, admiring all of these types of clever design details!

Take a bow... you deserve it!!!

Dan

Rob Blaustein
08-11-2007, 6:00 PM
I love it. I'll take two; when can you start?:D

It really is fantastic. I'll echo what Gail and others have said--it really has your signature. That use of space and different woods to complement the other materials is really super. I used to think I didn't like modern. I think I just hadn't really seen it done right. Thanks for taking all the time to share your work.

--Rob

Mike Null
08-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I can't find anything not to like about your work. This house and furnishings are a dream.

I particulalry like the garage treatment as a design element.

That's a pretty fair job on the view too.

Mark Singer
08-12-2007, 1:31 AM
The Garage door is a good example of detailing that is uncommon.....it disappears into a large wood panel and the grain is continuous....the boards run through and only a faint saw cut gives the slightest hint. W have all seen a lot of homes with garages and probably , I am guessing, no one has seen this detail. It is one I worked out because I did not want the door to creat a separate "I am the garage door statement" . This is a good example of imagine what you want and sketch and detail until you get what you want. This allows you to take it to the next level and things like that get noticed if the rest of the design is tight.
Details in furniture are very important...the same excercise is a good practice

Eugene A. Manzo III
08-12-2007, 7:19 AM
Very nice Work Mark it looks very nice to me and in Maine our calender also reads 2007 this home is where we all will be in 100 years. What type of work are the Kims into ?

Mark Singer
08-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Very nice Work Mark it looks very nice to me and in Maine our calender also reads 2007 this home is where we all will be in 100 years. What type of work are the Kims into ?

She imports art work from other parts of the world to the USA.

Charles McKinley
08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Mark,

Another jaw dropper! I really like the stainless.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-13-2007, 7:06 AM
Wow!

-Jeff :)

John Schreiber
08-13-2007, 8:59 AM
The Garage door is a good example of detailing that is uncommon.....it disappears into a large wood panel and the grain is continuous....the boards run through and only a faint saw cut gives the slightest hint. W have all seen a lot of homes with garages and probably , I am guessing, no one has seen this detail. It is one I worked out because I did not want the door to creat a separate "I am the garage door statement" . This is a good example of imagine what you want and sketch and detail until you get what you want. This allows you to take it to the next level and things like that get noticed if the rest of the design is tight.
That is so cool. I didn't realize it was a garage door until I read the above and looked again. That's thinking out of the box to make the box a different thing. I bet other architects will follow you here.

Ken Gartin
08-13-2007, 9:19 AM
Beautiful! Not my style either but BEAUTIFULLY designed...

When's the HGTV promo? :)

John Eaton
08-13-2007, 9:37 AM
As another modernist, beautiful work Mark!

-- John

Wayne Watling
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Exquisite work! Thanks for showing us your work.

What species of wood did you use for the garage doors. Did you design and build the internals or did you use a stock mechanism.

Regards,
Wayne

Mark Singer
08-13-2007, 4:01 PM
The garage door is redwood. The mechanism is a standard one ....modified a bit. If you look at a standar roll up and move it out so it flushes with the panel your very close.....the rest you need to work on

Jason White
08-13-2007, 4:10 PM
I once toured a former home of Cary Grant in Beverly Hills that was a "modern" home style like this.

Not really my taste -- but surely exquisite!! Well done!

JW

The Kim house that I designed is now completed here are some pictures. I designed and hand built most of the furniture and a few cabinets for the home.

Craig Mitchell
10-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I just love this house. Love it.

Someday......

Brandon Shew
10-11-2007, 7:15 AM
Now that's a house that I could move right in to. Clean lines, no clutter - it's modern, but with a feel that's still in touch with the earth. Nice work as always. It's nice to see a more contemporary style on the boards.

It can get old seeing all of the mission and shaker designs over and over again. It's not that I don't appreciate them (or realize their influence on contemporary design), but my tastes lean towards the modern / organic as well and I always get some inspiration from your posts.

Al Navas
10-11-2007, 7:19 AM
... but my tastes lean towards the modern / organic as well and I always get some inspiration from your posts.

OK, gents, I give up!

What does the term "organic" mean in this context???

chris fox
10-12-2007, 1:56 AM
awesome.
I really like the horizontal wood detail especially how it down plays the garage door - all blended in. The Horse tail reed along the front adds a nice sense of texture. I really like the use of natural light, too.
Looks like the Kim's ave a nice view out the back too.:D

Dan Barr
10-12-2007, 2:58 PM
a ga ga ga. :p

REALLY NICE!!!!! (in a homer simpson, i cant even begin to really appreciate it kinda way)

ONE DAY.....................

Dan :D

Brent Ring
07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Nice Work mark - very catchy! The craftmanships screams Mark Singer. Something to be very proud of!

Jeffrey Makiel
07-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm glad this post was resurrected. It's certainly worth a second look.

Rob Will
07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Great work Mark!

I'm impressed but I can't figure out if there is a place to hang my greasy coveralls or a step where I can leave my steel toe boots. :o. (My grandfather would have driven a nail in the wall for the coveralls) :o:o (anybody know this guy?)

Seriously, your vision and attention to detail is incredible. I think the house fits the setting and the climate there very well.

Rob

Eric Commarato
07-09-2008, 1:33 PM
Mark,

I assume you are a registered architect? From one architect to another I give it an A+++, and hope to see it in Record Houses.

Eric J. Commarato, AIA

Glenn Clabo
07-09-2008, 1:51 PM
Eric,
You may be interested in this...
http://marksingerarchitects.com/

Mike Minto
08-03-2008, 5:33 PM
isn't it nice to have money? green eyes here, mike

Peter Quadarella
08-03-2008, 5:42 PM
That house is simply stunning. Although I am used to a different style, I would change my style to live in a house like that!

Neal Clayton
08-03-2008, 7:04 PM
Also not my style, but another incredible house. I can see some definite similarities in some of the materials in your house and this house.

And that dining room table and chairs looks familiar :D

not my style either but i can appreciate preference for modern styles if done tastefully.

now the people who try to remodel centuries old victorian/craftsman/tudor/gotchic/etc homes into art deco/modern with chrome plating, pink paint, and mirrors on the other hand i could strangle.

Alan Greene
08-03-2008, 7:25 PM
Mark, you have made a beautiful home and furnishings that will give the Kim's' pleasure for a long time. Great work.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-03-2008, 8:16 PM
It's definitely my style. When can I have one?

Jerry Olexa
08-04-2008, 5:13 PM
Mark, your usual high quality,professional work..Looks at home in a California setting...Very well done!

Van Huskey
05-20-2012, 1:39 AM
I know this is a VERY old thread but I just saw it for the first time and had to comment. The house is stunning and the details are perfect. This is a house that both my wife and I could live in forever, we both love this style. She would fill it with mid-century modern furniture and we would be happy campers. Did I say it was stunning? My wife is out of town currently and although I could send her the link I want to wait until she gets home just to see her expressions as she looks at the pictures. Bravo!

PS I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in the thread but I see it won a First Award "Honor Award" in 2007 from the AIA, kudos!

Mike Heidrick
05-20-2012, 3:10 AM
Its amazing. I would love to turn my 2 year old and 5 year old girls loose in it for about 3 hours!

phil harold
05-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I look at that house and think how echo is in there is,
so many bright surfaces to reflect sound...

I am sure it has some spectacular views!

Van Huskey
05-20-2012, 2:36 PM

I have built/lived in a couple of houses with a lot of parallel hard surfaces and the RT60 (sound term for the time it takes reverberation to decay 60dB) was huge when the house was completed but it is amazing what just a few pieces of furniture, some art/pictures on the walls and a rug or two does to reduce this. In other words it might be scary if you toured the home empty (like they showed houses in the "old" days) but with even a sparse population of furniture and the things associated with life it damps down quite well. If one is an audiophile you do have to approach rooms in houses like this with a certain amount of care but for normal daily life the echo diminishes to a point it is not normally noticeable once it is set up for living.

hai hong
05-20-2012, 3:48 PM
That is really nice ,is that polish concrete ?

Jason Roehl
05-21-2012, 9:06 AM

Asked and answered--check out posts 52 and 54 (the post numbers are in the upper right corner of each post in the blue bar that contains the date/time of the post on the left).

Mark Singer
06-15-2012, 9:41 AM
Thank you for the recent comments! I know its an old thread..... glad to see the interest