PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Circular Saw???

Todd Hoppe
08-06-2007, 8:19 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new circular saw to replace a $39 Skil from Wal-Mart (impossibly noisy, and hard / impossible to adjust).

Amazon has an offer going until 8/13/07 where you get a free reconditioned 18v drill with a $300 tools purchase. I'm tempted to get a dewalt circular saw (the 159, heavy duty model). Does anyone have either good or bad experience with this saw.

Primary uses:
- Use with EZ guide system
- Break Down sheet goods
- "Finish quality" fine woodworking
- Occasional construction lumber.

If there are strong negatives, I will probably purchase a PC or Bosch.

Thanks!
Todd

Al Lupone
08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I bought a Dewalt to use on my EZ guide. What a POS! Don't remember the model # but it has a composite base. One corner of the base is a cut away design. The base warped & consequently rocks on the guide rail.
The people that haved tried one say the Makita 5007MGA is a good choice for the EZ guide.
Al

Randal Stevenson
08-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Are you referring to the DW364K (as in $159.00 not a model 159)? Several people have had it and it's larger 8 1/4" brother. The 8 1/4" was one of the prefered ones for it's size. I believe this one was considered good, but not as good as others. What else DeWalt were you looking at? Might look at it's larger sibling, and ask this in the EZ forum.

Todd Hoppe
08-06-2007, 1:12 PM
This will be the DEWALT DW364K, available at Amazon.

Michael Schwartz
08-06-2007, 1:38 PM
I know the Dewalts are good framing saws.

Get something with an electric brake. Most saws are available with one, although you might have to special order one from the manufacturer.

I am going to say Hilti, but I am a bit biased, as I own both the 167 and
267-E . The 267-E is especily good with bevels, and plunge cutting.

Dino uses a Bosch Wormdrive and higly reccomends them, You need to cut a hole into the upper guard to add a dust port though.

I would look at the Makitas or the PC Magnum series. I have used a bunch of Makitas for framing and they are great saws, and have good blade visibility.