PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Launch Viewing?

Russ Filtz
08-06-2007, 7:53 AM
Been toying with the idea to drive over and see my first shuttle launch on Wed. Anyone know any good locations to view that aren't too much hassle to get to, or where you have to camp out for days for a decent seat?

Been in Tampa for 2-yrs now and haven't even seen a contrail!

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 8:36 AM
I've now seen 2 launches, both night launches. The first we were able to get passes through our local Representative to go out to the Air Force base or whatever military installation is south of the lanch pads. That was really cool because of how close we were (about 6 miles if I remember correctly), the unobstructed view, and the fact that we could hear all of the communication and had a countdown clock.

In December the launch was delayed 2 days so we were in Florida for it. Had it been delayed 1 day, we would have been in Cocoa Beach, but instead we were at Disney. We happened to be right in front of Magic Kingdom at about launch time and waited there for a few minutes and were able to see it from there. It was still a pretty incredible sight from even that distance. (No noise though.) When we left Cocoa Beach people were lining up on the sides of the causeways already--probably 12 hours early.

I would think anywere close by with a veiw of the sky in the vicinity of the launch pad would be a good show.

Kevin Beck
08-06-2007, 9:37 AM
I watch most of them from my back yard (about 50 miles away). I did drive over for a morning launch a few years ago. Titusville is a great place to see the shuttle launch. If you look at titusville.com they have a page of suggested shuttle viewing sites.

Good luck, you'll never forget your first close-up shuttle launch.

Kevin

Russ Filtz
08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Matt, how hard was it to get passes? Timing? Just wondering if I can get some in the next two days!

Matt Meiser
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
From what I remember, 2 days probably isn't enough time. We actually had to have them sent to a friend of my mom's in Florida because we barely left enough time and they weren't sure we would get them before we left home. But, I would contact your representative's office right away and see. That was probably 12 years ago that we did it so things might have changed.