PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Glue Recommendation

Roger Ronas
08-06-2007, 12:49 AM
First I'd like to say that you guys have a great site and I appreciate being on here.

I'm going to be building some cabinet doors using panel glue ups. I'm using Knotty Pine and will finish with clear Tung Oil.

What type of glue do you recommend for edge gluing long grain?

Thanks in advance!!

Roger

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2007, 1:23 AM
Roger.....Welcome to the Creek!

In my panel doors I use plain old Tightbond.

For future reference.....this site answers general glue questions but I don't think it necessarily applies in this case. http://www.thistothat.com/

Hopefully some more experienced Creekers will provide an answer to your question.

Again....Welcome to the Creek!

Mike Cutler
08-06-2007, 7:36 AM
Titebond should work just fine. No reason to make it any more complicated than it has to be.

Oh yeah, Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Kyle Kraft
08-06-2007, 8:39 AM
I'll second (or third) that recommendation of Titebond.....Oh, and welcome to the Creek

Maurice Ungaro
08-06-2007, 9:02 AM
FWW, just had a review. Good ol' yeller (carpenter's gule) is the ticket. Borden's, Titebond, etc.

Roger Ronas
08-06-2007, 9:28 AM
CooL!!
And THANKS for the WARM WELCOMES!!!!

Roger

Steven Wilson
08-06-2007, 9:32 AM
Hm, did anybody say Titebond yet?

Maurice Ungaro
08-06-2007, 9:56 AM
Only 4 or 5 times.

Steve Clardy
08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
6 times? Lol

I use titebond original

glenn bradley
08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I always use Titebond. Any quality PVA glue will serve your purpose but Titebond is the de-facto standard, it seems. I have never had a problem with it and that's as good a reason as any to use it. I wouldn't want to save a dollar on a bottle of glue only to have trouble with a project that cost much more in time and money.

Eugene A. Manzo III
08-06-2007, 5:59 PM
I used this stuff called Titebond and couldnt break a joint apart with a claw hammer after I cut it to the wrong size :rolleyes:

Michael Schwartz
08-06-2007, 6:23 PM
I predominently use Tightbond 3, but Tightbond 2 is fine, and Tightbond 1 is good, but not as moisture resistant as 2. Tightbond 1 is just plain yellow glue. Tightbond 2 is more moisture resistant, and Tightbond 3 is highly moisture resistant, and near waterproof. Tightbond 3 is generaly stronger than 2, except in a few areas where 2 tested slightly higher than 3, according to a FWW test. 3 will hold up better though when exposed to moisture, and retain its strength, vs 2 which will hold, but weaken.

3 is also rated by the FDA for indirect food contact, for things like cutting boards or countertops.

Tightbond 2 is more than enough, you can get it at Home Depot.

Roger Ronas
08-06-2007, 8:53 PM
Thanks guys!

Like the advice about 1,2,and 3. That's what I was looking for.

RR