PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Jon Lanier
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and have been enjoying so many skilled craftsman and the pictures of their work. I thought I'd say, "Hi," and share one of my favorite works.

This sign was done for a Ministry called, "GAP Ministries."

The outside is made of African Mahgony, layered/intarsia of the world with Tiger Striped Maple and the the Lettering is Panga Panga (also known as Wenge). The background acting as the water of the world is a Blue Mirror Acrylic.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1351/gapsignwp0.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jon! Extremely nice sign! Thanks for posting!

Bill Huber
08-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Welcome Jon, very nice looking work.

How did you cut the earth out?

John Bailey
08-06-2007, 7:53 AM
Don't ya' just hate newbies with that kind of talent!!:D:D:D:D

Welcome to the Creek Jon. Great lookin' sign. Got any pictures of your shop?

John

Jon Shively
08-06-2007, 8:10 AM
From one Jon to another, welcome and what an incredible sign! Fantastic work, the detail is top notch!

Paul Douglass
08-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Welcome, and yes that is beautiful work. You must have other to show. I'd like to see them

Jon Lanier
08-06-2007, 2:16 PM
Welcome Jon, very nice looking work.

How did you cut the earth out?

Bill,

I made a pattern that would fit his display board and did the inside cuts of the Mahagony Frame with a scroll saw. I decided that wasn't enough, so I took that same pattern (added the "GAP") ... and then laid it out over the striped maple and cut it with the scroll saw as well. Then did the same with the Wenge. For the mirror/backer, I took 3/8 birch ply and routed out 1/8 inch deep oval so the mirror would fit flush, took some epoxy and it ain't moving ;). That whole backer is the held in with some brass screws in case he ever needs to remove it to clean the mirror.

-------

Everyone thank you for your kind encouragement and welcome to the board! :)

Jason Boushard
08-06-2007, 2:23 PM
wow nice work got anymore?

Raymond Fries
08-06-2007, 5:36 PM
Very nice sign Jon.