PDA

View Full Version : Minilathe motor: how hot is too hot?

Jimmy Newman
08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I was working on my new Jet 1220 mini lathe today for the first time, and came across something I thought I would ask about. I'm new to having my own "floor tools" or machinery or however you categorize it, so I wasn't sure if this was normal. The motor on the lathe was getting pretty hot - I could touch it without burning myself, but couldn't leave my hand on for more than about a second. Is this normal? If not, is there anything I should be checking?

I tried searching on this subject but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Jude Kingery
08-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey Jimmy,

Can't answer your question directly as specific to the Jet, but I can say it was interesting to me with our VB the manual said it is normal for the case to be "hot to the touch," after use, normal; nothing's wrong. Long as it's greased and lubed, no worries. And yes, it does heat up like that, hot to the touch, doesn't burn, but uncomfortable to leave your hand on it after a few seconds. Maybe someone with a Jet mini will chime in and give you additional info, hope so! Jude

Lee DeRaud
08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I was working on my new Jet 1220 mini lathe today for the first time, and came across something I thought I would ask about. I'm new to having my own "floor tools" or machinery or however you categorize it, so I wasn't sure if this was normal. The motor on the lathe was getting pretty hot - I could touch it without burning myself, but couldn't leave my hand on for more than about a second. Is this normal? If not, is there anything I should be checking?

I tried searching on this subject but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
JimmyBTDT: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41124

Richard Madison
08-06-2007, 1:29 AM
Jimmy,
Your description indicates that the outside of your motor is reaching about 130F. Assuming that there is open space around the motor for air circulation and that's as hot as it gets, you have no problem.

paul ashman
08-06-2007, 7:45 AM
Hi,
I have a 1220 also, I had problems with the headstock getting hot. Jet sent me a set of bearings out and that fixed that problem. The motor does get hot to the touch though, I asked Jet about it and they said that it would do that. I just try to make sure the motor has good airflow around it. If your headstock is heating up or you feel the motor is getting too hot, give Bobby at Jet a call, he will help you out.

Jimmy Newman
08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info, guys - and thank you for the link to that thread. Go figure, I searched for "motor heat" and "motor overheat" but not "hot motor." :)

I'm glad to hear it's nothing to worry about.

Yesterday was the first time I've really made something on a lathe before (I have played on them briefly in the past but never made a "finished" anything), a bowl out of osage orange. I haven't made a longworth chuck yet and don't have cole jaws or a vacuum chuck, so it still has the nasty, chewed up foot, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it for a first effort. I'll put some pictures up tonight.

Paul Engle
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Most motor mfg's put on the motor tag the temp rise for the motor usually to about 40 deg C is normal remember you are converting electrical energy into mechanical energy and the " waste " or " loss " from the conversion process is heat.....