PDA

View Full Version : New tool

Stacey Scarboro
08-05-2007, 8:12 PM
I got it in the mail on Friday. It is a Granberg Alsaska Mark 3 mill. I spent all day Saturday working with it. It is awesome. I sawed some oak up. Some for my wife to use with her scroll saw work and some 2-3" slabs for me to use on plates and platters. Here are some pictures. One is of my new mill, one of several of the slabs for my wife(all between 16-18" wide), and then a slab from a crotch that I cut(it is going to make a really nice platter.)

Stacey

Martin Braun
08-05-2007, 9:02 PM
Looks like a lot of fun! How much did you pay for mill attachment? Did you get a rip chain or use a regular chain? Did you set up 2x4 rails that they mention? If so, how'd you get them straigt & parallel? Sorry for all the questions, but I've often thought about doing this with some of the urban wood scores we get down here.

Shannon Grizzell
08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Stacey, thanks for posting this.

My Alaskan Mark III is supposed to arrive sometime this week. I'm looking forward to giving it a workout. I'm glad to know that it works as well as they say.

Stacey Scarboro
08-06-2007, 6:56 PM
Martin,
I love it. It was a bit of a workout but it worked really well. To answer your questions. I bought the 30" mill and it was $180 at Baileys. I also bought a new 28" bar for my chainsaw and a ripping chain to fit the new bar. I also got the rail jig that attaches to two 2x4's I used 10' 2x4's with the mounts for the jigs 1' in from each end. That way I could mill an eight foot log. I didn't have any trouble with bowing. I picked the straightest 2x4's I could find.
Stacey