PDA

View Full Version : Ideas For CSMS dust collection

Tom Cowie
08-05-2007, 8:05 PM
Hello to all

I have A Dewalt 708 mounted on a move-able workbench . I have most of my dust collection needs met except for this one. I have limited space left in the shop so any ideas would be appreciated..:)

Tom

Chuck Lenz
08-05-2007, 8:26 PM
Tom, sometimes I will hookup my shop vac to mine, the hose fits on it pretty well. But if your looking for some type of hood to connect to a dust collector I'd have to see your setup.

Jim Hill 2
08-06-2007, 9:39 AM
This was my new years resolution for the year to get my CMS dust collection under control. I built a rolling cabinet with a hood which controls 90% of the dust my CMS makes. Just not having to deal with the mess was worth the work. Here are some pics that I hope give you some ideas.

Jim

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62749&highlight=resolution

Chuck Lenz
08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Pretty fancy Jim, I can't beleive you put all that work into it and didn't stain and varnish it.

Jamie Buxton
08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
First, replace the saw's dust bag with a shop-vac hose. That will catch perhaps half the dust. In particular, it seems to catch the fine particles which hang in the air for minutes after you cut. Second, make a hood behind the saw. It can be as simple as a couple of removable sticks hooked to the workbench, with a dropcloth draped over them. Most of the sawdust that escapes the shop-vac hits the hood and falls to the floor. It will fall in one place instead of blowing all over your shop, and can be easily picked up.

An advantage of the dropcloth hood is that it can be easily knocked down and stored, so it doesn't require much room in the small shop when it is not in use. It also can be fairly portable, if you use your chop saw at customer sites.

Roland Chung
08-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Jim, nice setup!

Here is the first generation of dust collection for my shop. It fits my Makita 10" slider at full right and left cuts. It is made from leftovers (sorry, my leftovers are not as nice as Jim's) that are held together with hinges to allow it to "break down" for storage. It has a dust collection port on the bottom.

Since then, I've picked up a dust shroud from FastCap that looks promising. Only thing is that I want to add dust collection to the bottom, but have been reluctant to cut into it.

Tom Cowie
08-07-2007, 6:16 AM
Hello to all

I have A Dewalt 708 mounted on a move-able workbench . I have most of my dust collection needs met except for this one. I have limited space left in the shop so any ideas would be appreciated..:)

Tom

Thanks for the replies. Those are very impressive setups Jim and Roland.

I think I'm going to try mounting something like that to the wall behind the unit. Then use the shop vac hose instead of the bag as Jamie stated.

Thanks again Tom