PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Storage Question

Raymond Fries
08-05-2007, 7:36 PM
I am getting ready to buy Incra's 27 x 43" router top to bolt the 17" positioner to. I have a small shop, until I move, and not sure about dedicating the footprint necessary for this table. I was considering laying this top on one of my benches for use and then standing it against the wall when not in use. My shop is in an attached 2 car garage that is not climate controlled. Although I do have a heater for the cold months.

Do you think the top would stay straight?
Would there be undue stress on the positioner by moving it around?
Other bad stuff that might happen?

I really need that new shop bad...

Thoughts please...:rolleyes:

Mike Sommer
08-06-2007, 9:33 AM
I have the LS 17 positioner that you are considering, and with the weight of the top and the positioner, it is going to be somewhat heavy to move around. I would be concerned that the Incra might get knocked around a little, which would not be the best for it.

Also, you say you will be laying it on your bench, do you mean sawhorses, maybe between 2 benches, otherwise the router hanging down from the top will raise the height of the table 10"-12" which would make for a high work surface

Just my .02

Mike

Raymond Fries
08-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I was actually thinking about laying the top on the bench with the router hanging down just in front of the bench.

Called Woodpecker's this morning and although they never had that question asked were a little concerned about the top warping over time.

Guess I should just make the room and get a base to be safe.

Thanks for your coomments.

glenn bradley
08-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I was actually thinking about laying the top on the bench with the router hanging down just in front of the bench.

Called Woodpecker's this morning and although they never had that question asked were a little concerned about the top warping over time.

Guess I should just make the room and get a base to be safe.

Thanks for your coomments.

I'm going with a recommendation against the hanging off the side of the table thing. I had a top sag and it was supported by the manufacturer's framing. I have since over doubled that support 'web' and have had no further trouble.

The space issue is one of the reasons my RT is part of my TS extension. I get the increase in table surface for both machines with a small additional footprint. I think you'll be happier in the long run maneuvering around a dedicated space for the tool that is safe and stable for it.

Let us know how it goes ;-)