PDA

View Full Version : How do you convert this to a vector?

Carol VanArnam
08-05-2007, 6:10 PM
I'm trying to convert this bmp to a vector but can't figure out how. I tried corel x3 but couldn't get a smooth product. I'm new to the trace feature. Does anyone know a trick or way to do this? (Just call me a laser head...)

I was thinking maybe pay that guy that makes vector files the $12. I've seen him advertised on the creek as a way to do this.

Any ideas on how to convert this to a vector? I want to make a clock like this one as a gift for a friend..... I love the shape of this one....

Frank Corker
08-05-2007, 6:48 PM
You won't get a smooth product because the picture isn't up to it. Too low a resolution to get it.

Try this one and see if it is up to your requirements

Stephen Beckham
08-05-2007, 8:31 PM
Carol,

I gave it a shot at the outline, but I haven't upgraded my home computer to X3 so I'm pulling my hair out trying to do this in v12.

I can't open Frank's but I'm sure his will work for you as well.

OOOPS - when you open that - you'll have to change the lines back to hairline before they'll vector. I left them at 1pt so I could see them better.

Steve

Carol VanArnam
08-06-2007, 1:51 AM
Carol,

I gave it a shot at the outline, but I haven't upgraded my home computer to X3 so I'm pulling my hair out trying to do this in v12.

I can't open Frank's but I'm sure his will work for you as well.

OOOPS - when you open that - you'll have to change the lines back to hairline before they'll vector. I left them at 1pt so I could see them better.

Steve

Steve- how did you do that? How long did it take you to do it? I guess I look at what you did and think either you are way smarter than me (that could be true) or there is a trick I don't know about. That is exactly what I wanted. What can I do to learn the trick? I'm serious I had spent about 4 hours trying and believe me the way I was trying was not pretty.

thanks so much Steve. I'll post pictures when I finish the project....

Neal Schlee
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Carol,

With low res bitmaps, you'll more than likely need to use the vector drawing tools in Corel to get a clean vector for cutting.

When tracing over symetrical bitmaps, place a vertical guide at the center of the bitmap, then "lock" it, this makes tracing over it easier with the drawing tools, and remember you only need to do one half of the design, just duplicate and mirror to get the finished shape(s).

Corel Trace is a great program, but there are times when you must redraw what you need.

Neal

Mike Null
08-06-2007, 1:46 PM
Carol

When drawing something like this clock use standard shapes, rectangles, circles, ovals, triangles, then convert to curves and weld, Then use the shape tool to tweak the drawing. You can save a lot of time and come up with a near perfect drawing.

You may also find the contour tool to be helpful.

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2007, 2:10 PM
One more last resort trick is to hand trace the outline with a fine tip marker on clear acetate, then scan. Especially if you draw better than you "mouse." Most of the time I use Mike's method for this kind of shape, a lot faster with little or no cleanup needed after.

Stephen Beckham
08-06-2007, 9:57 PM
I did as Mark suggested combined a little with the other suggestions of drawing half and copying.

One other step I tried first was to edit in Paint. Make the background transparent so that your object is the only thing circled by "ants." Color fill the entire object (color doesn't matter). Save that image and now you have two options - trace - it only does the outline or use the funtion in paint (sorry - don't have X3 here to the see the function name) that outlines an object.

In your particular file it gave too jagged of an edge anyway - so I went back to the simple figures (circles and ovals) combined them and then went to work on the nodes using the shape tool. It's a bit longer process, but once you get the hang of how to manipulate the nodes, the curves come pretty easy. You'll need to learn the difference between cusp, smooth and symmetrical nodes and how they change the angles.

I treat it more like a video game or a relaxation tool to take me away by focusing on the nodes - some drive me plain nuts - some relax me because there is an end shape I'm looking for. Zoom in and work with small portions, but be carefull all the nodes are tied together and moving one may change at least two others... Enjoy...

Carol VanArnam
08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
I was up until 4am last night making clocks with the shape Steve made.

Steve your copy was PERFECT!!! I had tried the shape thing you guy suggested but I didn't try the converting it to curves. I'll try the contour tool and shaping tool. Thanks for the tips.

Mike Null
08-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Steve

Sounds to me like you're ready for a tablet. I've been using one of these occasionally and find it very helpful. It came free with my Version 11 and also X3.

http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

Bob Cole
08-07-2007, 1:25 AM
Mike,

I have a Wacom drawing pad and it works fairly well. The Trace tool didn't do what I wanted so I printed it out, used the tape that you can remove and taped it to the pad and traced. For simple designs, this is extremely fast, but whatever you do don't zoom in or pan to the left or right (lose your trace and scale). This is where my question comes in. How do you make sure that when you are drawing in this fashion using the pad that you can keep the scale and centered correctly?

Also, what is the easiest way to make the drawing pad 1 to 1 with Corel? I had a leather pattern I was trying to trace and didn't see an easy way to make sure what I was tracing with the pad was actual size in Corel.

Not trying to hijack this thread.

Shane Turner
08-07-2007, 5:09 AM
The pads usually correspond to the entire screen area, so I convert my workspace to the entire screen.

Not sure how to do this in Corel, or even if you can.
But in Illustrator. press "F" till you get full screen mode. Select your tool and press "TAB" to remove the interface. You're now working on the entire screen area.

Mike Null
08-07-2007, 8:04 AM
Bob

I'm a novice with the Wacom tablet but I just downloaded the latest drivers and they seem to work better. As I recall, when I originally installed it the instructions mentioned something about orienting the stylus to diagonal corners in order to use the full drawing area of Corel.

Stephen Beckham
08-07-2007, 9:12 AM
Hadn't heard of the Wacom devices - they look interestingly easy to pickup. I can see where they would be a big advantage for complex items. I didn't look at the prices, but unless I was tracing a horse or something like that, I'd stick to the circles, squares and triangles to save the expense of buying the tablet....

OT - Did you know, it was Picasso that said everything we see with our eyes can be translated to a combination of lines (art appreciation class - elective in College in early 80's). That explains why he painted the way he did... Does that mean our vector art we create could be worth millions for some future generation?!?!? :D