PDA

View Full Version : Couple More Pens

Paul Heely
08-05-2007, 6:08 PM
Now that I have finished installing the DC and building a closet around it I got back to some round stuff.

Finished a couple of cigars today. BOW in satin nickel and yellow heart in satin gold. I think the yellow heart is very nice looking wood but seemed to want to chip out if you just looked at it the wrong way. I think some finish other than satin gold would actually go better with the color of the wood. I have another blank and think I'll try something in a rhodium/platinum type finish.

Thanks for looking.

Mike A. Smith
08-05-2007, 6:21 PM
Nices ones Paul!

I agree with you on the satin gold. I bought some and made several pens and didn't like it with anything. Always looks kinda like cheap plastic to me. The satin nickel though looked pretty nice with purpleheart.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-05-2007, 6:34 PM
Very nice pens Paul,

Cigars are great kits, I have had experience with the satin finishes, I don't use them any more, chrome only.,

Patrick Taylor
08-05-2007, 6:43 PM
The only satin finish I've liked is a satin nickel I did with cocobolo in a european. Other than that I really like the rhodium/platinum finish best. Polished gold is good for some things too.

Great job on these pens!

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2007, 9:57 PM
Great looking pens Paul. I like them both. Nice job.

Paul Heely
08-06-2007, 9:49 AM
I've had a few people ask for the satin finishes and still have a few kits left of each that I'll be making up. But I think for the most part I'll concentrate on the shiny finshes or black Ti instead.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Patrick Taylor
08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Keep up the great work and post more pictures! ;)

Keith Burns
08-06-2007, 2:11 PM
Great pens ! I like the "understated" curves on them. Looks just right.

Nancy Laird
08-06-2007, 3:31 PM
Paul, both pens look nice, but from a "color-match" point of view, the BOW would look better with gold than the nickel. The BOW is a very warm, brown-based color, and the nickel is a cool, black-based color. One doesn't wear brown shoes with a black suit; as a woman I'm color-conscious so I'd never put the nickel kit on that wood.

Just my .03 (inflation, you know). But what do I know? I'm a female.

Nancy (137 days)

Paul Heely
08-06-2007, 3:44 PM
Nancy I appreciate your input, I'm color blind so my color abilities are always a little in question, just ask my wife :o .

Its kind of funny funny because I made this pen to order and it was for a guy :eek: .

I have one more BOW pen to make to order but that one will be in satin gold. It'll be interesting to compare the color combo when that one is done.

Nancy Laird
08-06-2007, 5:17 PM
Its kind of funny funny because I made this pen to order and it was for a guy :eek:.

Paul, are you SURE that it wasn't my spouse who ordered that pen in that color combo? I have tried for YEARS to break him of that brown/black combo. Hasn't worked yet--I still have to inspect him before we go out the door, and he always asks if "this" shirt goes with "these" pants.:D

Nancy (137 days)

Paul Heely
08-06-2007, 5:44 PM
Nacy, The guy who ordered it is my office mate I'm pretty sure it wasn't your husband. Maybe I need to start requiring spousal consent before taking orders from guys.... :)