PDA

View Full Version : New member question

Bill Stevens
08-05-2007, 5:56 PM
Hello and thank you for your future responses. I recently purchased a General 650 cabinet saw. I also purchased a GI mobile base for it. Upon setting the saw in the base I noticed that the Cabinet saw leans to the left, the base states that in can hold 900lbs yet it seems that the weight of this saw is stressing the base. Has anyone had this similiar problem? Thank you , Bill Stevens

Chuck Lenz
08-05-2007, 6:17 PM
Are the casters on the left ajustable for height ?

scott spencer
08-05-2007, 7:42 PM
HI Bill - Hard for us to know for sure, but Chuck might be on the right track by suggesting some adjustments to the base. The base doesn't look distorted from what I can tell. If the left side isn't adjustable, maybe the far right is. If neither is adjustable, I'd just level the saw on the base by propping up the left side...are there adjustable feet under the saw?

Frederick Rowe
08-05-2007, 8:17 PM
Any chance the non-caster wheels are on the wrong sides; i.e., move the left to the right and right to left. They look like if they were installed that way the center axis would be lower.

Jim Heffner
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Bill, I'm not sure if this the solution to the problem or not. I know that most cabinet saws do not come with a mobile base assembly....most have some type of screw in leveling feet, as they were primarly designed to be
a stationary saw, that being said....are the screw in leveling feet installed in the saws base? if they are, could they be out of adjustment causing the saw to sit in an unlevel plane inside of that mobile base? just my thought on your situation....hope this helps. Jim Heffner

Bill Huber
08-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Some questions.

Is the base the same distance from the floor on both sides?

Not knowing how the base is put together, could you change the sides that large black wheels are mounted on. It looks like if they were turned over and put on the other side they would be higher up but I am not sure if you can.

Is the distance from the top of the base to point on the saw the same on both sides?

Bill Stevens
08-06-2007, 5:09 AM
Thank you for your responses, to answer some of your questions -- the left casters are not adjustable, the center wheels (non-caster) will only mount in that position, they're identical -- no left or right. base is the same height front and back, the saw has no leveling feet attached to it's base. I bought this saw last week along with this base. I setup the saw then assembled the base. The base is level and the same height all around when empty. The saw when sitting on the garage floor was perfectly level. When I put the saw in the base it's a 1/2" higher on the right. Measured from the far left edge of the fence rail to just past the right extension wing the right at the rail. I guess I'll pick the saw up and stick a 1/2" plank under the left side, but this puzzles me. This mobile base seems to flex under this weight. Thanks again for your suggestions. Bill Stevens

Andrew Williams
08-06-2007, 8:19 AM
I wonder if this particular one was welded incorrectly. It looks to me like the two left flanges were put too high for the base to be level. Why not call General? They seem to have excellent customer service.

Bill Stevens
08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I wonder if this particular one was welded incorrectly. It looks to me like the two left flanges were put too high for the base to be level. Why not call General? They seem to have excellent customer service.

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew, I called General and spoke to a gentlemen, after studying a few pics I'd sent he feel's that the bolt holes were drilled in the wrong location on the L-bracket -- They're shipping me 2 new brackets overnight! Thanks for your help. Bill Stevens

glenn bradley
08-06-2007, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Andrew, I called General and spoke to a gentlemen, after studying a few pics I'd sent he feel's that the bolt holes were drilled in the wrong location on the L-bracket -- They're shipping me 2 new brackets overnight! Thanks for your help. Bill Stevens

That's the response I was waiting for. GLad they are going to take care of you.